The Big Reunion: Series 2

Comments

• Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    I think they may have wiped out most of the bands they can use if I'm honest so maybe next year The Big 80s/90s Reunion of solo artists and bands of those years. I know it's not really a reunion as such, but I'm sure they would have worked the same shows.
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mis-Teeq
    Cleopatra
    All Saints (stop acting like you're too good for this)
    East 17
    S Club (any volume. I'd even take the 6 non Saturdays from Juniors)
    O-Town / One True Voice / Solid HarmoniE just for more Mariama (They can be the Girl Thing / Honeyz)

If we're going with some kind of "super group" again...
    Michelle Gayle, Jamelia, Samantha Mumba, Christina Milian
    or Shane Ward, Leon Jackson, David Sneddon, Lemar

All fo those bands have some interesting stories.

Then ITV be sensible and throw a POP festival! You can get some bigger acts in to headline and fill it out but it would eeeeeasily sell out.

A weekend that hosts main stage with like BSB, All Saints etc and X Factor Stage, a retro stage with like late 80s-mid 90s acts.
  • sominsomin Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunny fear wrote: »
    I do wish there was a DVD release as there was last year though.

Yes it's a pity there seems to be no DVD this year. They could at least stick the full concert on iTunes. So many songs were not shown at all, and the ones that were shown were chopped up and interrupted by backstage interviews and shots of Vanessa Feltz dancing in the aisles! What was the point of them even rehearsing the extra songs if they were only going to be seen by a few thousand people on the night?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for the next series I'd rather go a bit further back

Bros
    Five Star
    Culture Club
    Aha
    Spandau Ballet
    T'Pau

Stories of angst, splits and arguments in all those bands
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for the next series I'd rather go a bit further back

Bros
    Five Star
    Culture Club
    Aha
    Spandau Ballet
    T'Pau

Stories of angst, splits and arguments in all those bands

Some people may say how can you reunite bands that contain siblings (like in the bands that I've put in bold) as they probably get together quite frequently anyway but Bros, Five Star & Spandau, as you say, have got fascinating stories to tell between them e.g. bankruptcy/financial problems, band mates being sued, people leaving bands at their peak (Craig from Bros).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Five Star and Bros have had sibling fall outs too!
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vkmax wrote: »
    Mis-Teeq
    Cleopatra
    All Saints (stop acting like you're too good for this)
    East 17
    S Club (any volume. I'd even take the 6 non Saturdays from Juniors)
    O-Town / One True Voice / Solid HarmoniE just for more Mariama (They can be the Girl Thing / Honeyz)

I think Mis-Teeq were approached previously, but apparently Alesha declined as she has a young baby and she's happy with her career as it is.

All Saints have already reunited, they're supporting the Backstreet Boys on their British tour.

Some of S Club have also already reunited as S Club 3 (I think it's Jo, Bradley and Paul) and have been performing around the country for a couple of years - they're in Butlins as 'S Club Party' later this year.
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Then ITV be sensible and throw a POP festival! You can get some bigger acts in to headline and fill it out but it would eeeeeasily sell out.

A weekend that hosts main stage with like BSB, All Saints etc and X Factor Stage, a retro stage with like late 80s-mid 90s acts.

Now that is a bloody good idea!!! I reckon that would be an easy sell-out with a decent lineup. V Festival seems to be catering for an increasingly pop/retro audience but pure pop fans are unlikely to shell out £200 to see people like 5ive and All Saints play short sets with The Killers or Kings Of Leon headlining. There's definitely a gap in the market there!

If there is a Big Reunion series 3 and they do a supergroup again, it really should be girls. Samantha Mumba is a good call; maybe you could have the likes of Sabrina Washington, Sarah Whatmore and Rachel Stevens in it? Jodi Albert would probably want in as well! ;-) Alternatively, just have some solo artists on as they have stories to tell even without the 'reunion' angle.

Oh and I like your Solid HarmoniE idea - anything that involves more Mariama can only be good!! :D
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    They're already back performing together so unless they were going to do another late arrival like Blue they wouldn't work with the format of the show.

A1 fall into the same category though. Note their occasional references to not performing in the UK together for a long time - because they're still popular elsewhere!
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I know I'm a bit behind here but I thought it was sadistic that Tito had his belt out whilst 3T were rehearsing, considering his Dad used to beat them with a belt if they didn't perform well.

I hope he never did such a thing with them.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked all the behind the scenes stuff far more than the concert, but it's not really my kind of music. I'm amazed everyone knew the words to all the songs - audience full of friends and family is my guess.

The highlight for me was Kav's hissy fit after the sound rehearsal.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I know I'm a bit behind here but I thought it was sadistic that Tito had his belt out whilst 3T were rehearsing, considering his Dad used to beat them with a belt if they didn't perform well.

I thought that too. Jeez. They were lovely guys though, but I can't help thinking that the whole Jackson clan are overdisciplined.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .Lauren. wrote: »

I thought that was the implied threat.
    I'm amazed everyone knew the words to all the songs - audience full of friends and family is my guess.

I'd imagine they had their family and friends there but I would've thought people knowing all the words would indicate they were fans. I was big fan of the Big Reunion type of bands when I was younger and I can still remember all the words to the songs we saw, aside from one each by Girl Thing, Eternal and 3T.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there going to be a DVD like last year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding All Saints being back together already...

Honeyz reformed from 2005-2009 (first with the original line-up then with Mariama and Celenas sister)

A1 have been back together since 2009

Blue have been back together since 2010

5ive got back togehter in 2006 for a few months

Atomic Kitten got back together in 2007 and 2008

Eternal got back together in 2006 very briefly

Damage got back together for a bit in 2010

Let's be real the shows about hearing how many people they slept with and who slapped who. I'd buy in to a show of existant bands revealing it all.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people may say how can you reunite bands that contain siblings (like in the bands that I've put in bold) as they probably get together quite frequently anyway

Like 3T?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    So only Blue and A1 are together now. I'm amazed to read Damage were together in 2010, given the hideous meeting that resulted in them becoming a 4. How come they didn't figure that out in 2010 - did they need cameras to realise it wasn't going to work?!

And Eternal - woah so all that stuff about Kelle not seeing them since she was fired was made up?

5ive are still doing loads of gigs, supporting McBusted, a few summer gigs too. Only Easther and Kelle did the 2006 reunion, but I'm sure parts of the story were embellished for TV, Heavenli from Honeyz said the same thing happened last year too.
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    You've got to take everything on The Big Reunion with a massive pinch of salt. The show seems to imply that the acts have done nothing since their bands disbanded, however, the producers seem to have forgotten about a little thing called Google and that fans can look up their favourite acts and find out what they've been up to in the last couple of years. I remember feeling really sorry for Mark from a1, but it turns out that he's not the has-been he's painted as, but a successful singer/song-writer. It's the same for Kelle from Eternal (who hasn't been out of the spotlight as implied but done some acting as well). Also, the fact that many acts from Series 1 and 2 have been together long before the show started is very cleverly forgotten about.

It's a shame that The Big Reunion is not a celebration of 90s pop, but rather a show that's focused on creating drama, even when there is none.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've got to take everything on The Big Reunion with a massive pinch of salt. The show seems to imply that the acts have done nothing since their bands disbanded, however, the producers seem to have forgotten about a little thing called Google and that fans can look up their favourite acts and find out what they've been up to in the last couple of years. I remember feeling really sorry for Mark from a1, but it turns out that he's not the has-been he's painted as, but a successful singer/song-writer. It's the same for Kelle from Eternal (who hasn't been out of the spotlight as implied but done some acting as well). Also, the fact that many acts from Series 1 and 2 have been together long before the show started is very cleverly forgotten about.

It's a shame that The Big Reunion is not a celebration of 90s pop, but rather a show that's focused on creating drama, even when there is none.

I enjoyed the series but I agree that the show was spoiled by the need of the producers to present all the singers as desperate for a break/new career.

In the age of TOWIE I suspect some of the scenes are heavily set up or scripted eg The Adam Rickett/Kavana "row" scene for example
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts on the last show.

The voiceover was worse than ever, pretty much every line had a dreadful gag in it, wish they'd give it a rest as it's clearly not working.

The vocal backing tracks for some of the acts seemed very prominent, don't remember this last year.

I guess by this stage it's pointless complaining about the performances being interrupted by backstage reactions, but I'd really love them to ease up on the shots of hysterical old queens in the audience.
  • burnoutbabeburnoutbabe Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I actually caught S Club party at Butlins in Jan - they were pretty good - Jo really had the best voice and main vocals so missing the other 4 didn't matter much.

Bewitched were also there which was nice. And whigfield.

So butlins tours are good options for a cheaper way of touring still.

(Seeing All saints myself on Friday!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    VoiceOver tickled me when discribing Michael Jackson as king of pop,soul,grunge and death metal lol. 3t only made this watchable this time around for me. Their performances were very moving.
  • spikeyrobertospikeyroberto Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternal got back together in 2006 very briefly
    That was only Easther and Kelle. Possibly Verne was having a baby but can't remember. It was a similar tour to big reunion as it was all old acts like East 17 etc and it flopped so it never actually happened. Kelle however did post a picture on her website with easther and said how she felt great to finally patch things up with her. technically speaking you can say this wasn't a proper reunion. I would imagine Verne and Kelle have spoken and seen each other before this reunion show though. It is just like the steps reunion really where it was all made out like it was the first time when we know it wasn't..but then they backtracked and made out they hadnt discussed the things brought up in the show before. I still dont quite get their stories saying they went to record in america and kelle didn't want to and then kelle said she didnt know. This really doesn't add up. However bad the communication may be i think this WOULD be spoken about when you next met up! Are we to presume management wanted them to split for some reason (if that story is as true as made out)?

One final thing - I don't think Easther's great vocals were even mentioned once on this show and she really did (I presume still does) have an amazing voice that is very underrated! So many things were forgotten or not mentioned which I feel should have been. We just got stupid fake fights for the ratings from girl thing and Kav
  • ArtemsGirlArtemsGirl Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I just watched the last episode and I can't believe they didn't show 3Ts Anything. I love that song 😞
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easther has one of the most underrated voices in music for sure. She is up there with the best of them.

Eternal and Damage are the only ones I could see being able to make a chart comeback simply because thier music wasn't as poppy/disposable as the others.