GBBO: Anyone else think the technical bake is unfair?

pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,528
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Obviously i know the whole point is to challenge the contestants, but does anyone else think the technical bake is unfair?
Take last night, they had to zig zag chocolate onto the florentine. I have never seen a florentine, and if asked to zig zag chocolate on it, i would probaly have zig zagged lines over it with the chocolate, instead of with a fork. A couple of people did this and were "wrong".
Its unfair to be asked to make something you've never seen before, with vague instructions and no idea as to how it should look

Comments

• lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think in the past there have been cases where people have been unfamiliar with the item so have improvised, I am sure the two judges have not penalised them if their attempt was good.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I think they know what that week's test is. So if it's biscuits, I'd expect them to have researched every type of biscuit they can.

Martha had marshmallows for decoration, Enwezor brought fondant icing for his biscuit rocket, so they must know what the subject is.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously i know the whole point is to challenge the contestants, but does anyone else think the technical bake is unfair?
    Take last night, they had to zig zag chocolate onto the florentine. I have never seen a florentine, and if asked to zig zag chocolate on it, i would probaly have zig zagged lines over it with the chocolate, instead of with a fork. A couple of people did this and were "wrong".
    Its unfair to be asked to make something you've never seen before, with vague instructions and no idea as to how it should look
    Yes, but neither was eliminated for it, and they've learned something. It's not really unfair. All they are doing is testing the extent of their baking knowledge with a vague recipe. Technical challenges in Masterchef are often similar. It's how the judges can tell who has a wide knowledge and who has just perfected a few recipes and techniques.

I doubt the judges mark everything everyone does and tot up the scores. It's all about the impression they make, so not knowing what a florentine biscuit should look like is unlikely to make or break their competition.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    Yes, but neither was eliminated for it, and they've learned something. It's not really unfair. All they are doing is testing the extent of their baking knowledge with a vague recipe. Technical challenges in Masterchef are often similar. It's how the judges can tell who has a wide knowledge and who has just perfected a few recipes and techniques.

I doubt the judges mark everything everyone does and tot up the scores. It's all about the impression they make, so not knowing what a florentine biscuit should look like is unlikely to make or break their competition.

I agree.

They're also being tested on their intuition and baking "sense". Take this week - Enwezor cut out his florentines rather than leaving them to spread out. Now there were a fair few who had never baked florentines before, but they drew on their baking instincts to know not to cut them out. Similarly last week with the cherry cake - I imagine Martha probably hasn't made one before but she knew to dry the cherries before putting them in the batter, so they distribute evenly and don't sink. That's the point of giving the bakers a vague recipe, with no timings - they have to work things out for themselves and show they can apply their baking skills to a range of bakes, rather than just memorise certain recipes.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I think they know what that week's test is. So if it's biscuits, I'd expect them to have researched every type of biscuit they can.

Martha had marshmallows for decoration, Enwezor brought fondant icing for his biscuit rocket, so they must know what the subject is.

I think they're told in advance what the Signature Bake and Showstopper will be so they can practice it.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i don't think it is unfair.

End.
  • sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any baker in any of the shows has ever complained that the technical was not fair. Anyway the showstopper seems to carry the most points when the judges weigh up the week's baking.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the fairest test in the show. Everyone gets the same recipe, everyone gets the same ingredients, everyone has the same equipment. The absolute and only thing differentiating the result is the baker's knowledge, skill and instincts.

Leonardo Da Vinci famously claimed the greatest test of an artist was not to paint a wonderful portrait or landscape, but to be able to draw a perfect circle. The technical bake is the GBBO equivalent of that.
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    It's the fairest test in the show. Everyone gets the same recipe, everyone gets the same ingredients, everyone has the same equipment. The absolute and only thing differentiating the result is the baker's knowledge, skill and instincts.

Leonardo Da Vinci famously claimed the greatest test of an artist was not to paint a wonderful portrait or landscape, but to be able to draw a perfect circle. The technical bake is the GBBO equivalent of that.

This. ^^^

Also we get to see what P&M think without the baker standing next to them. I find that quite interesting just to see if a 'fave' gets an unfavourable review and vice versa. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

Didn't Ruby do one in the last series where she had never seen the cake, pudding or whatever so followed her instincts and the basic instructions, she was praised for the doing the best bake?
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's unfair, anyone on this show should know they'll have to do many different types of baking, so should research techniques and styles of all things which might come up.
  • Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Didn't Ruby do one in the last series where she had never seen the cake, pudding or whatever so followed her instincts and the basic instructions, she was praised for the doing the best bake?

Ruby did pretty well in quite a few of the technical challenges, highlighting the skill she had.
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    I think the technical challenge is the fairest round of the three challeneges they do.

Its judged "blind" with the judges having no idea as to who has produced what so any prejudices don't come into play. Norman was the best of the blokes in the technical bake last week, but went because Paul just didn't like him!

Its intersting that Martha won the technical challenge 2 weeks running - and IMHO should have won star baker the first (bread?) week as she had 3 good bakes - but lost out to Richard... what does she have to do to win star baker???
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I think the technical challenge is the fairest round of the three challeneges they do.

Its judged "blind" with the judges having no idea as to who has produced what so any prejudices don't come into play. Norman was the best of the blokes in the technical bake last week, but went because Paul just didn't like him!

Its intersting that Martha won the technical challenge 2 weeks running - and IMHO should have won star baker the first (bread?) week as she had 3 good bakes - but lost out to Richard... what does she have to do to win star baker???
    I suspect that after the first couple of programmes of the series, the judges will have a pretty good idea who did each bake in the technical challenge. They will get used to people's styles.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »

Surely Norman went because his bakes were simply "ordinary", and in some cases were simply messy and lacked little in the way of finesse. The edges of his tart case were horrendous, not clean & tidy at all (and it would not have taken too much thought or effort to make them so, he simply seemed to have a "that'll do" attitude).
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it "unfair?"

It would be unfair if some were given more instructions/equipment than others, but as they aren't its quite obviously the fairest test in the show.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    It is absolutely the fairest part of the competition - they all make identical (hopefully) bakes, given the same equipment, instructions and ingredients.

The other two bakes are more difficult to compare because of the variety produced according to what the contestant feels they are good at.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    I suspect that after the first couple of programmes of the series, the judges will have a pretty good idea who did each bake in the technical challenge. They will get used to people's styles.

That may be true in some cases, particularly in the latter third of the programme when there are fewer bakers and the judges have a good grasp on their styles – but then take last week’s pears. I don’t think either of the judges would have guessed Richard’s pears were the worst in the technical considering his past performance in the show.

I think what is more telling is the contestant’s facial reactions to the comments Mary & Paul make. You can tell the contestants are trying not to give away that it’s their bake being judged, but it must difficult to keep a poker face.