HMV are crafty

Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you go on there website at the moment, they've got this blue cross sale where anything with a blue cross next to it has 25% off the price

The prices however are ridiculous, how are they still open????/

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Give it 6-9 months and they won’t be.....
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

I thought they would have shut down a long time ago, I wouldnt mind but you've got films on there for 20 quid that you can get for 3 quid in tesco:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you go on there website at the moment, they've got this blue cross sale where anything with a blue cross next to it has 25% off the price

They put the prices of various things up a few days back to counter the money they are giving away with the 25% off.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    such a shame if hmv goes. there will hardly be any record shops left.

kids miss out on the excitement of going to a record shop on saturday morning and buying whatever single or album had come out. everything is so readily available now.

haha that makes me sound ancient but i think it's true.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PJ68 wrote: »

and when they are gone, watch all the other retailers (online or otherwise) putting their prices up because they can....;)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Aye, not that crafty after all :D
  • BlurayBluray Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

kids miss out on the excitement of going to a record shop on saturday morning and buying whatever single or album had come out. everything is so readily available now.

I get what you're saying but they don't miss out because going to a record shop was never applicable to them.

Their "excitement" is the instant gratification of downloads.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not for this generation the thrill of wandering into a backstreet record shop on a wet wednesday afternoon and discovering in the racks a rare 12 inch single you’d been after and all for a bargain price.

You can’t miss what you’ve never had but I feel sorry that the young ’uns will never have that joyful experience. I guess things like Record Store Day, limited edition runs and the resurgence of boutique vinyl issues go some way to recapturing that but I don’t see it as anything other than faddish pandering, pandering that the vast majority of music consumers (download thieves for the most part) don’t give a tuppeny shit about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Will be sad times if HMV close down, I used to get a few CD's and DVD's when in the bundle offers, but once Asda and alike started entertainment products they began to lose business.
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If HMV goes, this leaves the new releases to the supermarkets who will probably start a cartel of pricing while the back catalogue will go to the likes of CeX, Poundland and Morrisons who all sell second hand titles.

Yes, there's online, but there's nothing like delving into HMV's back catalogue in-store.
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be such a shame if HMV go. There won't be any record stores on the highstreet :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    If HMV goes, this leaves the new releases to the supermarkets who will probably start a cartel of pricing while the back catalogue will go to the likes of CeX, Poundland and Morrisons who all sell second hand titles.

Yes, there's online, but there's nothing like delving into HMV's back catalogue in-store.
    Agreed, I love going in to HMV and having a browse, even though I rarely buy anything. They're screwing themselves over though. I wanted to buy Suits (Season 1) yesterday... £7.50 at Amazon
    £28 at HMV

No prizes for guessing who got my custom

If I was HMV here's what I'd do:
    1) Drop prices as low as possibe, whilst still covering all costs and debt repayments and perhaps a bit of profit
    2) Drop duplicate stores
    3) Perhaps look at smaller/cheaper stores
    and if things really go to shit I'd look at going on-line only, closing all but the flagship stores and dropping prices to match
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV will go under within a year i bet. They're trying the same things that Comet did to avoid administration. Only a matter of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're not the only ancient one, my friend.

I do the same myself and shop around on Amazon, Zavvi, Shopto, etc for the best prices. But I still sometimes use their (surprisingly) good online delivery when the price is right.

And I still like to go in and browse around for bargains and just to window shop.
    I got all the "Elm Street" films on DVD for £7, and all the Basil Rathbone - Sherlock Holmes movies for £9!
    I wouldn't have seen those unless I was aimlessly milling around in the store, and it's those impulse buys that will be missed.

Plus the fact I don't want to live in a world where the High Street consists of Starbucks - Cash Converters - Corals repeated all done the street!
    In the words of Harry Enfield: "Is that wot you want? 'Cos that's wot'll happen!" :mad:
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The blue cross sale seemed very popular in their Oxford Street store on Saturday. More like the old times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, I love going in to HMV and having a browse, even though I rarely buy anything. They're screwing themselves over though. I wanted to buy Suits (Season 1) yesterday... £7.50 at Amazon
    £28 at HMV

No prizes for guessing who got my custom

If I was HMV here's what I'd do:
    1) Drop prices as low as possibe, whilst still covering all costs and debt repayments and perhaps a bit of profit
    2) Drop duplicate stores
    3) Perhaps look at smaller/cheaper stores
    and if things really go to shit I'd look at going on-line only, closing all but the flagship stores and dropping prices to match

Any other suggestions, because they're doing all that and it ain't working.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,684
    Forum Member
    I checked some of the "Blue Cross" prices - £12 for some of the Blu Rays was hardly a bargain and could be found cheaper on Amazon.
    Forum Member
    Smerph wrote: »
    Any other suggestions, because they're doing all that and it ain't working.

If £28 is the best they can manage when Amazon can do £7.50 they're beyond saving...

Do we know if HMV use a supplier or go direct? cos I imagine if they were to go direct and point out that the UK's only major high street media retailer is about to go under, they may be able to negotiate a better deal. I wouldn't imagine HMV going under works in anyone's favour really...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The prices are not discounted, you put a discount code in at the checkout to get the discount.

But yes, even with the discount at checkout, still quite expensive.
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've heard a lot of backlash over them and their prices are high. Just what are they playing at?
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my town, two HMVs have shut down, leaving one and they've also open a HMV Pop Up shop. What's the point of that?

I understand it's a short term thing, but still? They;re not really that cheap even though they have a sale going on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    In my town, two HMVs have shut down, leaving one and they've also open a HMV Pop Up shop. What's the point of that?

I understand it's a short term thing, but still? They;re not really that cheap even though they have a sale going on.

Birmingham?

The point of pop up shops is to give a retailer extra selling space for the small (profitable) time of the year that it is needed. Quite sensible business, especially with some of the cheap rent deals out there on the high st.
    Forum Member

Nottingham? Cos they had three branches, a shit one, an alright one and a bloody massive one. They kept the alright one (much to the annoyance of their customers) and closed the other two. They also own Fopp, which has a branch in the town.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a classic scam. There's not much British people love more than a bargain and these sort of 'panic sales' usually get people rushing through the doors (anyone remember the Woolworths closing down sale?). However, like with Woolworths, DVD/CD stock is very easy to resell back to trade so there's no point in HMV taking any kind of serious hit on the price, even if they are about to go into administration.

Higher speed broadband and larger hard drives means that HMV's death is inevitable. We're a pirate nation now . . .
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why the hell would I even think about buying films cheap from Amazon, let alone paying HMV's extortionate prices, when perfect copies of Les Miserables and Django Unchained are already freely available from the good ship Skull & Crossbones?