Average bill £55-60 from Virgin Media

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
Forum Member
I've got a broadband (L), tv (M), and phone package from Virgin Media. For this my average bill is £55-60 per month, depending on calls made. Am I paying too much?
I read on the Virgin website that what I am getting for my money is less than their current 'starter' package, which includes the five main HD channels and a tivo box. Even after the initial six month half price offer, It's still works out £10-15 cheaper per month. I don't get HD or a tivo box for my £55-60. I've been a Virgin customer for at least 15 years.
Should I ask for a better deal?

Comments

• Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just over £60 a month (including Line rental), will get you the Premiere collection, which is 60Mb broadband, TV XL with TiVo and an extra V HD box and Talk Weekends (free weekend calls). If you pay the line rental up front the cost works out at the equivalent of £58 a month.

So definitely worth you looking to change package I would say.
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup my misses had the same problem with virgin, the bill has gone up I think it was £35 when she first signed up now its about £50. Retention wouldn't shift on anything, and considering you get better for less if a new customer, they just offered her more things with a slightly bigger price, when really she didn't want more. We quizzed them over dropping the TV and just having BB and a phone line, but they quoted some stupid price.
    I think she has
    tv L (it maybe M+)
    BB 20mb
    and a phone line

She has decided to dump virgin, just have freeview and BB/telephone line from another supplier £18 a month

To be honest I have virgin at my house, I don't think I would miss the XL package TV that much, as I watch most things online.
  • Tavis75Tavis75 Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you're out of contract you can switch to the same packages available to new subscribers, you just don't get the "Half Price for 6 Months" deal.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was paying £60 a month with Virgin a couple of years back. Went back to Sky on offer which they diddled me out of, although they apologised and gave me £30 a month back for three months. Then upped the monthly deal to £60 a month for TV Packs, (no sports or movies) Phone and broadband.

Then I went back to Virgin for £30.99 a month for M+ Pack, Phone and broadband. This goes up to £40.99 a month in August.

Meantime, I have invested £66 in a Manhatten Freesat Box, receive over 300 TV and Radio Channels and do not pay a penny extra.

It pays to shop around, research online and you can save money that way.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I'm paying a few pence more now than when I subscribed to VM nearly 2 years ago. That's because my 30mb BB got doubled to 60mb for no extra charge and I have since downgraded back to 30mb (which doesn't seem to be any different).

I don't like how companies like VM and Sky just let their prices rise and rise for existing customers, while new customers on the equivalent packages get much better deals.

It pays to keep track of the latest 'new customers prices, and if you're paying substantially more, get on to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    My dads last month bill with virgin was £82 and no broadband tv(L) sports and films ,, thinking of changing
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I top all of you then it seems :D

£130. that's VIP + any calls in a month.
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I top all of you then it seems :D

£130. that's VIP + any calls in a month.

If that's what you're prepared to pay I think you're more bottom than top.
  • Dave1979Dave1979 Posts: 1,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we pay £60 a month for:

Talk 200 - 200 landline minutes to any mobile or landline in the world
    TV XL (Tivo)
    BB 30MB

Pretty sure when we first got this (2006) it was around £38 (probably due to a good retention deal at the time)
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are getting ripped off

We have XL phone and 60mb internet plus a few other features (call waiting, calls to 0800 numbers) yet out bill is £50
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sammyvine wrote: »
    I think we are getting ripped off

We have XL phone and 60mb internet plus a few other features (call waiting, calls to 0800 numbers) yet out bill is £50

That sounds about right. I think that's the cheapest you'll get it
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when my offer period ends next year, i'll go up to full price for 6 months which will be around £67 pounds for 60mb BB, XL TV and Tivo and Anytime calls.

It's a teeny bit expensive for me, but it'll only be for 6 months anyway as i'll be back to Sky when it ends.
  • warpspeedwarpspeed Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I've got a broadband (L), tv (M), and phone package from Virgin Media. For this my average bill is £55-60 per month, depending on calls made. Am I paying too much?
    I read on the Virgin website that what I am getting for my money is less than their current 'starter' package, which includes the five main HD channels and a tivo box. Even after the initial six month half price offer, It's still works out £10-15 cheaper per month. I don't get HD or a tivo box for my £55-60. I've been a Virgin customer for at least 15 years.
    i had the same high bill on your package im saving 32 pound a month now got a new deal just phone them.
    my new bill is

Payment - Thank you (25 Apr) CR £65.13
    Total payments receivedCR £65.13
    Owed from last bill£0.00
    These changes are for the period: 20 April - 09 MayLast month's changes
    Changes to Bundle
    Note: by combining services into a bundle you automatically enjoy a saving. By changing your bundle, that saving will also be updated.
    Credits (for services removed) Period
    Loyalty Customer 20 Apr - 09 May
    TV Size M+ 20 Apr - 09 May
    Multi Talk 1000 20 Apr - 09 May
    Charges (for services added) Period
    Multi Talk 150 20 Apr - 09 May
    Changes to Bundle totalCR £19.66
    Last month's changes totalCR £19.66
    These charges are for the period: 10 May - 9 JuneYour package
    Starter Collection
    Multi Talk 150 Talk Unlimited TV Size: M TiVo Monthly Fee Broadband L (Up To 30mb) Loyalty Customer
    Starter Collection total£20.01
    Promotional offer(s)
    You'Re Receiving A Loyalty Discount It's For £5. If You Change Your Package You May Lose This Discount Which Will End 19-APR-15
    Promotional offer(s)CR £5.00
    Phone line rental
    Line Rental
    Phone line rental total£14.99
    Your package total£30.00
    Usage charges
    all we did is ditch the m+ to m and disable 1 hd box and keep tivo
  • ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes. Ask for the starter collection for £18/month and you get a tivo box. And pay for your line rental in advance, £120/annum rather than just under £15/month ($180/month).
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are £65.13 for premiere collection, but we've just moved house and they've put it down to £50.
  • TV3TV3 Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I've had a bit of a mixed bag after 3 lengthy calls to Virgin Media based around looking for a better deal. I was polite and indicated that either price needed to come down for my relatively low level (10mb BB) package or service need to be upped for the same price.

It was a take it or leave it attitude from them (2 different staff) giving the option of taking a lower package (Essential) or paying more (Premium) with absolutely no flexibilty on price or mixing and matching. Take it or leave it, and they even asked me it I wanted to speak with rentions about a 30 day end of service notice?

So I am faced with probably needing to pay more when I wanted to bring the cost down, the best they can do is:

£62.99 per month
    60mb Broadband / Super Hub
    M Telephone
    XL TV Pack
    TIVO BOX
    +£49.99 Install Fee.

I am not going to get them down on price so I may as well have more out of what I currently pay
  • ArrGeeArrGee Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TV3 wrote: »
    ...they even asked me it I wanted to speak with rententions about a 30 day end of service notice?

When the CSR refers you to rententions it is simply that they don't have the authority to offer the necessary discounts. Accepts their offer to go through to rententions and they will invariably make a better offfer. It may not be exactly what you want but it will be better.

When I had Sky Analog, I don't think I ever paid full price for Sports. I'd call up every time my latest offer was expiring and they'd make me another offer. They even gave it to me for free during the summer months on a couple of occassions.

Rententions are your friend!
  • sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it just me or does my family talk too much?

we have XL phone lol. Nearly everyone i read has M phone lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had the VIP pack with 2 Tivo boxes, couldnt justifiy the $110 a month for it, reduced it down to $65 for 60MB broadband XXL TV and talk weekend with 1 TIVO, waited 3 weeks for the pack to return the second TV box.....nothing came.
    Called them up yesterday and they said I can keep the second box if I took another new contract, price now $58.
    (sorry no pound signs, using windows 8.1 RT:o)
  • cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    We have 2 Tivo boxes . XL tv , 30Mb BB and the free weekend phone package.
    We pay under £48 , but only because I rang them to cancel .
    Basically , they give me £10 extra discount each month for the next year. It was either that or cancellation .
    I must point out that I did have to cancel and managed to get this deal on their 3rd or 4th attempt to keep me duing the 30 day notice period .
    From the day I cancelled they rang EVERY SINGLE DAY .
  • Glennster2003Glennster2003 Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Do all these deals require a new 12 or 18 month contract?
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Do all these deals require a new 12 or 18 month contract?

Deals require a new 12 month contract as you are an existing customer
  • Chris JamesChris James Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me:

Talk Unlimited (24/7 free calls to landlines)
    Caller Display
    TV Size XL
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    Broadband Size XL (60 mg)
    Line Rental

£61.74 (tried to put it up yesterday, negotiated down to this price)
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Me:

Talk Unlimited (24/7 free calls to landlines)
    Caller Display
    TV Size XL
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    Broadband Size XL (60 mg)
    Line Rental

£61.74 (tried to put it up yesterday, negotiated down to this price)

Me:

Talk Unlimited Extra (24/7 free calls to landlines and mobiles)
    Caller Display
    All Calling Features
    Anonymous Caller Rejection
    TV Size XL
    Baby TV
    Asian Mela Pack
    Picturebox
    TiVo Monthly Fee
    Broadband 100MB
    Virgin Security+
    Line Rental
    £82.60 (I managed to get it down to this price)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I think I've posted this in the wrong forum so will copy it over here:

My sister phoned VM today and said she was paying way over the odds for her TV, broadband and phone package and asked if they would reduce it. She was originally paying just over £89 for 30mb broadband, XL TV with Sky Sports 1+2 and the free weekend calls on her phone (M package I think + the £14.99 line rental). Virgin immediately reduced this to £75, chucked in a TiVo box and said that was the best they could offer.

I did a bit of research and the almost equivalent deal with Sky came to approx £64 after the initial 12 months of it being £57 (the only difference was the 'Up to 16mb' Unlimited Broadband which was was free for the first 12mths then £7.50 after).

Is it worth her pushing for more of a reduction, say £70 or under, or will Virgin dig their heels in and say bugger off?