Dancing with the Stars: Season 19

AmericanRufus14AmericanRufus14 Posts: 46
Forum Member
Well, its that time again. Time to start the thread for the nineteenth (19th!) season of Dancing with the Stars in the USA. The Show starts September 15th, so the cast should be announced close to the end of August. As it stands these are the rumors Ive heard so far.

Kandi Buress or another of the Real Houswives- "Real" Housewfe
Andi Dorfman- Curennt Bachelorette/rumored reality show contestant #87
Whoever Andi picks on the Bachelorette- Whoever Andi picks on the Bachelorette
Tim Howard or Landon Donovan-Soccer players/members of the hot new sport.

Rumors will be updated as the come forward. Tom and Erin are expected to return, as are Carrie-Ann and Bruno. It is still up in the air as to weather or not Len will return.

Comments

• fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the thread. Not sure if I'll be watching this season - it's been a struggle for a while now :(. Needs a good crop of celebs and pros...... I'd like to wave bye-bye to Maks and Derek (and Tony, too, but there seems little chance of that). Artem would keep me interested :)

Sleb rumour - Shania Twain

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/07/16/shania-twain-dancing-with-the-stars-season-19/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim Howard or Landon Donovan-Soccer players/members of the hot new sport.

Doesn't Tim Howard play in the Premiership? Can't see him being able to join Bruno and Len on the transatlantic commute and play footie here... The MLS season overlaps with DwtS too (I think:confused:) - could Landon Donovon do both??
  • Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DWTS really needs to revamp itself and go back to its roots. A mix up in the pro's is needed, so many new people come in every season it's hard to like any of them! Pro's like Derek, Mark need to be given older contestants for a change instead of the clear finalists every series. A good crop of celebrities is needed too :) older series' had quite decent casts!
  • AmericanRufus14AmericanRufus14 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    fridgesoup wrote: »

I thought about including Shania (who I would love to see btw) but from what ive read in articles she said she would "consider" doing it. It doesent mean that she isn't doing but im just not getting my hopes high on it.

Another person I would be remiss for not mentioning would be The Walking Dead alumni Vincent M. Ward. If you search Twitter you cant search Dancing with the Stars without seeing a tweet with there support for #VincentMWardDWTSSeason19
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DWTS really needs to revamp itself and go back to its roots. A mix up in the pro's is needed, so many new people come in every season it's hard to like any of them! Pro's like Derek, Mark need to be given older contestants for a change instead of the clear finalists every series. A good crop of celebrities is needed too :) older series' had quite decent casts!
    BIB^^^ Much like Strictly, I rather suspect that DWTS might be running out of decent clebs who are available for three months, or who are interested in doing it.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    memmh wrote: »
    BIB^^^ Much like Strictly, I rather suspect that DWTS might be running out of decent clebs who are available for three months, or who are interested in doing it.

The difference is, the US has a talent pool quite literally double the size of the UK.

I do think it being on twice a year is a hindrance to who they can "get". The last truly spectacular cast for me was Season 14 (I think?) with Martina Navratilova, Gladys Knight et al.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference is, the US has a talent pool quite literally double the size of the UK.

They've also had twice as many series (almost)... so it balances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US population is roughly 5 times that of the UK. Two series of DwtS sees 24 celebs compared to 15 currently on SCD per year. Assuming the two populations are equally talented :p :kitty:, then Dwts should be able to field 75 celebs per year. (Apologies - I'm having a pedantic afternoon :blush:)
  • AmericanRufus14AmericanRufus14 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Aperently in a recent interview, Casting Director Deena Katz said that the season 19 cast will be announced on Sept. 4. 35 days to go.

also the beloved Maks has "retired" from being a pro on the show, although he never said anything about judging. hmmmmm.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/29//
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aperently in a recent interview, Casting Director Deena Katz said that the season 19 cast will be announced on Sept. 4. 35 days to go.

also the beloved Maks has "retired" from being a pro on the show, although he never said anything about judging. hmmmmm.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/07/29//

I don't agree with Maks being judge whilst Val is a pro. It was bad enough when it was a one off guest judge slot like Julianne or Maks previously but as a permanent role it is unfair to all the pros. Rather have Val as pro than Maks as a judge tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    I don't agree with Maks being judge whilst Val is a pro. It was bad enough when it was a one off guest judge slot like Julianne or Maks previously but as a permanent role it is unfair to all the pros. Rather have Val as pro than Maks as a judge tbh.

I still think Derek is the heir apparent to Len- or maybe Julianne if people can put down their pitchforks because she wasn't nice to darling Maks (Seriously, people need to grow up and get over that...). At least Julianne has judged Derek and been fair (it probably helps that both Amber and Amy were very good, so she didn't have to be harsh!). Val was eliminated by the time Maks came back in season 18 so it's yet to be seen if Maks could be as equally unbiased to Val, and I don't think he could given how partisan they've been towards one another...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I still think Derek is the heir apparent to Len- or maybe Julianne if people can put down their pitchforks because she wasn't nice to darling Maks (Seriously, people need to grow up and get over that...). At least Julianne has judged Derek and been fair (it probably helps that both Amber and Amy were very good, so she didn't have to be harsh!). Val was eliminated by the time Maks came back in season 18 so it's yet to be seen if Maks could be as equally unbiased to Val, and I don't think he could given how partisan they've been towards one another...

Derek was with Nene when he was judged by Julianne and she didn't judge fairly there imo she could have been harsher but wasn't. I didn't think it was a jazz dance tbh. Can't see Derek as a judge he likes performing too much and said in a interview he didn't know how Julianne does it as he couldn't be critical as he knows how hard the couples work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Derek was with Nene when he was judged by Julianne and she didn't judge fairly there imo she could have been harsher but wasn't. I didn't think it was a jazz dance tbh. Can't see Derek as a judge he likes performing too much and said in a interview he didn't know how Julianne does it as he couldn't be critical as he knows how hard the couples work.

Since all the judges gave NeNe 8s, i don't think Julianne was favouring Derek- also at that point it was Nene's best dance...

The other side of that coin is, though, that Derek will at some point retire from the competition, and whilst he'll in all likelihood keep the job of choreographing Macy's Stars of Dance, DWTS will want to give him a bit more exposure than that! Unless he goes into hosting (and I would hope that's in the Erin Andrews position because I think Tom Bergeron has to be made immortal, somehow!) then he's going to have to do something! Unless they make Macy's a weekly thing again...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The other side of that coin is, though, that Derek will at some point retire from the competition, and whilst he'll in all likelihood keep the job of choreographing Macy's Stars of Dance, DWTS will want to give him a bit more exposure than that! Unless he goes into hosting (and I would hope that's in the Erin Andrews position because I think Tom Bergeron has to be made immortal, somehow!) then he's going to have to do something! Unless they make Macy's a weekly thing again...

I admire Derek and (from time to time ;-)) I'm a fan, but I wish he would leave along with Maks. I think having excessively powerful pros is detrimental to the show as a whole. I understand why they want to keep him in the fold, but I think someone has to be brave and call time on a him competing. 'Promote' him to some kind of overall creative director, perhaps, or director of choreography like Jason Gilkison on Strictly (not that I think that has been a good thing, but, anyway...).

I'd hate him as presenter, though. So cheesy! Agree about Tom - he needs to be there forever :)

I read on Derek's fan site that the lunch with Amy and Oprah is going ahead and there was chatter about Oprah being the sort of contestant that could tempt Derek back into the ballroom. Don't think it's a serious rumour, but she would be a great catch for the show. Of course, only someone of Derek's stature would be worthy ......*roll eyes*

ETA: Did I imagine it, or was there talk of the results show coming back? :confused: I miss some of the things that made space for (including more pro dances, regular Macey's S of D and the confessionals).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admire Derek and (from time to time ;-)) I'm a fan, but I wish he would leave along with Maks. I think having excessively powerful pros is detrimental to the show as a whole. I understand why they want to keep him in the fold, but I think someone has to be brave and call time on a him competing. 'Promote' him to some kind of overall creative director, perhaps, or director of choreography like Jason Gilkison on Strictly (not that I think that has been a good thing, but, anyway...).

I'd hate him as presenter, though. So cheesy! Agree about Tom - he needs to be there forever :)

I read on Derek's fan site that the lunch with Amy and Oprah is going ahead and there was chatter about Oprah being the sort of contestant that could tempt Derek back into the ballroom. Don't think it's a serious rumour, but she would be a great catch for the show. Of course, only someone of Derek's stature would be worthy ......*roll eyes*

ETA: Did I imagine it, or was there talk of the results show coming back? :confused: I miss some of the things that made space for (including more pro dances, regular Macey's S of D and the confessionals).

It'll be interesting to see if there'll be the same sort of bias with a new creative producer, because, let's be honest, Maks could have written the script for last season and it still couldn't have gone any more in his favour, even all the twists swaps and pair ups, he had Val there to cover him! Maybe a new era of DTWS without OP professionals beckons...

As for Derek- well, as much as he's nearer the end of his time as a pro than the beginning, I can't see him leaving the show when he retires. He's DWTS's biggest selling point- not just in terms of mirror balls, which someone may eventually pass, but in terms of choreography- the fact he's getting noticed by the Emmey's is enormous for the show! When he does retire, it won't be to behind the curtain, popping up for a Macy's Stars of Dance every now and again, it will be where they can showcase his choreography- just without a celebrity. The longer Derek's relevant in show terms, the longer the awards will come flowing in...

The results shows are coming back, or at least for the first couple of weeks. I'm not sure if they're there for the whole series, but they should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see if there'll be the same sort of bias with a new creative producer, because, let's be honest, Maks could have written the script for last season and it still couldn't have gone any more in his favour, even all the twists swaps and pair ups, he had Val there to cover him! Maybe a new era of DTWS without OP professionals beckons...

BIB Yes, they really bent over backwards for him, didn't they? :blush: Let's hope it's exorcised his demons and he really does step away from the ballroom this time. I wouldn't be keen on him as a judge either, but I suppose I could live with it...

I'm cautiously optimistic the new producer will bring a new broom. I'd really like them to go back to basics in some areas, but perhaps that's an impossible dream....:p. Good news about the results show, though :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB Yes, they really bent over backwards for him, didn't they? :blush: Let's hope it's exorcised his demons and he really does step away from the ballroom this time. I wouldn't be keen on him as a judge either, but I suppose I could live with it...

I'm cautiously optimistic the new producer will bring a new broom. I'd really like them to go back to basics in some areas, but perhaps that's an impossible dream....:p. Good news about the results show, though :).

I don't think Maks could be an unbiased judge. I still think back to him giving Amber and Derek a 9 for their Jazz when the others gave 10s... The amount of support he gives Val- if Maks becomes judge Val has to retire or I don't think it will be fair.

I hope there are a few weeks without themes, or if they are themed, ones which influence song choice or costume, not dance. Stuff like Disney or Latin night are good, but all the guest judges last year were superfluous, with the exception of Julianne Hough and Kenny Ortega. none of the others impressed me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Maks could be an unbiased judge. I still think back to him giving Amber and Derek a 9 for their Jazz when the others gave 10s... The amount of support he gives Val- if Maks becomes judge Val has to retire or I don't think it will be fair.

I hope there are a few weeks without themes, or if they are themed, ones which influence song choice or costume, not dance. Stuff like Disney or Latin night are good, but all the guest judges last year were superfluous, with the exception of Julianne Hough and Kenny Ortega. none of the others impressed me.

Or moved to strictly. Not in favour with Maks as a judge. I liked Anna on afterbuzz she is critical but fair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In comments at PureDwtS, a poster has said that during a Q&A at a show, Sharna and Val - when asked if they would be back for the new season - said they 'find out if they have jobs on Wednesday' and to watch Good Morning America (which has been trailing a 'big announcement' next week).

Krystyn Burtt also did a couple of instagram updates last week in which she said the new producer has been meeting with all the talent still under contract from the past couple of years over the summer (pros and troupe) some who we haven't seen in a while, and that he wanted to be really prepared this year, so the pros would be finding out this week (think she said that on the 8th).

DwtS don't normally finalise the pros until after all the celebs have signed (ie very last minute), so either they have all their celebs in the bag, or they're going to match them all up 'somehow', a la Strictly...

I'd like to see Artem as a pro and would love to see Gleb return. Wonder if Dimity is still under contract.....:blush: Wouldn't mind if Peta was rested or given an older celeb. Hope Emma gets someone young, fit and fun. Surprising myself in saying I'd like Whitney back, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In comments at PureDwtS, a poster has said that during a Q&A at a show, Sharna and Val - when asked if they would be back for the new season - said they 'find out if they have jobs on Wednesday' and to watch Good Morning America (which has been trailing a 'big announcement' next week).

Krystyn Burtt also did a couple of instagram updates last week in which she said the new producer has been meeting with all the talent still under contract from the past couple of years over the summer (pros and troupe) some who we haven't seen in a while, and that he wanted to be really prepared this year, so the pros would be finding out this week (think she said that on the 8th).

DwtS don't normally finalise the pros until after all the celebs have signed (ie very last minute), so either they have all their celebs in the bag, or they're going to match them all up 'somehow', a la Strictly...

I'd like to see Artem as a pro and would love to see Gleb return. Wonder if Dimity is still under contract.....:blush: Wouldn't mind if Peta was rested or given an older celeb. Hope Emma gets someone young, fit and fun. Surprising myself in saying I'd like Whitney back, too.

Heard that Dmitry isn't under contact anymore. Chelsie, Anna and Lacey are being mentioned as they are still under contact
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine Kym is still under contract, given she said she would return to DWTS at some point having gone to Australia to judge. Not sure she'd be back this series if she's judging again, but maybe next season...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gleb retweeted this instagram from his wife. Sounds like he'll be back in some capacity.... :cool:
  • memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would imagine Kym is still under contract, given she said she would return to DWTS at some point having gone to Australia to judge. Not sure she'd be back this series if she's judging again, but maybe next season...
    From what's been said, Tristan was still under contract to DWTS and they transferred it to Strictly. Kym's contract might have been transferred to DWTS Oz. I hope not, becauser she's one of my favourite pros and I'd like to see her dancing again on DWTS USA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what's been said, Tristan was still under contract to DWTS and they transferred it to Strictly. Kym's contract might have been transferred to DWTS Oz. I hope not, becauser she's one of my favourite pros and I'd like to see her dancing again on DWTS USA.
    I like Kym too, but did think she was a bit wrung out in her last couple of seasons and needed a break. (Be happy to see her back though). I think she may well be under contract still, because she's been doing the DwtS cruises. Or perhaps she's out of contract and just staying in the fold. Either way, I guess that keeps a door open :).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Kym too, but did think she was a bit wrung out in her last couple of seasons and needed a break. (Be happy to see her back though). I think she may well be under contract still, because she's been doing the DwtS cruises. Or perhaps she's out of contract and just staying in the fold. Either way, I guess that keeps a door open :).

The thing is, Tristan is still a dancer, presumably on the same sort of wages and conditions he was signed onto at DWTS, so to transfer to Strictly is no biggy, it's just another person signing the same pay check (Except in pounds rather than dollars)

As for Kym, to judge in Australia would, presumably, require an entirely different contract and different terms. Whether that means she cancelled her contract with the U.S. or just signed a different one is a different matter. As Fridgesoup said, she's doing the cruises still, which would imply she still has connections to the American group. Either way, she's clearly in the ring to be contacted by the new execs. And, if you're going to bring anyone back for your first year as executive producer, you're going to want to bring back a 2 time Champion! (Hence I expect to see the likes of Cheryl, Karina and Derek on the show until they decide to quit, I doubt they'd ever be pushed!)