Self-destructing DVD's

Do people think these will catch. From what I gather they're aimed at the DVD rental market. Maybe these could be used in car DVD systems.

More details here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3064327.stm

Comments

• comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like another way of creating an environmental disaster. From what I gather CD/DVD's are extrememly bad for recycling. If the fact that AOL have been inundated with complaints about their marketing procedures of multiple issues of CDROM's of there software, then I reckon this is asking for trouble.

Looking at the news that some film producers are now realising that issuing DVD's straight to sale, rather than delay sales by firstly renting, creates more cash I can't see this taking off.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of us have already got self destructing DVDs unfortunatley :eek: :cry:http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/63430/ds.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they have already thought of this, they have set up a system where you send them to a company who recycle them in to car parts, etc.
  • comicsansserifcomicsansserif Posts: 3,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they have already thought of this, they have set up a system where you send them to a company who recycle them in to car parts, etc.
    This is unfortunatetly the problem. They are converting high quality plastic into parts which only need lower quality. It's very costly to recycle it back into high quality plastic and so they are wasting resources by using it to produce disposable products.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't this all been done before?

I seem to recall DIVX movies (not to be confused with the DivX movie format now used)

This form of DVD allowed limited playback of DVD films, so you could rent a DVD movie, then after a play it would stop working and you'd throw it away.

It was a total flop as I recall......

How come big companies don't have very long memories!?!

More info on the old DIVX format HERE
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only advantage over DIVX is you can play them on a standard DVD player.