Options

Celebrity MasterChef 2014

Comments

• Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been a good twist on the mystery box idea, though.

I was not impressed, it seemed much easier to produce really well presented versions of the puddings that most (if not all) the savoury dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    There's always a bizarre decision in every series. Millie looked like the best by a distance, don't understand that one what so ever.

She is very talented and seemed to have potential, so much so that I did wonder whether she had had some tuition in cooking at some point.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Loved that last shot of wee Wayne hugging high-up Jodie :D

Delighted for both Sophie and Charley, the two strongest from the earlier rounds and terrific, supportive team members who put in a lot of hard work and kept a kind eye on the others too. Both stood out in the Tudor challenge. These two (plus I'm sneaking in Wayne because he's little and no one will notice) and either Amanda or Jodie for the last four. I can't see Biggins getting through and to be completely honest I don't want him to. I feel Millie should have stayed tonight ahead of him and his second lacklustre veggie dish. Oh, yes, and a second (admittedly more than respectable) risotto made with wine. He's not the most adventurous.

If I had to guess from here it would be Sophie for the title but I'd be equally pleased and charmed by Charley getting it.

I think we are stuck with Biggins - he's doing better than Wayne or Amanda and producing a better story. He's also a bigger TV character. On the edit, comments on their better efforts and show story, it may be Sophie v Jodie at the end - and that would depend how far Jodie has progressed with her range, and whether Sophie can produce something as well presented, and bit more sophisticated than what she has done so far. Charley has dull coverage and slightly less positive comments so far. Of course, anyone may implode on any knockout round, or go inexplicably like Millie, and record, potential and skill may get taken out by a dull, solid, low risk, performance
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Hmm, now you point that out it does seem a little odd. Could something have happened behind the scenes, a bit of temper or attitude??? I don't know Millie from anything else so this is just a guess and an attempt to make sense of a strange and unexplained decision -- I have nothing against her. She did bridle (like you would) at Rosemary wotsit's 'insipid'. And I have to say I didn't altogether like the way she contrasted Sophie's wondrous array of Tudor desserts and Wayne's poor, broken, slopped-out and lumpy mess :D:D but that's no reason to get rid of the girl who had been asked in an earlier round 'Are you a professional chef?'

The lack of an explanation is provoking...

Could it have been as simple as them wanting to keep equal numbers of men and women? Jodie's pud was gorgeous. Sophie is a great cook. So it would have been between Amanda and Millie. Dunno though!

But Amanda v Millie should be a win for Millie , and you could always find some reason to justify it. Insipid is an insipid comment, and countered by Greg saying he liked it.The guest judge was contradicted on quite a few of the others too and didn't actually contribute much at all - so I doubt if you would weight her judgement highly. John had some comment about Millie's bread that seemed trivial, and which no one else mentioned. Millie doesn't have much story running whereas Sophie and Jodie have journeys going and Biggins and Wayne have how do they do it theme . But Amanda has no big story either.

Its either bad task setting in that they were being tested on something that was randomly different - not something with equal difficulty , or a menu they had selected. Or , as you said, there's something odd going on.

When people don't let you see their arguments and then come up with a bizarre result, it usually does suggest something odd happened.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that Millie went ( with no explanation as to why) I thought JB and Amanda would go.
    Surely Charley must win now..........if it is to be judged on cooking and not "camp, zany, "characters" "
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Absolutely shocking.

I can't say I'm a fan of Millie but that was absolutely the wrong decision. She makes one mistake on a dish she's never even heard of and that's it. She's out? Something not right there.

Millie's soda bread didn't work. Her skink didn't quite work, either. As a dish in its entirety, it was a failure.

Amanda's **** didn't hold, but according to Rosemary, it tasted great. She thought it was the best thing about the dish. The mash and cabbage worked. The sauce/stew worked as well.

On that basis, the decision makes sense. It did surprise me, but when I took judges' comments into account, it wasn't a surprise any more.

Edited: It needs to be pointed out that both made mistakes on previous dishes. So it wasn't Millie's first mistake.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a case for a "Millie was Robbed" t-shirt:D
  • Options
    Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was totally shocked by the decision - I was full sure Millie would make the final three. I thought Amanda should have gone along with JB last night.

Charlie or Sophie to win for me now.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were backing Spohie and Millie in the Starpuss household so were sad last night :(

But, as anyone who has watched Masterchef for any length of time will tell you, shock exits are part of the format. They are judged on the meal they produce on the day. Amanda's looked like the dog's dinner but tasted nice. Millie's was 'insipid' (a fairly damning description of food :( ).

But Millie can leave with her head held high. She was a great contestant. And my teenage daughter is now wearing her hair in 'Millie plaits' so all is good.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that (along with JB) Biggins would leave last night for

a) pallid vegetarian dishes. As a veggie, that annoys me
    b) sabotaging Wayne's pear effort, the bastard :o
    c) complacency and an unearned air of superiority

(acknowledge that b and c have nothing to do with cooking)
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is the final of this series listed as being episode 13 out of 18

What are the 5 programmes that follow this series?
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is the final of this series listed as being episode 13 out of 18

What are the 5 programmes that follow this series?

Maybe it's because they stitched together shows that would ordinarily have been presented as separate half hours if it hadn't been for the footie??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that (along with JB) Biggins would leave last night for

a) pallid vegetarian dishes. As a veggie, that annoys me
    b) sabotaging Wayne's pear effort, the bastard :o
    c) complacency and an unearned air of superiority

(acknowledge that b and c have nothing to do with cooking)

I'm with you!

And I think his complacency about veggie food relates to a.

Egg pie? Egg pie? Seriously... Out with Biggins.

When JB was announced as leaving, Shrek didn't look to happy - I think there was some massive goings on around Millie's departure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are all so right-on with your comments. Amanda is weird and sly, Biggins is an arrogant twerp exuding false bonhomie, Wayne is surprising (in a good way) and agreeable, Charlie and Sophie are stalwarts and Millie quite delightful.

That Biggins, when told his parsley sauce tasted odd, just swept the comment aside and said 'well I liked it'. He didnt realise she was trying to help him by telling him not to put the parsley in until the end. If he goes tonight I willl start to believe again. Maybe.:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Millie's soda bread didn't work. Her skink didn't quite work, either. As a dish in its entirety, it was a failure. ..... .

Was the soda bread part of the recipe or did she decide to make to accompany the dish.

There is something wrong when someone is penalised because of a dish that they have never seen before. I can understand it if it was a staple that everyone should be familiar with but it is a local dish that I am sure most people outside Scotland (and many in Scotland) will never have seen.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because they stitched together shows that would ordinarily have been presented as separate half hours if it hadn't been for the footie??

I think it was due to the World Cup. They usually have a 30 minute episode on Fridays but they have turned it into a 90 minute episode instead by adding the 30 minutes to the usual 60 minute show cause they couldn't transmit it as planned with the footie dominating the schedules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are all so right-on with your comments. Amanda is weird and sly, Biggins is an arrogant twerp exuding false bonhomie, Wayne is surprising (in a good way) and agreeable, Charlie and Sophie are stalwarts and Millie quite delightful.

That Biggins, when told his parsley sauce tasted odd, just swept the comment aside and said 'well I liked it'. He didnt realise she was trying to help him by telling him not to put the parsley in until the end. If he goes tonight I willl start to believe again. Maybe.:kitty:

Woops! I forgot Jodie. How did that happen? She is too good to be true and I have got a horrible feeling she may win.:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was upset that Millie went. I had preconceived ideas about her because of the Made in Chelsea programme but I thought she was so sweet. And as another poster said, the judges in one programme asked her if she was a professional and they were delighted by her meal. Even Christine Hamilton was lovely to her!
    JB should have gone ages ago I think, everything he did was undercooked. Wayne Sleep actually is the one progressing the most I think and is starting to turn out good dishes. (As an aside my ballet fan sister used to speak to him a lot outside Royal Ballet stage door and he was lovely).
    There's something about Amanda I'm not keen on. She was interviewed once and she came across as rather 'beige' for want of a better description.
    Love Sophie though she always looks like she's going to burst into tears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're my wife now ....

Hello Dave ... is that Dave?:cool:
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Was hoping that the two most annoying candidates would go, but Jodie did well and Biggins was given a very easy dish. Surely Biggins can't survive today as well? Sophie should win.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Was the soda bread part of the recipe or did she decide to make to accompany the dish.

It was part of the recipe.
    There is something wrong when someone is penalised because of a dish that they have never seen before. I can understand it if it was a staple that everyone should be familiar with but it is a local dish that I am sure most people outside Scotland (and many in Scotland) will never have seen.

Almost everyone in the group hadn't seen their dishes before. :D I think Briggins and Charley were the only ones who were familiar with their recipes.

And maybe Millie as well because when she was testing soda bread, she said she didn't know whether it was cooked because it was "meant to be moist in the middle. It's soda bread", which suggests she had seen and eaten soda bread before.

I'm not sure why we're surprised that a competitor would leave due not doing well on a dish they hadn't tried before. It happened often over the last few previous series. Millie is no exception.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    On your marks? Is there going to be a race to see who finishes their dishes first?
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mille went .... hey ho, onto a new day.

Best of luck to all, enjoying it all
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening !!
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    "only the best remain"

"best celebrity masterchef ever"

are they watching the same show we are ?