Options

What are TalkTalk like?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CeeCee87CeeCee87 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Hi, I've just left talk talk after having their tv/talk/broadband package.

Firstly the buttons on the handset for the t.v started to pack up so I called for a replace ment which they refused-not even the option to buy a new one off them. Looked online couldn't find them on there either. Therefore T.V viewing was difficult.

Broadband and phone no problems whatsoever.

Online support and live chat-brilliant in my experience.
    However, by phone, awful. Passed from pillar to post and when I asked to cancel the gentleman said we couldn't because all their computers had crashed.

Some good, Some bad. I'm with Sky now and feel that for the tv/broadband/phone I get a better value for money and customer service.
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    You got it and then put their prices so low that the smaller providers got a ghost in hells chance of competing.
    That of cause happens in other businesses as well

Eh? That of cause??

How dare businesses price their offering low enough to win customers and still make money. The utter gits :D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Eh? That of cause??

How dare businesses price their offering low enough to win customers and still make money. The utter gits :D

It is anti-competitive, it don't give the smaller providers any chance what so ever. Just look at what supermarkets have done to local shops?

Once these companies get rid of any threat, either by buying out the smaller companies or by them closing,, they will put their prices up.
    Look at sky for a start and see how they got rid of competitors.

Before any one says anything, I know I work for a supermarket, which is a large company, but it is a job and not much else around here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is anti-competitive, it don't give the smaller providers any chance what so ever. Just look at what supermarkets have done to local shops?

Once these companies get rid of any threat, either by buying out the smaller companies or by them closing,, they will put their prices up.
    Look at sky for a start and see how they got rid of competitors.

Before any one says anything, I know I work for a supermarket, which is a large company, but it is a job and not much else around here.

So you work for a supermarket yet use that as an example. Morals are in short supply round your way too then,

All is fair in love, war and business. I will gladly pay my £3.50 a month for the excellent service I get from TT, that's 30 minutes pay for you :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you work for a supermarket yet use that as an example. Morals are in short supply round your way too then,

i work for one thing only, to live.
    All is fair in love, war and business. I will gladly pay my £3.50 a month for the excellent service I get from TT, that's 30 minutes pay for you :D

So you are happy to get rid of competition then? If all we had was BT, sky and Talk Talk, how much do you think your broadband will be?

I doubt it would be £3.50 a month.
    Also you don't really know how much I earn a hour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i work for one thing only, to live.

So you are happy to get rid of competition then? If all we had was BT, sky and Talk Talk, how much do you think your broadband will be?

I doubt it would be £3.50 a month.
    Also you don't really know how much I earn a hour.

Supermarkets are of course, renowned for paying their staff top notch wages aren't they.

Anyway, I digress. People are free to choose their ISP as they are free to shop in different supermarkets. There will still be competition to keep prices in check don't worry about that.

Using your supermarket analogy, are people paying more for their weekly shop now than they were 20 years ago? (in real terms)
  • Options
    kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let us try and work out what job noise747 has in the Supermarket.
    Manager, Shelf Stacker or somewhere in between?

Lets see, does he ever show any Management Skills? No.
    Does he show any Leadership Skills? No.
    Does he offer any Constructive Advice? No.
    Does he just Argue with all and sundry and talk crap all day. YES.

Make your own mind up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supermarkets are of course, renowned for paying their staff top notch wages aren't they.

There are no top notch wages around here unless you are a lawyer or something of that status. Some factories have ok wages, but they are not great.

True my wages are not as high as some, but they are better than others. I could go higher but I can not be bothered with the hassle. My needs are pretty simple these days Gone are the days of me having responsibility of other people. i go to work, do what I do and come home again and forget about it until I go back.

Anyway, I digress. People are free to choose their ISP as they are free to shop in different supermarkets. There will still be competition to keep prices in check don't worry about that.

Really? look at Sky with TV and how once again they are putting their prices up because of no competition. BTvision/youview or Talk Talk youview is no competition to sky or very little anyway as you need BT or TT broadband to use those services.

Sky you don't need any broadband at all

While prices for broadband have dropped since the first ADSL service started in this country, but the prices are slowly rising again, mainly line rental. they are keeping prices of broadband down, but putting line rental up.

Using your supermarket analogy, are people paying more for their weekly shop now than they were 20 years ago? (in real terms)

Not sure to be honest, I would say yes,

Talk Talk is getting better, I think that could be more to do with Fibre than any thing else, the few people I know who is still with Talk Talk most of them have gone to FTTC with TT and have notice a huge improvement. But some of these live pretty close to the exchange and yet still had a pretty poor service, which they should not have had.

My friend who been with TT for just a few weeks, seem happy enough with them, some of their filtering gets in the way, but I think that is the way all the larger providers are going,
    The only problem she did have was with the router, but after getting in touch with TT they sorted that out. Being a business woman she is pretty good on the phone. She decided in the end to use her own router anyway.

The times I have been down to her place i have been pretty impressed with the speed of her internet and the fact that she can watch a HD netflix downstairs and her Daughter can watch it upstairs and still able to download something.

So I can see that TT have improved and she still say to me that I should go for it as it is cheaper than what I am paying now and it will be twice as fast.

But speed is not the problem for me, anything I want to download I leave on at night, as long as I can watch netflix i do not need faster speed.
    if I really need to save money I could drop to a lower 5Mb/s speed, I can still watch Netflix with that and that would certainly be less money that TT.
  • Options
    John146John146 Posts: 12,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are no top notch wages around here unless you are a lawyer or something of that status. Some factories have ok wages, but they are not great.

True my wages are not as high as some, but they are better than others. I could go higher but I can not be bothered with the hassle. My needs are pretty simple these days Gone are the days of me having responsibility of other people. i go to work, do what I do and come home again and forget about it until I go back.

Really? look at Sky with TV and how once again they are putting their prices up because of no competition. BTvision/youview or Talk Talk youview is no competition to sky or very little anyway as you need BT or TT broadband to use those services.

Sky you don't need any broadband at all

While prices for broadband have dropped since the first ADSL service started in this country, but the prices are slowly rising again, mainly line rental. they are keeping prices of broadband down, but putting line rental up.

Not sure to be honest, I would say yes,

Talk Talk is getting better, I think that could be more to do with Fibre than any thing else, the few people I know who is still with Talk Talk most of them have gone to FTTC with TT and have notice a huge improvement. But some of these live pretty close to the exchange and yet still had a pretty poor service, which they should not have had.

My friend who been with TT for just a few weeks, seem happy enough with them, some of their filtering gets in the way, but I think that is the way all the larger providers are going,
    The only problem she did have was with the router, but after getting in touch with TT they sorted that out. Being a business woman she is pretty good on the phone. She decided in the end to use her own router anyway.

The times I have been down to her place i have been pretty impressed with the speed of her internet and the fact that she can watch a HD netflix downstairs and her Daughter can watch it upstairs and still able to download something.

So I can see that TT have improved and she still say to me that I should go for it as it is cheaper than what I am paying now and it will be twice as fast.

But speed is not the problem for me, anything I want to download I leave on at night, as long as I can watch netflix i do not need faster speed.
    if I really need to save money I could drop to a lower 5Mb/s speed, I can still watch Netflix with that and that would certainly be less money that TT.

BIB: You seem to have missed out the major competitor to Sky.....Virgin, having tried both Sky and Virgin I will stay with Virgin, not saying they are perfect but good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John146 wrote: »
    BIB: You seem to have missed out the major competitor to Sky.....Virgin, having tried both Sky and Virgin I will stay with Virgin, not saying they are perfect but good.

But Virgin is limited to where their cables are, not really much of a competitor. i must admit if Virgin was here I would have had a look.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been with TT for a long time. I should really change but apathy sets in. Every few years the router goes. When I ring TT I am passed from pillar to post. One customer service guy even wanted me to fiddle with the wires and boxes. Bearing in mind I am not an engineer, he was asking me open the connection box on the wall that belongs to BT. I explained this to him and he said as long as it was in my house I could open it. Well I know that is not right. I knew the problem was the router. Funnily, he lost me because I asked to speak to a manager. I had to ring back three times. Eventually they agreed I needed a new router. These people at the Indian call centre have no knowledge of what they are talking about.
  • Options
    Synthetic42Synthetic42 Posts: 1,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't touch TT with a barge pole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    I have been with TT for a long time. I should really change but apathy sets in. Every few years the router goes. When I ring TT I am passed from pillar to post. One customer service guy even wanted me to fiddle with the wires and boxes. Bearing in mind I am not an engineer, he was asking me open the connection box on the wall that belongs to BT. I explained this to him and he said as long as it was in my house I could open it. Well I know that is not right. I knew the problem was the router. Funnily, he lost me because I asked to speak to a manager. I had to ring back three times. Eventually they agreed I needed a new router. These people at the Indian call centre have no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Depends on what wires they want you to fiddle with, most BT connection boxes have two screws so you can get to the test socket, you can do that without any comeback. If you go further than that BT would not be happy.

Their routers do not seem to last long for some reason, cheap and nasty I think, just like plusnet. BT routers are better now, well Version 3 is anyway.

Out sourced call centres are a waste of time and it is not just Talk Talk Sadly, in fact it is not just ISP's either.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Talk Talk have provided superb service to me, our daughter and friends so speaking from actual experience I've no problems with them.
  • Options
    kriss57kriss57 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Talk Talk have provided superb service to me, our daughter and friends so speaking from actual experience I've no problems with them.

I agree. :)

Be careful of all the Trolls on TalkTalk threads, especially the worst one of all, noise747, aptly named. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »

And my friend is still having good service as well.
  • Options
    dechechodechecho Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on what wires they want you to fiddle with, most BT connection boxes have two screws so you can get to the test socket, you can do that without any comeback. If you go further than that BT would not be happy.

Their routers do not seem to last long for some reason, cheap and nasty I think, just like plusnet. BT routers are better now, well Version 3 is anyway.

Out sourced call centres are a waste of time and it is not just Talk Talk Sadly, in fact it is not just ISP's either.

My router only works if I plug it directly into the test socket. I've had the connection box hanging open for two or three years now!

A couple of weeks ago, Talktalk phoned and asked if I would like to change to fibre optic for an extra £10 per month. I said no, and since then the internet has gone really slow, sometimes some pages fail to load at all despite many attempts. I've never had anything like this before. Is this just co-incidence or could they have done something deliberately to slow me down?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    These people at the Indian call centre have no knowledge of what they are talking about.

Malaysian call centre actually.
    Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't touch TT with a barge pole.

Thanks for that in depth post full of reasoning and debate about your decision.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dechecho wrote: »
    My router only works if I plug it directly into the test socket. I've had the connection box hanging open for two or three years now!

A couple of weeks ago, Talktalk phoned and asked if I would like to change to fibre optic for an extra £10 per month. I said no, and since then the internet has gone really slow, sometimes some pages fail to load at all despite many attempts. I've never had anything like this before. Is this just co-incidence or could they have done something deliberately to slow me down?

Coincidence, i doubt even Talk Talk would not slow your connection down because you did not take FTTC, because that would be silly, they would just send you into the arms of another provider.

From what I have been told, Talk Talk and Sky prefer to keep you on ADSL anyway, they make more money out of it, how true that is I don't know.

ring them up and have a word, or as other people say register with their forum, not that you should have to,