Options

The Intimacy of dancing.

QueeniejeanQueeniejean Posts: 299
Forum Member
After watching the intensity of Kevin and Susannas Paso Doble i was struck by the thought that the connection between couples in some dances is often more of a shared moment than sex, to the exclusion of anyone else for the short time it lasts.
While Tess was talking to K&S i noticed that Karen was watching Sussanah intently and lost no time in getting Kevins attention and assurance with a kiss.
It must be very hard to see your boyfriend/girlfriend sharing such intimacy with another person. They are only human after all and the partnership between pupil and teacher can be very close.
It wouldn't bother me in the fun dances but now and again after the passion generated by a dance like Their Paso i would probably react like Karen.
Mind you she's the one going home with Kevin and i daresay watching your partner as a matador dancing with another woman could be a turn on in most cases,especially if he wore his outfit home.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've often heard dancing described as a 'two minute love affair' but I think much if it depends on the character of the dance.

And yes, the celebs must get quite close to their pro dancers, if only due to the hours and hours they spend together. Must feel very odd when Strictly is over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/strictly-come-dancing/10339361/Strictly-Come-Dancing-hottest-romances.html

Sometimes it goes beyond two minutes. It's entirely understandable that spouses or partners get nervous about it. I'm sure I would (either as spouse or from the other perspective as the one dancing).
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vertical expression of the horizontal desire :D.

A female friend once said one of her key criteria for choosing a lover was to see how well they danced/moved. It was usually (if not always) an indicator of how good they might be in the boudoir :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    S and K's Paso whilst very intense wasn't particularly sexy IMO and I would not have wanted him to wear that in the bedroom!

I would be more concerned with the Rhumbas.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    S and K's Paso whilst very intense wasn't particularly sexy IMO and I would not have wanted him to wear that in the bedroom!

s.

Not with his black socks anyway !! He looked like he tucked his trousers into his socks .:D
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    For many social dancers the connection that can occur between two people and a piece of music is like a drug. Find it once and it will keep you going back to the floor searching for that perfect high again. The feeling when you are totally in synch with your partner and both interpreting the music in a way that is harmonious and satisfying is exquisite.

However it isn't necessarily sexual. It can be :) and that is lovely too :o. But often it is simply to do with a profound feeling of understanding and being understood - being in perfect rapport if you like.

Connection is a really good word to describe this and it is perhaps the most important element of partner dancing. Most social dancing is not choreographed in advance but made up on the spot so the connection allows the communication and makes the dance happen.

Because it feels so wonderful when the rapport is there and you move smoothly with a partner (no tugging or toppling etc) it is perhaps the most desirable element of partner dancing. It is for me anyway.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    jeff_vader wrote: »

A female friend once said one of her key criteria for choosing a lover was to see how well they danced/moved. It was usually (if not always) an indicator of how good they might be in the boudoir :)

Certainly lithe flexible multidirectional hip movements can be channelled into other activities.:D
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching your partner as a matador dancing with another woman could be a turn on in most cases,especially if he wore his outfit home.

Laughter is also supposed to be an aphrodisiac.
  • Options
    Mrs-MopMrs-Mop Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah that explains a lot....Mr Mop dances like Hairy Dave :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't swop him though :)
    (unless Pasha or Brendan ....?!?!?!!:o:o)
  • Options
    goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/strictly-come-dancing/10339361/Strictly-Come-Dancing-hottest-romances.html

Sometimes it goes beyond two minutes. It's entirely understandable that spouses or partners get nervous about it. I'm sure I would (either as spouse or from the other perspective as the one dancing).

A relative of mine who never watches Strictly just glanced at the TV while I was watching and said their spouses or girlfriends/boyfriends probably do a lot of worrying: there must be jealousy - some of the movements are very intimate and with attractive (for the most part) and often scantily clad partners.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess the "is x pregnant?" threads got boring now....perhaps we should have "Are X and Y at it?" instead :D
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Well I guess the "is x pregnant?" threads got boring now....perhaps we should have "Are X and Y at it?" instead :D

:D:D:D
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gosh in that case Anton surely would not be construed by many as a boudoir invader...
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's why the girlies fell at my feet?

Quite the disco demon I was in my day :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Laughter is also supposed to be an aphrodisiac.

Usually people who don't 'get it' very often resort to laughter as an aphrodisiac. Or chocolate. Or cats. BAM
  • Options
    PoppysinbloomPoppysinbloom Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Re the Telegraph article: Did Natalie Lowe and Ricky Whittle have an affair? Anyone know?
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually people who don't 'get it' very often resort to laughter as an aphrodisiac. Or chocolate. Or cats. BAM

:confused: Wha'? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re the Telegraph article: Did Natalie Lowe and Ricky Whittle have an affair? Anyone know?

Were they seeing someone else when they were dancing together? If not, why should it matter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Were they seeing someone else when they were dancing together? If not, why should it matter?

He was certainly and if irc his ex girlfriend blamed Natalie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    He was certainly and if irc his ex girlfriend blamed Natalie.

Gah, not good. :(
  • Options
    FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member

He split with his gf when on Strictly, which fueled romance rumors with his dance partner. So yes, some overlapping did happen
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For many social dancers the connection that can occur between two people and a piece of music is like a drug. Find it once and it will keep you going back to the floor searching for that perfect high again. The feeling when you are totally in synch with your partner and both interpreting the music in a way that is harmonious and satisfying is exquisite.

However it isn't necessarily sexual. It can be :) and that is lovely too :o. But often it is simply to do with a profound feeling of understanding and being understood - being in perfect rapport if you like.

Connection is a really good word to describe this and it is perhaps the most important element of partner dancing. Most social dancing is not choreographed in advance but made up on the spot so the connection allows the communication and makes the dance happen.

Because it feels so wonderful when the rapport is there and you move smoothly with a partner (no tugging or toppling etc) it is perhaps the most desirable element of partner dancing. It is for me anyway.

I see the connection a bit like dressage - though I've never been inclined to become passionate with a horse. :eek: though many riders do exalt the connection.

But yes the quite gentle but just firm enough upper body embrace is just a superb experience.

I came across a few interesting pieces on Tango Anthropology

Sensuous and Gendered Embraces: An Investigation into Tango Dance Practices

http://www.i-m-pulse.eclipse.co.uk/MA%20Thesis%20(2).htm

Tango Therapist: Tango as a path of psychological, spiritual and musical awareness.

http://tango-therapist.blogspot.co.uk/

This book looks worth a read

Paper Tangos by Julie Taylor [Julie Taylor is Associate Professor of Anthropology at Rice University]

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0822321912/ref=kinw_rke_rti_1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He split with his gf when on Strictly, which fueled romance rumors with his dance partner. So yes, some overlapping did happen

Naughty boy! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the connection a bit like dressage - though I've never been inclined to become passionate with a horse. :eek: though many riders do exalt the connection.

Moral of the story, treat your woman like a mare, not a horse... and... get her tangoed.
  • Options
    latinlouloulatinloulou Posts: 3,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't there rumours about James Martin & Camilla Dallerup too?