100 school kids sent home for wearing the wrong shoes

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
Forum Member
www.express.co.uk/news/uk/506732/School-children-sent-home-wrong-shoes-black

100?

Forget the parents & students for a second. If 100 kids aren't listening to the most basic of things like uniform, what does that say about the school and the way it communicates?

Comments

• bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's that vitally important to them, would it not have been more appropriate to send a letter, text or e mail to their parents, asking that they buy the "correct" ones ?

Seems like overkill to send the kids home.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I have to question the text message the headmistress sent:

Your child is wearing the wrong shoes we are sending THEM home.

Your child? Them??

This is from a teacher and grammatically incorrect. Unless she meant the shoes...
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finland. Considered to have best education system in Europe and arguably the world. NO school uniform. Go figure.

Uniforms no more 'necessary' for schools than for universities. Academically the best state schools in my area have a more laid back attitude to the minutiae of uniform adherence.
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100 is a fail of the school rather than the parents or kids.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »

Your child? Them??

This is from a teacher and grammatically incorrect. Unless she meant the shoes...

So what was sent home?

You could argue that, unless they were barefoot, it was the pupil and their shoes.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »

Your child? Them??

When you send out a mass email or text, 'him/her' seems awkward so 'their' or 'them' can be used as a gender-neutral alternative. Not pretty, but it can work.

I tend to opt for 'their' or 'them' when I use 'person' or 'everyone'. I usually shy from using 'one' because it tends to put people off. "One doesn't smirk at one's dog."

Frankly, I can't believe the English language still doesn't have gender-neutral pronouns, especially with the popularity of unisex names and gender fluidity on the rise. Japanese language doesn't have a gender distinction in most of its pronouns. British Sign Language doesn't, either. Cantonese and Mandarin as well. Why can't English?
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter. It's not going to make a blind bit if difference to the kids education.

I can see the report now. Well Jimmy got a B on his maths test, but he was wearing black trainers. Had he been wearing black shoes he would have got an A.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a parent kept their kid off school for a reason as petty and unimportant as that, they'd be threatened with a fine, if not hit with one immediately. I really don't think people who make moronic decisions like this should be in positions of authority over others.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a lot of people are blaming the school and saying it's obviously their fault but considering a lot of parents think they ca skirt the rules by giving them all black trainers instead of proper shoes, because children don't think formal shoes are cool enough, then you have to assign blame on the parents too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this little bit though.
    Frustrated Emma and David Guthrie bought a £20 pair of black formal shoes for their son Lewis, 12, a week before the start of term. Mrs Guthrie was at home when she was told her son had not been allowed into the Coseley School in Bilston, West Midlands yesterday morning.

Well, you can bet your ass he changed into trainers the second you weren't there.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess is the parents already had guidelines about what shoes to get and, with pressure from their little darlings, bought something else. It happens every year somewhere.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Your child is wearing the wrong shoes we are sending THEM home."

Shouldn't there be a comma, or full stop, in there

"Your child is wearing the wrong shoes, we are sending them home."
    "Your child is wearing the wrong shoes. We are sending them home."

Or even better perhaps.

"Your child is being sent home because they are wearing the wrong shoes."

But considering that it was only a text message, which is an informal method of communication, does it really matter?
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,737
    Forum Member
    The school says it communicated the uniform requirements twice last year and briefed all the pupils. I think it's more to do with parents wilfully or mistakenly misunderstanding what is appropriate. Personally, I think Adidas or Converse footwear is obviously not.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    It was Coseley. Surprised the kids were wearing any shoes at all.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    "Your child is wearing the wrong shoes we are sending THEM home."

Shouldn't there be a comma, or full stop, in there

"Your child is wearing the wrong shoes, we are sending them home."
    "Your child is wearing the wrong shoes. We are sending them home."

Or even better perhaps.

"Your child is being sent home because they are wearing the wrong shoes."

But considering that it was only a text message, which is an informal method of communication, does it really matter?

^This^

My school was very strict over adherence to the correct uniform but any child not conforming was sent home with a letter. Mind, this was before everyone had a mobile phone. Still, it's a bit of a draconian approach.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter what sort of shoes you wear to learn of course it does not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »

But when a school has a uniform guideline in place the children should stick to it, whether it affects their learning or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    But when a school has a uniform guideline in place the children should stick to it, whether it affects their learning or not.

So your one of them rules are rules and must be obey.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »

Fair enough, but a letter home warning the next time these guidelines are broken your child will be sent home, or even give them a few days grace so the shoes can be sorted this weekend, but to send the pupils home is way over the top, and really is a poor show from the schools head.
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wearing the wrong footwear will affect your education if it results in you being sent home from school. Perhaps the question should be, why didn't the parents send their children to school in school shoes ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    Wearing the wrong footwear will affect your education if it results in you being sent home from school. Perhaps the question should be, why didn't the parents send their children to school in school shoes ?

Kids can change shoes when they get out of the house.
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids can change shoes when they get out of the house.

in which case they would have had the correct shoes with them and could have changed. Either way, it's a parental responsibility issue.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the insistence on leather shoes surely discriminates against vegans and others who have reasons not to wear animal hides :confused:

Really, as long as the basic units of the uniform are present - same colour trousers, shirts etc - what's wrong with allowing a little creativity or comfort in the footwear....petty little people
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    littleboo wrote: »
    in which case they would have had the correct shoes with them and could have changed. Either way, it's a parental responsibility issue.

cannot blame the parents if the kids change into trainers when they get out of the house can you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pope_tart wrote: »
    the insistence on leather shoes surely discriminates against vegans and others who have reasons not to wear animal hides :confused:

Really, as long as the basic units of the uniform are present - same colour trousers, shirts etc - what's wrong with allowing a little creativity or comfort in the footwear....petty little people

would be good if all the parents their sent their kids into school in their trainers.