What the 50th cast should look like.

FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
Forum Member
Matt Smith and Jenna-Louise Coleman.

David Tennant and two classic Doctors, most realistically Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy.

Some much loved classic monsters - Mondas Cybermen, Zygons, Autons & the Blue + Silver Daleks.

Carole Ann Ford to return as Susan Foreman, because it's just right to bring back the first face we basically ever saw on the show.

And maybe bring back Jo Grant during a phone call to The Doctor to tell him about Sarah Jane's death perhaps.

I really don't see why Steven Moffat would want to use a 50th Anniversary to attract new viewers. We are celebrating the past 50 years yet he's acting like 50 years has been unwritten.

I want to see at least a few Classic elements, even just for cameo appearances, or I'm going to be disappointed :(

Comments

• Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I have one person who I want back above all others: Ian Chesterton. I also bitterly wish we could have had Barbara alongside him.

I would love to have Susan back but in the classic series Carole Ann Ford wasn't exactly my favourite actress... William Russell, on the other hand, is always excellent and Ian formed a really unique relationship with the Doctor. Given that he's never returned since leaving the First Doctor but the actor is still alive and well, it would be incredibly powerful for the Doctor and Ian to be reunited.

I'm aware that a comic has recently reunited the Doctor with Ian and Barbara, but as far as I'm concerned that isn't canon, considering it's such a big event done so willy-nilly.
  • Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shame Elisabeth Sladen / Sarah Jane Smith never lived to see the 50th :(
  • Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctors. Matt Smith, David Tennant, Paul McGann, Tom Baker (Because he missed the 20th)
    Companions. Rose, Clara, Romana, Jo, Susan, Peri. Jamie, Ian
    Enemies. Daleks, Cybermen, The Master, Zygons
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I want to see at least a few Classic elements, even just for cameo appearances, or I'm going to be disappointed :(

You're not going to get all you want. From what is known, there are some things you want, it will celebrate the history but also not be a total fanwank, it will be a coherent story, so new and casual viewers can enjoy too and set up for the next, however long, the show will run. That's how it should be.
  • KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »

David Tennant and two classic Doctors, most realistically Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy.

Some much loved classic monsters - Mondas Cybermen, Zygons, Autons & the Blue + Silver Daleks.

Carole Ann Ford to return as Susan Foreman, because it's just right to bring back the first face we basically ever saw on the show.

And maybe bring back Jo Grant during a phone call to The Doctor to tell him about Sarah Jane's death perhaps.

I really don't see why Steven Moffat would want to use a 50th Anniversary to attract new viewers. We are celebrating the past 50 years yet he's acting like 50 years has been unwritten.

I am with you on this. I do not have high hopes unfortunatly.
    You're not going to get all you want. From what is known, there are some things you want, it will celebrate the history but also not be a total fanwank, it will be a coherent story, so new and casual viewers can enjoy too and set up for the next, however long, the show will run. That's how it should be.

Whilst I agreed with you for the most part I disagree with your statement which I have hightlighted.
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I would have loved for Christopher Eccleston to return alongside Smith and Tennant, in a sort of modern day version of The Three Doctors. They could even have thrown in a spin on the "so you're my replacements..." line. :D

A return from Paul McGann would have been nice too of course, and some cameo appearances from his surviving predecessors.

I agree on Carole Ann Ford but to be honest I'm more keen to see William Russell. I feel it will be a missed opportunity if we don't get him for at least one scene in the 50th. I can't see him being around for any future anniversaries, sadly.

I'm not keen on Rose coming back, I would have preferred Donna personally.

But who knows what surprises are in store?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Such a shame Elisabeth Sladen / Sarah Jane Smith never lived to see the 50th :(

From that sentiment you should also add:
    Verity Lambert
    Sydney Newman
    Donald Wilson
    CE Webber
    William Hartnell
    Patrick Troughton
    Jon Pertwee
    Jaqueline Hill
    Mary Tamm
    Adrienne Hill
    Michael Craze
    Nicholas Courtney
    Caroline John
    Ian Marter
    David Brierly
    Douglas Adams
    Roger Delgado
    Anthony Ainley

and I am sure many others who contributed to 50 years of entertaining (and sometimes frightening) Saturday evenings
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Verity Lambert
    Sydney Newman
    Donald Wilson
    CE Webber
    William Hartnell
    Patrick Troughton
    Jon Pertwee
    Jaqueline Hill
    Mary Tamm
    Adrienne Hill
    Michael Craze
    Nicholas Courtney
    Caroline John
    Ian Marter
    David Brierly
    Douglas Adams
    Roger Delgado
    Anthony Ainley

and I am sure many others who contributed to 50 years of entertaining (and sometimes frightening) Saturday evenings

The one difference there is that if Lis Sladen was still alive you could almost guarantee that she would be part of the programme. You can't with any of the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth:-

Carole Ann Ford

That's it

Maybe William Russell as well. I prefer Ian to Susan but Susan is more important to the mythos of the programme.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Verity Lambert
    Sydney Newman
    Donald Wilson
    CE Webber
    William Hartnell
    Patrick Troughton
    Jon Pertwee
    Jaqueline Hill
    Mary Tamm
    Adrienne Hill
    Michael Craze
    Nicholas Courtney
    Caroline John
    Ian Marter
    David Brierly
    Douglas Adams
    Roger Delgado
    Anthony Ainley

I think the poster was mentioning Liz Sladen because she tragically only just fell short of making it to see the 50th. As you mentioned Mary Tamm sadly would also apply but a lot of people in that list are long gone.

William Hartnell, died 38 years ago and would now be 105 years old had he lived this long :)
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    A return from Paul McGann would have been nice too of course

If the rumours are true, and the fact they are from the source who confirmed alot of the finale weeks ago, then we will get some McGann action before the 50th....
    Forum Member
    crowby1 wrote: »
    I think the poster was mentioning Liz Sladen because she tragically only just fell short of making it to see the 50th. As you mentioned Mary Tamm sadly would also apply but a lot of people in that list are long gone.

William Hartnell, died 38 years ago and would now be 105 years old had he lived this long :)

Almost everyone on that list, including William Hartnell, could theoretically still be alive now. Nicholas Courtney, Caroline John, Ian Marter, Anthony Ainley and Douglas Adams aren't exactly ancient... none of them would be past their early 80s yet. Douglas Adams would only just be 60!

And before you say "early 80s is too old to have appeared", William Russell is in fine form, is a real possibility for the 50th, and is pushing 90. A lot of those people on the list therefore really could have been there. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Almost everyone on that list, including William Hartnell, could theoretically still be alive now. Nicholas Courtney, Caroline John, Ian Marter, Anthony Ainley and Douglas Adams aren't exactly ancient... none of them would be past their early 80s yet. Douglas Adams would only just be 60!

And before you say "early 80s is too old to have appeared", William Russell is in fine form, is a real possibility for the 50th, and is pushing 90. A lot of those people on the list therefore really could have been there. :(

None of which invalidates crowby's point.
    Forum Member
    Jethryk wrote: »
    None of which invalidates crowby's point.

Oh I know, but I was saying that just because some people died long before the anniversary doesn't make it any less tragic that they didn't make it - especially people like Ian Marter and Adrienne Hill who died many years before their time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I know, but I was saying that just because some people died long before the anniversary doesn't make it any less tragic that they didn't make it - especially people like Ian Marter and Adrienne Hill who died many years before their time.

No of course there is a bigger picture here, but limiting it to the question of a cast for the Special. I'm guessing that the point meant was that Lis Sladen would have had a place in it. Being already in the fold, she was already the link to the Classic Series.

I don't think anyone would suggest that her death was anymore sadder than anyone else, especially those that you mention who died really quite young.

Anyway getting off topic so I will reiterate my view.

I never wanted a cast of thousands just a link to the very beginning of the show.

Therefore:-

Matt and Jenna.

Carole Anne Ford and maybe William Russell.
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Russell T Davies should appear in a cameo again like he did in End Of Time Part 2.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know after last night's episode I would be quite happy with body doubles. I don't care if that wasn't Tom Baker, he was wearing his clothes and it was amazing!

I do wan't a proper Ian appearance though.
    Forum Member
    Russell T Davies should appear in a cameo again like he did in End Of Time Part 2.

He did? Where was that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did? Where was that?

I seem to remember a guy who looked like RTD from a far, but when you actually look closer it's clearly not him.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    If last night's finale is anything to go by, Moffat is definitely going to represent the Classic Doctors as best he can in the 50th.
  • Matt7Matt7 Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As most of the actors still alive who played the Doctor in the classic series no longer look like they used to it would be hard to bring them back. Former companions is a different matter though as they are supposed to have aged. It would be nice to see Ace, Peri, Tegan, Leela, Jo, Jamie, Ian and Susan involved in some way as they were the central companion to their respective Doctor. I would of choose Sarah Jane over Leela but that as we all know isnt possible now.

Also if the story is about the time wars then it would be good to see Romana involved as well.
  • LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    He did? Where was that?

When Gallifrey is coming crashing toward earth Russell T Davies runs towards camera in the street wearing a purple jumper.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Gallifrey is coming crashing toward earth Russell T Davies runs towards camera in the street wearing a purple jumper.

I think you need to watch it again 'cause that's not him.

And this is RTD's opinion on writer cameos anyway:

"I despise writers who do that..."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's still rather unlikely, but after last night's episode I've got just a bit more hope now that Eceleston may appear in a minor role. If Hurt is the real ninth incarnation surely it's logical we may just see his downfall, repentance and regeneration into the Nine we know?