PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An anagram of 'National Rail Timetables' is 'all trains aim to be late in'
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting post in the comments page (from the BBC link) ...
    sinical

Rail fares up 3.5%
    House prices up 10.2%
    Inflation at 2.5% (ignore CPI, complete rubbish. Doesn't include house costs)
    Wages up 0.5%
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's absurd. People who have no choice but to commute are a captive market and get hammered year after year, and many (especially in the public sector) have had pay rises well below inflation.

Rail fares are exorbitant, unless you know well in advance when you are going to travel and can take advantage of special offer fares.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't they split the rail franchises between Private and Public. It could be 50/50%.

The rail companies could still increase the fares too 2% which isn't illegal.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rail fares should have been capped years ago.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the rail operators near me has drastically and quickly cut off-peak fares and in the franchise proposal from 2016, have been told by the Government that the successful winner must cut jobs, services and stations as well as hike fares as part of their licence.

This less than two weeks after the buses had their subsidies cut to the bone in our county.

The slow strangulation of public transport.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's a handy cut and paste for each time this is announced ..
    Rail fares going up by [______] in 20[__]. "This is ridiculous" said [________]. "It goes up every year and we never get value for money"

Repeat until fade ..
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the rail operators near me has drastically and quickly cut off-peak fares and in the franchise proposal from 2016, have been told by the Government that the successful winner must cut jobs, services and stations as well as hike fares as part of their licence.

This less than two weeks after the buses had their subsidies cut to the bone in our county.

The slow strangulation of public transport.

I think you're right.

Here, they're proposing to reduce our bus service to hourly from 2 per hour, make the first and last buses earlier/later (the last bus is at shockingly late 6pm, and the first one isn't till 7.40 am, not early enough for most people who commute to London to get a train that gets in before 9), and increase fares by 30%.

The fare is currently £1.70, so a 30% increase would make it £2.20 for a journey of around 1.25 miles.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't panic, its an election year, they'll not put em up that much. :D
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28842633

This is getting worse rail fare goes up each year and people cant afford it

Yet despite all the increases people still continue to use the train so, ergo, your point about them not being able to afford it is rendered moot.
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Don't panic, its an election year, they'll not put em up that much. :D
    The Government generally perceives that drivers and pensioners with free bus passes will be the ones they need to curry favour with for votes.

That's why we see fuel duty freezes and the majority of bus services in the latest subsidy cuts being preserved for bus pass users after 9:30am to mid-afternoon, but little joy for train passengers and many bus passengers for where reducing or even removing subsidies are an easy target for cuts.
  • Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    My son has had to turn down a job in London as taking the fares into account he would be much better off keeping is local lower paid job, also my daughter looks like having to give up her apprenticeship in London as the fares make it not worthwhile at all.

The Government needs to remember that low paid workers have to use the trains as well.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only long term solution is more intelligent ticketing options (smartcards could do this) and staggering work hours. This could include discounts for shift workers going against the flow in the mornings and night.

Some flexible seasons exist but they're rare.

Ultimately the need to travel in the peaks is what leads to the increases. Despite extra revenue from more passengers, you also increase costs because you need to provide more paths in the peak, upgrade signalling and extending platforms, plus acquire new trains that only get used for a fraction of the day, yet still cost millions.

People who move out of London to enjoy a bigger home (as I did 10 years ago) have to surely know, as I did, that travel would always go up. It was a price I felt worth paying for a better quality of life, and season tickets are generally quite well protected and often considerably cheaper than for those who only need to travel once or twice a week but still at peak times.

As I said above, smartcards could potentially offer discounts to those who travel less frequent but still more than your average user who benefits from cheap advance tickets purchased up to 12 weeks in advance.

Finally, the majority of a ticket price is going to Network Rail. And that's not privatised. So all those who think renationalisation would lower prices, I'd like to know how. Many new franchises are management contracts like TfL operate buses in London.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming on here every year and complaining about rail fare increases makes no difference. They will go up as announced, people who need to use the trains will pay, end of story.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28842633

This is getting worse rail fare goes up each year and people cant afford it
    I can afford it. It's only another £15pcm for me. No big deal.
  • Options
    wordfromthewisewordfromthewise Posts: 2,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commuters should organise themselves regionally to boycott the railways until ticket prices get at the very least capped....

Hugely inconvenient but do-able for workers to organise car sharing or coach trips to their usual station destinations for a short but concentrated period leaving the railway system idle and making no money for their operators.

The difficulty is that season ticket charges are already in the bag so the impact on revenue wouldn't be as instant as it needs to be to make an impact however commuters demonstrating that they have the potential to do without the railways will force whoever is responsible to stop the ripping off of commuters.

Nominate your organiser for your train carriage tomorrow and by the end of the week the carriage organisers should get together to roll out a plan for each train in the country.......or something like that.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Commuters should organise themselves regionally to boycott the railways until ticket prices get at the very least capped....

Hugely inconvenient but do-able for workers to organise car sharing or coach trips to their usual station destinations for a short but concentrated period leaving the railway system idle and making no money for their operators.

The difficulty is that season ticket charges are already in the bag so the impact on revenue wouldn't be as instant as it needs to be to make an impact however commuters demonstrating that they have the potential to do without the railways will force whoever is responsible to stop the ripping off of commuters.

Nominate your organiser for your train carriage tomorrow and by the end of the week the carriage organisers should get together to roll out a plan for each train in the country.......or something like that.

Never going to happen!
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Transport in the UK seems to expensive compared to our European counterparts. I was reminded about this when I recently went travelling in Europe. Being a tourist and wanting to explore the city, I bought a travel card in each, for the central zones (1 to 2) or equivalent.

Here's a rough like-for-like comparison for each, walk up fare on a paper ticket like any tourist would buy...

(Home) London - £9.00 Zones 1-2

Paris - £5.42 (Paris Mobilis zones 1-2)
    Budapest - £4.21 (covers all buses, trams and metro in city centre)
    Berlin - £5.45 (zones a & b)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money has to come from somewhere. While some taxpayer subsidy of public transport is a good thing, especially on uneconomical routes, the costs also have to be shared by the passenger. Where the balance is between the two is the question.

Anyway, make train fares cheaper and the commuter services would be even more crowded.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spent £75 for the pleasure of having to stand from Aberdeen to Glasgow after they crammed lots more people on during the commonwealth games. First Scotrail are a disgrace on that line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you serious? They ran more trains and had buses brought up from all over the country. Ever thought that things might be busier during something like the Commonwealth Games?!

What about football matches? A stadium holding tens of thousands and then trying to squeeze on the trains and tubes. It's going to be busy no matter what.

And that's the problem in the peak. Lower prices and you just create more demand and it will be even more unbearable.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Are you serious? They ran more trains and had buses brought up from all over the country. Ever thought that things might be busier during something like the Commonwealth Games?!

What about football matches? A stadium holding tens of thousands and then trying to squeeze on the trains and tubes. It's going to be busy no matter what.

And that's the problem in the peak. Lower prices and you just create more demand and it will be even more unbearable.

Sorry but unfortunately my work didn't stop just because sport was on. They shouldn't be selling tickets when there's no capacity on the trains. Many people were left at stations unable to get on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bar Eurostar, we don't have reserved trains in the UK. You're free to buy a ticket and travel, and a seat isn't part of the contract. Sad, but true.

Surely people who needed to work made suitable arrangements just as people did during the Olympics (which I suspect was a fair bit busier).

Or don't bid for an event that will make commuters have to stand.