Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arse = ass
    fanny/minge = snizz

Shite = shit :p
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Voynich wrote: »
    Their bums are tramps and our bums are fannies.
    Bums or hobos.

Barf.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I would say increasingly so over the 4 decades I can vouch for, but when we import as much of our entertainment from the USA as we do in the form of TV, films, video games, music, websites etc inevitably it's going to rub off.

But then the UK has exported its culture and traditions around the world, particularly when it was the biggest superpower, and that's had a lasting impact.
  • RihannaRoyaltyRihannaRoyalty Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I wish Obama was our leader
  • icefallicefall Posts: 7,709
    Forum Member
    It really jarrs me when someone says sucks and I still say film instead of movie!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? If he were in the UK, he would be a Tory.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?..
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Why? :eek:
  • RihannaRoyaltyRihannaRoyalty Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Why?..

His such a cool guy
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    His such a cool guy

His such a cool guy?
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His such a cool guy

Cool to look at? or Cool in his view of the world?
  • heart of glassheart of glass Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really irritates me the way Americans say "we speak American English". There is no such bloody thing. Then I found this quote and felt better: There is no such thing as 'American English'. There is the English language and there are mistakes. :D
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    It really irritates me the way Americans say "we speak American English".

Never heard Americans say that. Heard it plenty here though.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard Americans say that. Heard it plenty here though.

I only hear that sort of thing on this forum when a small number of posters make things up to complain about.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent years "train station" instead of railway station has become sadly common.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? If he were in the UK, he would be a Tory.

In the U.S. the Republicans are the right wing party, similar to the Conservatives in the U.K.
    Barack Obama is a Democrat, traditionally the party of the blue collar working stiff.
    Watching him, reading about him, and listening to him, I think that he'd be closer in line with the U.K.s Lib-Dems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the U.S. the Republicans are the right wing party, similar to the Conservatives in the U.K.
    Barack Obama is a Democrat, traditionally the party of the blue collar working stiff.
    Watching him, reading about him, and listening to him, I think that he'd be closer in line with the U.K.s Lib-Dems.

The US seems to have very different ideas on left/right wing labels. By European standards, the Democrats would be right of centre. Then again, Labour and Lib Dems are pretty right of centre these days as well :rolleyes:
  • LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    In recent years "train station" instead of railway station has become sadly common.

But you don't see why this is 'sadly' common. It's a station where you catch trains, it's fairly comprehensive to call it a train station.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People, particularly young ones, in the UK are becoming as fat as those in the US.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I've been to various places all over the US and am in California at the moment. I must admit, there is a lot less novelty factor about the US now, because I think the TV and Internet has made our cultures come more in line with each others.

While the UK obviously has an older and more European feel, I think both countries feel a lot more like each other now than they ever have done in my experience.
  • whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US seems to have very different ideas on left/right wing labels. By European standards, the Democrats would be right of centre. Then again, Labour and Lib Dems are pretty right of centre these days as well :rolleyes:

I think you are right. I am centre right and I associate much more with the Democrat party. I almost feel ill when I listen to the Republicans going on and moaning about Obamacare. Only this morning we walked past a lady begging she had lost everything trying to pay medical bills. She was crying and shaking as she told us - horrible.

And before anyone says anyone this is not what the majority of Tory voters want for the UK only those on the far right,

As for the UK being like the US no way very different in good and bad ways
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Listen here, you Americans!

We don't want your Apple, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, FedEx etc! I mean, it's not as though we've ever taken our culture and rammed it down anyone else's throat just because ....

Oh! Hang on .... :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you are right. I am centre right and I associate much more with the Democrat party. I almost feel ill when I listen to the Republicans going on and moaning about Obamacare. Only this morning we walked past a lady begging she had lost everything trying to pay medical bills. She was crying and shaking as she told us - horrible.

And before anyone says anyone this is not what the majority of Tory voters want for the UK only those on the far right,

As for the UK being like the US no way very different in good and bad ways

Yeah, the US healthcare system is a mess and any American I talk to says the same. I read somewhere that the vast majority of bankruptcies in the US are healthcare related and most of those actually had health insurance. I don't know how true that is but if it is true, it is truly scary.

I do see similarities between our two countries but I see a lot of differences as well.