Options

Dealing with retirement

howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
Forum Member
I'm 54, still a while yet, but I keep wondering what I'll do in retirement
What will some of you do who are near to it?

Comments

• Options
    wrexham103.4wrexham103.4 Posts: 3,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im only 28 so i dont think retirement will exist for me in the future, the gov will have us working till we drop
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I unofficially retired at 64 the end of last November and to be honest I find that there is not enough hours in a day now.

My official retirement day is this coming Tuesday so I may need even more hours to get things done.

Oh yeah, just remember to do what the Spanish do....have a kip for a couple of hours in the afternoon and it will help you keep awake during the small hours whilst on DS. :D
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm retired, and have lots to do all the time. About to do another house up, take a holiday, and take grandsons out in the school holidays. I grow my own veg and like gardening. I do up old furniture sometimes. I go on bike rides.

I like walking, I often just take off and go somewhere for a day out by car or by train.
    I plan to have a dog again soon. I love reading, I like using the pc, I visit friends and go to the cinema or theatre if something decent is on..... I could go on. Life is full of so many things to do.

If I had a partner also retired I'd buy a motorhome but I don't. So I like taking breaks in cottages to get a change of scene. Also hoping to go to a greek island in the near future.
  • Options
    silvertiarasilvertiara Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quatro wrote: »
    I'm retired, and have lots to do all the time. About to do another house up, take a holiday, and take grandsons out in the school holidays. I grow my own veg and like gardening. I do up old furniture sometimes. I go on bike rides.

I like walking, I often just take off and go somewhere for a day out by car or by train.
    I plan to have a dog again soon. I love reading, I like using the pc, I visit friends and go to the cinema or theatre if something decent is on..... I could go on. Life is full of so many things to do.

If I had a partner also retired I'd buy a motorhome but I don't. So I like taking breaks in cottages to get a change of scene. Also hoping to go to a greek island in the near future.

It sounds like a very fulfilling life.

I hope that you find a likeminded person to share it with at some point, if that's what you want, because it sounds absolutely lovely and as though you have an awful lot to share.
  • Options
    wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im only 28 so i dont think retirement will exist for me in the future, the gov will have us working till we drop

Same age here .... I doubt I'll get a retirement ....
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quatro wrote: »

Sounds fantastic :)

I've probably got many decades till retirement!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I retired 18 months ago at 56 after 40 years service.
    Not enough days in the week nowadays!
    Spend quite a bit of time on laptop with DS, plus researching and booking 4-5 holidays home and abroad per year and a few hotel and spa breaks. The wife and I like to go for canal walks with pub stops on the way, plus regular trips to the cinema and meals out.
    I am building a model railway in the garden shed, I have 4 grandchildren to entertain and a 5th on the way!
    Lie-ins in the morning, do as you please each day, yes life is great!
    Those of you wondering whether it is worth starting or continuing a pension, then believe you me it really is, when that time comes you are so glad how much you contributed and how it changes your life, and for the better!
  • Options
    MetermaidMetermaid Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    39 working days to go and counting. Im looking forward to retiring and have so much that I want to do. Im 60 and most days feel 50 so I cant wait :)
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I packed in work last year after 42 years with the same company (I'm 61). Don't know now where I found the time to go to work! I have a young grand-daughter who I just love spending time with, plus a very close family - we all go on holiday together. My Dad's also still alive, and I love touring about the country with him to see the sights of my homeland (Scotland, if you haven't guessed!). My other half still works p art time - but just because she likes the social side of working. I couldn't get rid of my work people quick enough - they were all "stab you in the back" merchants who worked for a building society / bank based in West Yorkshire.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I unofficially retired at 64 the end of last November and to be honest I find that there is not enough hours in a day now.

My official retirement day is this coming Tuesday so I may need even more hours to get things done.

Oh yeah, just remember to do what the Spanish do....have a kip for a couple of hours in the afternoon and it will help you keep awake during the small hours whilst on DS. :D

I hear this now from all ex colleagues who have retired. They all say that numerous things soon arrived to completely fill the feared void.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm self-employed and have very few interests. I think I'll probably just keep working until I can't any more because I can't think of what I would do without work. I hate travelling, so the idea of spending half the year doing mini-breaks doesn't appeal to me (probably couldn't afford it in any case), and I don't really have any interests apart from work. Whenever I have a day off, I always find myself thinking, "actually, as I have nothing better to do, I might as well get on with that job that I'm doing".
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll play bingo, join the neighbourhood watch, start birdwatching, go on coach trips, visit the library, join CPRE, wear beige clothes, and drive a Nissan Micra :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Don't worry most of us won't have to deal with retirement. We will work until we drop because state pensions will be impossible to live on.
    Retirement is only good if you can afford to enjoy it and have good health.
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »
    You'll play bingo, join the neighbourhood watch, start birdwatching, go on coach trips, visit the library, join CPRE, wear beige clothes, and drive a Nissan Micra :)

Any time left over is allocated to talking over the garden fence, writing complaining letters to the BBC, and being a miserable bugger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a retirement age in the future, it will just be getting later and later.

On the plus side, people are now living longer, with more people living past 100.

The best way to make sure you can afford to retire is to start saving for retirement either with a pension or ISA.

26 sounds the perfect age to start putting a bit of money away. Both Pensions and ISA's are tax efficient, with a littler bit extra being contributed to a Pension, but of course it's not acesable until you reach (at the moment) 55.

If you can afford it, go speak to a bank and discuss it with them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There will be a retirement age in the future, it will just be getting later and later.

On the plus side, people are now living longer, with more people living past 100.

The best way to make sure you can afford to retire is to start saving for retirement either with a pension or ISA.

26 sounds the perfect age to start putting a bit of money away. Both Pensions and ISA's are tax efficient, with a littler bit extra being contributed to a Pension, but of course it's not acesable until you reach (at the moment) 55.

If you can afford it, go speak to a bank and discuss it with them

The retirement age might be getting later and later, but in reality people aren't working any longer. A man retiring on Monday at the age of 65 probably started work at 15 in 1961 and worked and paid NI for 50 years. Very few people start work at 16 these days, and with over 40% going to university, the average person probably starts work at about 19, so if you were to work the same number of years as today's retirees, you would be working until 69!
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    We took early retirement and moved out to Spain and are having a great time, though the cost of living has shot up since we came here and we got loads of Euros for our pounds!

I'm finding time to do all the things I wanted to do before, gardening (we have 80 peach trees!), baking, photography and especially taking up painting again.

We have also just started to manage a holiday home in our local village for some friends and that's keeping us busy.

I agree with all the advice about pensions - my OH was self employed and, luckily, took out 2 private pensions which have just kicked in (he was 60 last week) and it will make our lives much more comfortable. We were so daft in our 20's and 30's - spending money like water and doing loads of travelling - I'm just glad that we did one sensible thing in our lives ;)
  • Options
    Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real problem is that nobody likes to save for something that they can't enjoy for another 40 years
  • Options
    suki csuki c Posts: 6,088
    Forum Member
    The real problem is that nobody likes to save for something that they can't enjoy for another 40 years

I know - but believe me, those 40 years go faster than you can possibly imagine and then you really appreciate a bit extra ;)
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Quite frankly, how to pass the time when I retired was not a question I ever considered when I was working. I got to hate the job with a vengeance because it had changed so much since I started.
    I live in a country area and have a hobby (amateur radio).
    Basically I get up about 8.30am get some brekkie, get on the computer for an hour or so, checking out Digital Spy, new CD releases on various websites, Facebook etc. Then weather permitting I walk up to the village with my wife to fetch the newspapers and anything else we need, stopping to chat to anyone we meet. We come back have a cuppa read the papers, have a go at the crossword and Su Doku, then I check out the amateur radio bands and perhaps have a chat there, then perhaps do a bit of gardening or general pottering before lunch, perhaps listening to something interesting on the radio while I do so. Then a bit more radio hamming or downloading music and transferring to CD, sawing logs, hedge trimming etc etc then Countdown on TV. It's a great life.
    We have at least one day out per week, either a shopping trip to Shrewsbury, Oswestry etc, visiting relatives, a day at the coast in the summer, a bike ride, a walk.
    I've been retired for 4 years now and haven't been bored for a moment. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a little way off retiring yet, but I have tried to put in place constructive steps ready for my retirement. I have put in place pensions and have accrued a nice nest egg... Recently I have undertaken the project of renovating a property for my retirement, which I am now letting as a holiday home, and generating a sizeable income from that. Even though it's a way off I do feel better for being prepared. I have no plans to work until I drop :(
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since she has retired my mum has taken on adult learning courses, she meets fellow retired friends for coffee, she volunteers to help run the local museum. Her weekends are booked up well into autumn.

She seems far happier being retired than she was working.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    Quite frankly, how to pass the time when I retired was not a question I ever considered when I was working. I got to hate the job with a vengeance because it had changed so much since I started.
    I live in a country area and have a hobby (amateur radio).
    Basically I get up about 8.30am get some brekkie, get on the computer for an hour or so, checking out Digital Spy, new CD releases on various websites, Facebook etc. Then weather permitting I walk up to the village with my wife to fetch the newspapers and anything else we need, stopping to chat to anyone we meet. We come back have a cuppa read the papers, have a go at the crossword and Su Doku, then I check out the amateur radio bands and perhaps have a chat there, then perhaps do a bit of gardening or general pottering before lunch, perhaps listening to something interesting on the radio while I do so. Then a bit more radio hamming or downloading music and transferring to CD, sawing logs, hedge trimming etc etc then Countdown on TV. It's a great life.
    We have at least one day out per week, either a shopping trip to Shrewsbury, Oswestry etc, visiting relatives, a day at the coast in the summer, a bike ride, a walk.
    I've been retired for 4 years now and haven't been bored for a moment. ;)

Crikey ~ I always had you down as about 25, JELLISOE !!!

Pleased to hear you're enjoying life, anyway
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    Same age here .... I doubt I'll get a retirement ....

When I was an apprentice I worked in a big factory site that had about 10,000-15,000 working there. Every week at least one person died of a heart attack, I put it down to stress of piece work.
    In one building they use to make big castings and general fabrications, if you made it to 60 you were lucky. In the 12 years I was there only one man saw retirement in that building and he was a foreman who had his own office so didn't have to breathe in all the fumes but he only lasted 6 months.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Crikey ~ I always had you down as about 25, JELLISOE !!!

Pleased to hear you're enjoying life, anyway

Perhaps I should have kept quiet about my age then :D:D
    Thanks blueblade. I'm 60 at the end of the month and although I hated my job I still agonised for months and months as to whether to take advantage of an early release scheme or to hang on until I reached 60 in order to gain a higher pension.
    Things worked out even better than imagined. I certainly made the right decision.