Options

Problem with my kitten

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 229
Forum Member
Hi everyone

We got two new kittens about a month ago now and they are settling in nicely. They are brother and sister and have so much energy it's unreal.

The night before last, I noticed on the boy that he had a large red, angry looking sore-like "thing" on his neck (to the right of his face, not underneath). All the hair around the "thing" has gone and he is constantly scratching it.

As we were going to the vets the day after (their first jabs) we thought we'd mention it then. As the vet checked him over, he noticed another "thing" (far less aggressive) underneath the neck.

The vet didn't seem too concerned and seemed to think it was a bite from his sister that had perhaps become infected. He gave her a long-term antibiotic injection and said it should clear up soon. He ruled out ringworm at this stage.

I'm just so worried about him. I wondered if any of you had encountered the same thing and could offer me some sympathetic words?! :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My kado who isnt a aggresive cat had something similar on the side of his face too. The neighbourhood bully cat hit him about a month before and cut his face there was fur everywhere. That healed up then about 3 wks ago he jumped down from the top of the unit and he had all blood down the side of his face. I think he had a abcess that had burst causing it too go like it. If there had been a fight in the house i would have heard it. Then about a week later it happened a little a bit above it. Both times the fur went but it is growing back nicely. IT is more likely that his sister has done it. If it grows or gets bigger in size i would pop along too the vets. Dont worry these things happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    My kado who isnt a aggresive cat had something similar on the side of his face too. The neighbourhood bully cat hit him about a month before and cut his face there was fur everywhere. That healed up then about 3 wks ago he jumped down from the top of the unit and he had all blood down the side of his face. I think he had a abcess that had burst causing it too go like it. If there had been a fight in the house i would have heard it. Then about a week later it happened a little a bit above it. Both times the fur went but it is growing back nicely. IT is more likely that his sister has done it. If it grows or gets bigger in size i would pop along too the vets. Dont worry these things happens.

Thank you. I'm glad that someone can reassure me. Sorry that it happened to your cat but I'm glad it doesn't sound like something sinister.

Fingers crossed!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat bites almost always turn into abcesses and need treating with antibiotics as they tend to be deep punctures which don't bleed much (initially), close over quickly and then the infection grows under the skin. After a while the abcess bursts with blood and pus all over the place. The fur goes from over it as well, and it's also common to get two or more wounds from their canine teeth.

I found out that everyone bitten by a cat that goes to the doctors will get antibiotics when one of mine bite me at the vets. It was at 5pm and by 8am the next morning it was swollen and red.

I would always take a cat with an abcess to the vets - the treatment seems to be a long-lasting antibiotic injection and cats heal really well. Errol had one over his eye, disgusting, the only time I've seen solid pus, 3 weeks later you couldn't see where it had been.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    one of my cats gets this a lot - I suspect from play fighting with her sisters

however I asked the vet once and he called it a hot spot and said if it carried on she might need allergy testing as it can be a sign that her food doesnt agree with her

however shes healthy and happy

the vet gave me some antibiotic cream (fucidin) and it lasts ages so I put a bit on if it starts looking angry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All great advice. Thank you all - you've put my mind at rest.

It seems to be a bit better today so I think the antibiotics are doing their job.

Phew!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UPDATE

My kitten's neck seemed to be clearing up but he scratches it all the time and any scab that has grown, is ripped off and causes bleeding.

We've booked him in at the Vet in a day or so (didn't want to see another vet as our original one will, hopefully, remember him) so hopefully he can help us.

I feel so sorry for the little fella as it is obviously itchy - as it would be for us humans - but he doesn't know not to scratch it.

:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you have him booked in at the vets. Scabs tend too itch when they started too heal up. It drives my maisey moo barmey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad you have him booked in at the vets. Scabs tend too itch when they started too heal up. It drives my maisey moo barmey.

It's so frustrating! We try to stop her scratching but we can't watch her 24/7 and if it itches, she will go crazy until it's gone!

She can't even wear a cone (if the vet suggests it) as the scabs are where the cone will lie!

Ahhhhhhhhh!!! Poor lil Caesar! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guinness was realy bad with it about 3 years ago. It was under his chin and was constanly there. I do have photos of it. He did have too wear a collar. I had too clean the scabs off him as when they start too heal they scratch them they can rip them off. Grosse i know but it did work. We also found lucky the kitten and guinness took too him and they always cuddled up together i once found lucky licking and nibbling at his wound within 2 wks it had gone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My guinness was realy bad with it about 3 years ago. It was under his chin and was constanly there. I do have photos of it. He did have too wear a collar. I had too clean the scabs off him as when they start too heal they scratch them they can rip them off. Grosse i know but it did work. We also found lucky the kitten and guinness took too him and they always cuddled up together i once found lucky licking and nibbling at his wound within 2 wks it had gone.

Interesting.

His sister, Cleo, has stared licking the scabby areas but we have stopped her as we weren't sure if it was good for her to be licking them...:o

Maybe we'll leave them to it. She licks every other part of him (and I mean every!) so I'm sure a scab won't hurt!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky was only about 12wks old at the most when he did this. We did stop him but you cant watch him 24/7.
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trouble with licking scabs is it can be like you and I picking them - they don't get better, or take a long time to do so. Have you got to the vets yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had one cat that would fight with everything, he was always coming in with bites. I used to bathe them with warm salty water and cover them in honey, which generally worked quite well. A couple of times they got infected, which was revolting because of all the muck that came out :eek:, but again bathing and honey did the trick. The cat's still with us, he's 15 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just got back from the vets (second trip about this condition).

He said they do look like they are healing but not as fast as he had hoped.

He said he still thinks they are bites from Cleo but they are looking very sore. He gave him another antibiotic (tablet this time as the injection isn't strong enough) and he is now on a course of 10 days worth.

He is absolutely fine in himself but the vet agreed, just one swipe from himself or his sister, and the scab will open (yuck!) and blood will pour. Also, if he has a bit of litter or food or dust in his claw, that could then of course, lead to infection etc.

He's going back in a week or so for round two of the jabs so he should be showing a vast improvement by then.

Here's hoping!