Options

Elderly people refuse to move for a disabled child on a bus

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    All ages an be absolute pricks. Watch a train/bus full of school kids travelling on half fare and see how many give up their seat for adults.

I didn't say other ages aren't. I said that because the person in the article who wouldn't move was a prick. THAT'S why I said it.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The Mirror's top photo is different. The mother has her first finger on the lad's arm whereas she doesn't in the trashy Daily Mail's photo.

Press agencies such as

http://www.epa.eu/politics
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the brake was under the seat of one of the passengers who wouldn`t move.

I really wish there was a diagram of the whole thing so I could picture it. :p I just can't see how there was room for the buggy AND the mother to sit on the floor, but not room for her to position it with the brake near her, or reach under the seat and apply the brake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Press agencies such as

http://www.epa.eu/politics

Link to the photos that are in the trashy Daily Mail and The Mirror.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mirror's top photo is different. The mother has her first finger on the lad's arm whereas she doesn't in the trashy Daily Mail's photo.

If the daily mail is trashy - what does that make the mirror?
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I really wish there was a diagram of the whole thing so I could picture it. :p I just can't see how there was room for the buggy AND the mother to sit on the floor, but not room for her to position it with the brake near her, or reach under the seat and apply the brake.

me too but i`m guessing that the brake is on the back of the buggy and she faced the child towards her, it sounds like this was in the space where the side-facing seats that fold down are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Link to the photos that are in the trashy Daily Mail and The Mirror.

If you look at the photos' there is a mark in the bottom left corner saying BPM Media Wales so they provided the photos
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was actually a rhetorical question.
    tim59 wrote: »
    Court case Main in wheelchair and pushchair Although all new buses must be wheelchair accessible, many disabled passengers have problems accessing the priority space

Disabled man wins bus company case
    Crackdown over buggies on buses

Bus companies may have made it easier for disabled people to get on to their vehicles - but are wheelchair users failing to get on board because parents with pushchairs are commandeering their spaces?

Although by law buses must have a space for wheelchair users, being able to access it is one of the main problems disabled passengers say they face.
    Landmark court case

In February 2012, Mr Paulley, from Wetherby, West Yorkshire, was prevented from travelling on a First bus to Leeds because the driver refused to insist that a mother with a pushchair should leave the space because it would wake up her baby.
    "Some bus companies have decided not to take ownership of the problem and have left it to passengers to resolve between themselves," he added.

The guy above won a case because the bus driver refused to insist that the passenger, with the buggy, moved. So just how is a bus driver meant to "insist" that passengers move?

The quarrel is not about having space for a wheelchair, it is about what powers, or rights, have bus drivers got to turf people out of the spaces ... I would hazard a guess at none.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    If you look at the photos' there is a mark in the bottom left corner saying BPM Media Wales so they provided the photos

They're different from what the other poster linked to. Anyway, fair enough.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »

The guy above won a case because the bus driver refused to insist that the passenger, with the buggy, moved. So just how is a bus driver meant to "insist" that passengers move?

The quarrel is not about having space for a wheelchair, it is about what powers, or rights, have bus drivers got to turf people out of the spaces ... I would hazard a guess at none.

Well i guess he could phone the police like they do for drunks or people doing anti social behaviour, and not doing what the driver has said. He is in charge of the bus so phone the company or the police up let them sort the problem out
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's the passenger that's the main focus of criticism, fair enough. Some elderly people can be absolute pricks.

Also some elderly people have difficulty in moving and standing, why is one disability more important than another? I understand about disability as my wife was in a wheelchair for many years and when out and about I was always thinking ahead trying to plan a route to avoid obstacles and steps etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She sat in the aisle, not because she wanted a seat but because she needed to steady the chair from the bottom as she couldn't get the brakes on.

Diagram: draw a square coming off an aisle. Draw to scale the square filled up by at least half with people. To scale, draw a wheelchair that should occupy the whole space in the space with the people. Draw a pathway for the mother to access the brakes on all wheels.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

From reading this thread, I thought that as long as the driver had asked he had done his job, I didn't think the driver could make someone move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    From reading this thread, I thought that as long as the driver had asked he had done his job, I didn't think the driver could make someone move.

As was said above ...
    tim59 wrote: »
    Well i guess he could phone the police like they do for drunks or people doing anti social behaviour, and not doing what the driver has said. He is in charge of the bus so phone the company or the police up let them sort the problem out

Then we'd probably be seeing another Daily Mail article about poor pensioners subjected to heavy handed police tactics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Also some elderly people have difficulty in moving and standing, why is one disability more important than another? I understand about disability as my wife was in a wheelchair for many years and when out and about I was always thinking ahead trying to plan a route to avoid obstacles and steps etc.

I can't understand why the elderly person couldn't have moved to a seat nearby. If they were that bad with walking/moving, they shouldn't be travelling on public transport. Sometimes you have to be prepared to move because of wheelchairs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Mmmmm, its a tricky one and one I wouldn't comment on unless I was there
    Were they really elderly? How much did they deserve the seat over her?
    Why did she need the seat over and above an elderly couple
    In my experience with a pram on public transport on more than one occasion I was refused access onto a bus unless I folded it up and carried the baby on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand why the elderly person couldn't have moved to a seat nearby. If they were that bad with walking/moving, they shouldn't be travelling on public transport. Sometimes you have to be prepared to move because of wheelchairs.

were there any spare seats nearby or was the buss full
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    As someone who actually uses the X4 services in question and many Stagecoach South Wales services in general I known for a fact that the space occupied by the elderly couple is for wheelchair uses and does not work on a goodwill basis. I'm on an X24 bus now and sign clearly states...

"This space is reserved for a wheelchair"

Directly opposite on the other side of the aisle is the "priority" seating for the elderly.

Basically, the couple and driver were both in the wrong. The space is designed specifically for wheelchair uses to ensure their safety whilst travelling and as such the couple should have got up and moved. It's not a question of goodwill, the space is reserved for disabled, wheelchair bound passengers so they shouldn't have been sat there in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you suggest they travel then?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Considering an able bodied child in a normal buggy is quite capable of sitting on a lap while the folded buggy is stowed then no-one would need to get off the bus. Unless the parent of the able bodied child was a selfish git.

I wasn't talking of sitting on laps but the space(s) available for a folded buggy, if it was already taken what would she do or expect to be done?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As was said above ...

I was agreeing with you :)

I've added bus driver to the list of jobs I wouldn't like to do.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When you get older you will find that your joints and limbs don't move as well as they used to when you were young, even just standing up from a sitting position is difficult for most active pensioners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    When you get older you will find that your joints and limbs don't move as well as they used to when you were young, even just standing up from a sitting position is difficult for most active pensioners.

It doesn't change the fact that they can move. Why not take the extra couple of steps to another seat in the first place?

I have said earlier in the thread, I have a disability, a usually walking one. It bloody hurts to stand, to sit, to walk. But never would I consider that this means I should use the only seat a wheelchair user can when I am perfectly capable of sitting anywhere! I've not used one of those area as since I had kids in a buggy, when I would happily fold it for a wheelchair user, because I can.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you :)

I know, I was being cheeky. I quoted you so I wouldn't have to type it out myself. ;-) :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    It doesn't change the fact that they can move. Why not take the extra couple of steps to another seat in the first place?

I have said earlier in the thread, I have a disability, a usually walking one. It bloody hurts to stand, to sit, to walk. But never would I consider that this means I should use the only seat a wheelchair user can when I am perfectly capable of sitting anywhere! I've not used one of those area as since I had kids in a buggy, when I would happily fold it for a wheelchair user, because I can.

Just because you are it doesn't mean everybody else is.