Freeview Reception Glitches on ITV and C4 channels

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Having problems rom CP aswell lost mux 2 compleatly on my Sony bravia IDTV so am using Sandy Heath at the moment
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been having problems as you can see in my thread below and have only just seen this thread and the problems i have been having are similar and im using the Dover transmitter in the south east...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=542519

Has anyone had the thin lines of interfeerence appearing on all analogue channels, just one thin line on the screen but it seems to go arround the screen... for example, it'll flash at the top, then middle, then bottom the top, then middle then bottom.... or random sparkles on the screen? if you read through my thread you'll have a better idea of it...
  • philnavigatorphilnavigator Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    This was a handy thread! I got my first ever freeview unit last week, in a Panasonic Ex85 DVDR, and have got most of the channels. Sadly though there is nothing at all from any ITV or CH4 channels. They all give a black screen and 'no signal' message.

I am still using the 8 year old aerial I used for analogue and its pointing at Preseli in SW Wales. Considering I always needed a booster with analogue anyway, am I right to suspect a new aerial is called for?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    ITV has suddenly disappeared from my freeview too. Nothing wrong with box or aerial, have been getting ITV fine for over a year, and still get BBC channels.
    Must be something wrong with ITV transmitter. I live in North wiltshire/cotswolds.
    Wonder if ITV advertisers know!!
    How do I check if my transmitter has problems?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Which transmitter do you get your signal from, if it's Beckley I believe there has been work going on in the last week and 2 new Muxs have appeared. See other thread. No one is quite sure what is happening their.
    Forum Member
    The whole thing has been a bit puzzling, as I have only had the EX85 for a fortnight, amd have no other experience of freeview.

The first autotune seemed OK, but did not detect any ITV/CH4 signals, placing S4C at No 3 and CH5 at No 4. Then a few days later it said a new DVB transmission was detected and prompted me to restart autotune, which I did, and it found ITV/CH4 this time. Trouble was, when I tried to record F1 and Skiing on them last weekend I got blackness and a no signal message.

Then yesterday it had the new DVB message, which | again followed, and it retuned without ITV/CH4 again, like it did the first time!

I have no idea if its my aerial, or the Preseli transmitter, as out here in rural Wales, there are not a lot of people locally who have freeview to compare with....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    My cousins son lives in West Wales and on Freeview he picked up more than one transmittor, sounds though you might be getting a signal from England over riding your local transmittor if you are getting Channel Four. Could be you are in a fringe area and on somedays your local transmittor signal is not strong enough ?.
    Forum Member
    I don't think its that. We live only 10 miles from the West coast, in a signal barren valley! No mobile network will give a signal within 1km in any direction of our house, the old CB radio we used years ago would only work to the west and for analogue tv, we never got even a tiny bit of signal from anything other than Preseli, and we only got that with an amplifier! We live on a SW facing side of a very large hill, with the aerial facing SW also, so if a signal came from England, it would have to be from Devon or Cornwall, have travelled a good 80 miles + and be coming at around a 70 degree angle to the line of the aerial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I have had Freeview for some time and a few days ago Film4 and another of others could not be tuned. As of today they are present but just a black screen. This is a problem with Freeview as no information is available anywhere to determine the problem Film4+1 is available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    It has been a few weeks now since I first noticed a problem with the ITV/Ch4 mux and reported on other threads. I think I have spent more time fiddling around with my aerial than I have watching tv, but today, with the aerial back in it's original configoration (The right way up and pointing vaguely towards Crystal Palace) I have got signal quality bouncing around from 90 to 100% meaning I have perfect sound and picture on these channels - for the toime being at least! However - The signal strength is still down to 47%, where it used to be around 60% - Just like the BBC channels which have remained constant whatever (within reason) I do to my aerial.

So it must be that ITV and CH4 etc. are transmitting on lower power these days from Crystal Palace - and apparently other transmitters as well. This means that users who maybe don't have the best aerial/stb setup are suffering quality issues with the signal as a lower strength signal will be more susceptible to atmospherics, electrical interference etc. If I knew who to write to/email then I really would like to know what is going on and whether full power will be restored - or is this a new green initiative!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I have a Sagem PVR and a Sony Bravia. Where I live in Yorkshire I get good signals from two transmitters so I have two separate signals for each mux. The Sony always autotunes to the first, and the Sagem to the second.

A little while ago, the ITV mux disappeared completely from my Sony and I manually retuned that mux (rather than trying an autotune) So now its fine.
    I don't know if the signal has come back since but it certainly seemed to be out for more than 24 hours before I retuned.

I can't remember exactly when it happened, but it could well have been about a month ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    About two weeks ago I lost ITV1 and several other common channels from the posts above. This is on my TopupTV Anytime PVR, and a Windows Media Center PC. Nothing has changed with my aerial and I have been using Freeview for years without trouble. I am tuned to Crystal Palace too. Is there someone to complain to about it? Or is it just tough luck.... BBC1 and all the rotten channels work fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    About two weeks ago I lost ITV1 and several other common channels from the posts above. .... I am tuned to Crystal Palace too. Is there someone to complain to about it? Or is it just tough luck.... BBC1 and all the rotten channels work fine.

Me too! I found this link: http://www.ukfree.tv/txdetail.php?a=TQ339712

This shows that Mux 2 & A are 'low', not sure exactly what this means.

I have 3 Freeview boxes, all unable to receive these ITV, C4, Five, channels etc. BBC Channels are perfect, with good signal strength. Very annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    I get Mux 2 in exeptionally marginal quality which is probably down to the old cabling here, although I do recieve mux D perfectly well even though it is about 12 channels out of band for my aerial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hiya there

I'm in Sheffield, and i have the same problem all the ITV channels are simply missing, , Most of multiplex2 channels i get fine.

I live right of top of a transmitter so no reception problems, the signal is always full bar, as indeed is the quality, the channels simple arnt transmitting, simple as.

As to why, I have no idea, bit of a pain though as i do enjoy browsing whats on with my digi box.

zoo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Zooburner, I'm also in Sheffield (Broomhill and very close to the transmitter). We lost ITV 1, 2, 3 but NOT 4 a few days ago. Interestingly, though, we have a DVD recorder with inbuilt Freeview and they are all working fine on that.

Anyone any ideas as to how to recover them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hiya theer Jan,

A simple re-scan today seems to have sorted the problem , i use a sony box if thats any help

zoo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I too have had problems with the Mux2 (ITV, Channel 4,Channel5 etc) channels over the past few weeks. My aerial is pointing to the Crystal Palace transmitter and all the other channels are OK. I'm in Purley, South London

My friend who lives in Reigate has exactly the same problem so I don't think it's an aerial thing, but rather a weak signal.

Roll on 4 April!
  • brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susalling wrote: »
    I too have had problems with the Mux2 (ITV, Channel 4,Channel5 etc) channels over the past few weeks. My aerial is pointing to the Crystal Palace transmitter and all the other channels are OK. I'm in Purley, South London

My friend who lives in Reigate has exactly the same problem so I don't think it's an aerial thing, but rather a weak signal.

Roll on 4 April!

As you both live south of CP, your aerials will be pointing north. In the present atmospheric conditions, you're probably receiving interference from Belmont (Lincs) on UHF 22 (London MUX 2). As you say, this problem will disappear when CP goes through DSO in April. The power will then be increased from 20kW to 200kW. The Public Service Broadcasts (PSBs) will occupy 3 of the existing analogue frequencies, (UHF ch23, 26 & 30), so will be even less prone to interference from other transmitters.

Chris.