Options

UK Spiders?

Riley_StuRiley_Stu Posts: 263
Forum Member
Are uk house spiders poison? I hate spiders and they creep me out but I have no idea why they seem so scary? :eek:

Today I have seen 3 spiders in my flat :eek: :(

Comments

• Options
    bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there are one or two now that are but the majority of ones you get in the house aren't. What I don't like is that they move so quick and make me jump. However, I never kill them but put them outside.

I am not saying you do, but please don't kill spiders. Makes me shudder when I hear people kill them by whacking them with a slipper or whatever :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riley_Stu wrote: »
    Are uk house spiders poison? I hate spiders and they creep me out but I have no idea why they seem so scary? :eek:

Today I have seen 3 spiders in my flat :eek: :(

Do you mean, are they poisonous, no they are not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bridgetb wrote: »
    I believe there are one or two now that are but the majority of ones you get in the house aren't. What I don't like is that they move so quick and make me jump. However, I never kill them but put them outside.

I am not saying you do, but please don't kill spiders. Makes me shudder when I hear people kill them by whacking them with a slipper or whatever :(

To be honest I don't kill spiders as everytime I see one I just walk away from it quickly and leave it to crawl. :)

Once there was a big one in the living room so I decided to go in the bedroom and when I came back in half hour later it gone and don't know where it went to :eek:
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean are they venomous, no they aren't. As for poisonous, I doubt that anyone has eaten enough of them to find out! :D
  • Options
    OtherguyOtherguy Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    House spiders aren't, but the false widow spider can give you quite a nasty bite, similar to being stung by a wasp. They're normally found outside though, and aren't very common. I hate spiders.
  • Options
    simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They say when we sleep we swallow at least 3 a year!
  • Options
    UndefinedUndefined Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Otherguy wrote: »
    House spiders aren't, but the false widow spider can give you quite a nasty bite, similar to being stung by a wasp. They're normally found outside though, and aren't very common. I hate spiders.

Apparently they're getting quite common now. At least, that's what it said the other day when I found one in our house!
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    All spiders are actually venomous but none of the UK spiders are dangerous in that respect. The fast majority UK spiders will not be able to bite through human skin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simon40 wrote: »

That's an internet fact, not a real fact.
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but you know what they're like.
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Otherguy wrote: »

I got bitten by a False Widow when I lived in Kent,it dropped down my sleave when I was clearing out the shed. It actually made me feel quite unwell for a few hours, like I had the beginning of a cold, achey and fluey! There were absolutely loads in there! They are mostly harmless and non aggressive in that they will run away from you.Clearly the one down my sleave felt threatened!

They're pretty much located only in southern England!

The woodlouse spider also give a nasty nip but not venemous to humans I believe!
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I live out in the sticks (my house backs onto a forest), and I don't think I've even swallowed one in 3 years. My cats keep the house insect free in the summer as they use the house as their hunting ground for anything with more than 4 legs. As they've never had a reaction to spiders they've eaten I can pretty much state that they're not poisonous, or at least to cats anyway.

As a few people have stated, most spiders are venomous (I think the Bagheera kiplingi isn't due to it being primarily vegetarian and it has the ability to actually digest it's food), but it's to what degree they're venomous. According to Wikipedia there were about 100 deaths attributed to spider bites in the WORLD over 100 YEARS (so that's an average of one a year), while there were 1500 cases of people dying due to jellyfish stings. So assuming that there is one fatal bite a year and 7 billion people in the world, the chance of you receiving a bite that would be fatal is 1 in 7 billion. Add into that the fact that you live in the UK (which has no known native species that can provide a bite that would be fatal to a human, then your chances lessen even more.

I actually had a chile rose tarantula when I was younger, and it bit me a couple of times, mainly because I made a sudden move while holding it, but it just felt like a really bad sting and didn't really have any negative effects apart from the painful side of it. I'm not saying for you to keep spiders, but considering the amount of people that think they're deadly and can kill you just for the fun of it, it's actually wrong.

I'd like to second what Bridgetb says as well, and try your best not to kill them. Pop a glass tumbler over them upside down and then slide some card under them and move them outside. They don't bother me or s the missus at all, but we've had to start doing it because the cats seem to take these little arachnid squatters rather personally, and will take them out with the utmost prejudice. Spiders are actually pretty handy to have around as they keep flies and other annoying airborne insects at bay. If you place them by your bins outside, they'll actually help keep the fly problem down, as well as make lots of cool looking webs.
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Not another spider thread!
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was using a towel to dry the inside of the kitchen window yesterday, after a couple of minutes a HUGE fecking spider fell out it and I freaked.:o
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    It's those tiny red spiders I don't like. I can't sit outside on the flags at all in the summer after about 9am because that's when they wake up and crawl over every available surface like a miniature red plague.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had to off another two today. seem to get the long legged, small bodied house spiders with rather horrible regularity ..

they should realise that if they step foot (or feet...) in my flat, they ain't going home ..
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    there are some:
    a dozen or more species resident in the UK are capable of causing a significant or unpleasant bite.

some reported bites.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One once crawled onto my face while I was sleeping. It was huge though, way too big for me to swallow.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    One once crawled onto my face while I was sleeping. It was huge though, way too big for me to swallow.

jesus f*** i would`ve shat it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have just rinsed a spider in the bath down the plug hole but is it better this way instead of killing it? would it have survive in the water? :confused::)
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riley_Stu wrote: »
    I have just rinsed a spider in the bath down the plug hole but is it better this way instead of killing it? would it have survive in the water? :confused::)
    Yes, it will crawl back up via the toilet bowl with a vengeance and bite you on the bum for trying to drown it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, it will crawl back up via the toilet bowl with a vengeance and bite you on the bum for trying to drown it. :D

Oh great, not :D :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    i dont kill spiders either.....because im so damn terrified of them i dont go near them but if i could i would 100% kill them uchhh!!!!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All spiders are actually venomous but none of the UK spiders are dangerous in that respect. The fast majority UK spiders will not be able to bite through human skin.

Also, some people are more susceptible to the venom than others due to allergies etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jesus f*** i would`ve shat it.

Well if you ate it you certainly would :)