Options

Louis Walsh - Bruce Forsyth is finished comments.

Comments

• Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianner wrote: »
    Lou-Lou is the male version of Sharon Osbourne.

Perez Hilton will be really upset to hear that.
  • Options
    notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's rumoured that Forsyth is unpleasant to work with and grandiose about his celebrity.

He's a has been and has no place in contemporary programming imho. Should have retired 10 years ago.

I say this as someone who can't stand X Factor, don't watch it, and not over keen on Louis Walsh either.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Isnt he friends with Sharon Osbourne? :rolleyes:

when those two get together the claws must really come out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce must be gutted to be criticised by someone so talented as Louis Walsh.

If you can call being Simon Cowell's gimp a talent of course.
  • Options
    ValLambertValLambert Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to say I agree with Louis on a lot o his points. I find Forsythe creepy and sexist. I record Strictly and fast forward through most of his bits as some of his comments for females give me the creeps. He isn't funny and a lot of the time verges on sexist.
  • Options
    mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Perez Hilton will be really upset to hear that.

You think? :confused:
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djcamp wrote: »
    Should probably say i have a vested interest here, tho i wont go into detail what, but I agree completely Vodka_Drinka, ever since the Pop Idol days, Cowell has been going down and down in my estimation.

The way he has ridden Simon Fuller's coat tails twice, first in the UK then on American Idol and has twice royally shafted him has shocked even me, someone who has worked in entertainment since i left Uni. Everyone is aware of the "alleged rumour" that Cowell effectively blackmailed ITV into dropping Pop Idol to keep him at the channel, and surprise surprise he has "allegedly" done it again in the USA.

It is a real shame the court case over the two shows never went through as although very difficult to prove the formats are too similar, the case seemed to be a relatively easy win on the fact that both he and most of the crew of Idol had non-compete clauses, which had "allegedly obviously" been broken... I always found it interesting that Waterman didn't jump ship to XF, as they were still talking then ;)

I joked to some industry people before that if Fuller created a show about how the world wipes its a**e, Cowell would launch an overhyped copy 18 months later to which one responded, "Funny you say that, Cowells shopping a So you think you can dance copy to US networks" which says it all really. Fuller has the Spice Girls, Cowell fails miserably with Girl Thing, Fuller has annie lennox, Cowell has... Sinnita (ok maybe not!) Fuller goes into fashion, Cowell buddies up with Greasy Green of Arcadia. Even the personal lives, Fuller marries for the first time 18 months ago, surprise, surprise Cowell's marrying, and even more surprising... a woman:eek:

It's interesting to read this as I always thought the X Factor/Pop Idol thing was a bit dodgy and got the impression from interviews that Pete Waterman was a little bit... not on board with the whole Cowell train.

As for the wedding-what could you possibly be implying:D
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should probably say i have a vested interest here, tho i wont go into detail what, but I agree completely Vodka_Drinka, ever since the Pop Idol days, Cowell has been going down and down in my estimation.

The way he has ridden Simon Fuller's coat tails twice, first in the UK then on American Idol and has twice royally shafted him has shocked even me, someone who has worked in entertainment since i left Uni. Everyone is aware of the "alleged rumour" that Cowell effectively blackmailed ITV into dropping Pop Idol to keep him at the channel, and surprise surprise he has "allegedly" done it again in the USA.

It is a real shame the court case over the two shows never went through as although very difficult to prove the formats are too similar, the case seemed to be a relatively easy win on the fact that both he and most of the crew of Idol had non-compete clauses, which had "allegedly obviously" been broken... I always found it interesting that Waterman didn't jump ship to XF, as they were still talking then ;)

I joked to some industry people before that if Fuller created a show about how the world wipes its a**e, Cowell would launch an overhyped copy 18 months later to which one responded, "Funny you say that, Cowells shopping a So you think you can dance copy to US networks" which says it all really. Fuller has the Spice Girls, Cowell fails miserably with Girl Thing, Fuller has annie lennox, Cowell has... Sinnita (ok maybe not!) Fuller goes into fashion, Cowell buddies up with Greasy Green of Arcadia. Even the personal lives, Fuller marries for the first time 18 months ago, surprise, surprise Cowell's marrying, and even more surprising... a woman:eek:

This is all very interesting. Pop Idol always was a much superior format to the X Factor, but the audience had total control over it and Simon got lumbered, twice, with an act he didn't really want or get. This is even though it doesn't take a genius to work out Will Young was more talented than Gareth Gates. The X Factor allows him and his arse crawlers, sorry, fellow judges;) to have total control over and manipulate the outcome.

Simon also had that awful rip off of the BBC Andrew Lloyd Webber musical reality shows on ITV. It was beyond dire. And what is this hold Sinitta has over him? Why does he feel the need to keep her and his fellow "ex girlfriends" sweet?
  • Options
    roidboy_roidboy_ Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    say basically in other words he is wishing death on bruce...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brucie has sustained a decades long career, like him or not I give him credit for that.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    It's interesting to read this as I always thought the X Factor/Pop Idol thing was a bit dodgy and got the impression from interviews that Pete Waterman was a little bit... not on board with the whole Cowell train.

As for the wedding-what could you possibly be implying:D

Pete Waterman had quite a public strop when Michelle McManus won Pop Idol so from that point it was surprising that he was being linked with a job on The X Factor. He didn't seem to enjoy his time on Popstars: The Rivals either.
    The pop impresario served as a judge on Popstars: The Rivals and both series of Pop Idol, but has not been seen on a TV talent hunt since 2003.

He told DS: "The problem I have with reality shows now is they've become too TV...Where reality TV has gone now is that it's television and it's not about the music. When I was on reality TV - for two, three, four series - I always put the music first.

“In the last two series I did I could see the editors didn't want the music. All the editors wanted was the silly faces, the swearing and the fights and, you know, that's not for me. Not for me. That's not what I do. Simon (Cowell) does that very well.”

Waterman also cast doubts about The X Factor’s ability to find a world-class singing talent, saying: "Well, it hasn't so far, has it? I'm not gonna knock Simon - Simon's my best mate. Simon does a fantastic job. I've never seen The X Factor because he's my best friend. All I know is I haven't seen anybody yet last as long as Girls Aloud."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/realitytv/a70600/waterman-vows-never-to-return-to-reality-tv.html

He had a book of some description out towards the end of the last year and he was regularly knocking the show but he still got a big mention at Cowell's 50th. He reappeared in January doing some commentating on Fuller/Cowell in which he generally sounded like the voiceover man on X Factor building up the tension ahead of the final showdown.

I'm not sure that he ever had a non compete clause. He did Popstars: The Rivals after Pop Idol. Indeed, the whole thing was rather incestuous! Nicki Chapman judged Popstars before doing 2 series of Pop Idol. Louis Walsh judged Popstars: The Rivals then joined X Factor. Nigel Lythgoe was the producer/judge of Popstars who then became the Exec producer of Pop Idol & American Idol. And an Executive Producer on Popstars: The Rivals later did the same job on The X Factor.

And Simon Cowell was said to have been offered a chance to judge Popstars but it never happened, though the reasons are not entirely clear (some reports have him pulling out because he didn't like it, others say his record label wouldn't let him do it because the music rights were at Universal).
  • Options
    djcampdjcamp Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »
    Pete Waterman had quite a public strop when Michelle McManus won Pop Idol so from that point it was surprising that he was being linked with a job on The X Factor. He didn't seem to enjoy his time on Popstars: The Rivals either.
    It's true Pete did have one almighty strop, but anyone who knows him knows this is not exactly out of the ordinary,:D whether he wanted to Cowell could have coaxed him out to do XF, but things had soured somewhat between them by then and Waterman takes exception to the blatent manipulation of the shows now... the deaths, journeys, tears etc.

While we're on the subject of McManus, it's worth remembering who was the main champion of the "fat girl with a good voice"journey... one Simon Phillip Cowell, so he pushed the audience to vote for her then wanted nothing to do when she won!
    I'm not sure that he ever had a non compete clause. He did Popstars: The Rivals after Pop Idol.
    Trust me, the non-compete was there for just about everyone on Idol, the reason Waterman could do P:Rivals was because the green light had been given to start AI so the senior production team were focusing on that. It was agreed that Idol could alternate years, hence the reason Idol was '01 finishing start of '02 and then in '03. Besides why would Cowell have given up a third of the XF profits, putting him and 19 on equal footing, if there was not a v.good chance he'd lose the case?

If theres one thing that anyone in the industry knows, it's that you can't beat a 19 contract. Many have tried... and failed. Thats the reason after leaving the company the Spice Girls, Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken still have to hand over large percentages of their earnings. The rule tends to be 'play fair' as some former Idols have and you get a clean break, cause bad headlines with your departure and you will be paying for it. Aiken was "allegedly" famously told where he could go when trying to give 'support' to Adam Lambert over his sexuality because he "allegedly" convinced Kelly Clarkson to leave the 19.
    Indeed, the whole thing was rather incestuous! Nicki Chapman judged Popstars before doing 2 series of Pop Idol. Louis Walsh judged Popstars: The Rivals then joined X Factor. Nigel Lythgoe was the producer/judge of Popstars who then became the Exec producer of Pop Idol & American Idol. And an Executive Producer on Popstars: The Rivals later did the same job on The X Factor.
    Nicky and Nigel took up senior roles at 19, so while in Nigels case it was partly to use his knowledge from popstars, it was also just about getting someone who had the experience in the industry to oversee a new indie. Nicky had had a long history with 19 so Brilliant, her PR co. with Nik Godwyn was effectively just bought to bring them in-house. Brilliant 19 which Godwyn continued to run with Nic Shymansky went on to discover a singer called Amy Winehouse (and as an aside it's Chapman, Godwyn and Shymansky who are the 'They' in "They tried to make me go to Rehab") and manage Darius Danesh/Campbell/hitmebabyonemoretime and Tyler James. It should also be noted that it was only after Nigel stopped showrunning AI that it started to ramp up the 'Journeys'/crying/pantomime nonsense that Cowell's shows are known for.:eek:
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A huge part of me hopes the X Factor USA flops big time and Simon rues the day he ever turned his back on Idol.

Me too, Simon Cowell is getting too much like Tesco, too big and too much of a monopoly. Not to mention making lots of money off the backs of other people, whilst paying them a pittance.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markjuk wrote: »
    Me too, Simon Cowell is getting too much like Tesco, too big and too much of a monopoly. Not to mention making lots of money off the backs of other people, whilst paying them a pittance.

Tesco - now you're talking. Just how much do they pay ALL those leechy zelebs for their voiceovers?
  • Options
    sweetmisssweetmiss Posts: 3,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not fan of bruce but louis can be such an insensitive arse :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's true Pete did have one almighty strop, but anyone who knows him knows this is not exactly out of the ordinary,:D whether he wanted to Cowell could have coaxed him out to do XF, but things had soured somewhat between them by then and Waterman takes exception to the blatent manipulation of the shows now... the deaths, journeys, tears etc.

While we're on the subject of McManus, it's worth remembering who was the main champion of the "fat girl with a good voice"journey... one Simon Phillip Cowell, so he pushed the audience to vote for her then wanted nothing to do when she won!

Trust me, the non-compete was there for just about everyone on Idol, the reason Waterman could do P:Rivals was because the green light had been given to start AI so the senior production team were focusing on that. It was agreed that Idol could alternate years, hence the reason Idol was '01 finishing start of '02 and then in '03. Besides why would Cowell have given up a third of the XF profits, putting him and 19 on equal footing, if there was not a v.good chance he'd lose the case?

If theres one thing that anyone in the industry knows, it's that you can't beat a 19 contract. Many have tried... and failed. Thats the reason after leaving the company the Spice Girls, Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken still have to hand over large percentages of their earnings. The rule tends to be 'play fair' as some former Idols have and you get a clean break, cause bad headlines with your departure and you will be paying for it. Aiken was "allegedly" famously told where he could go when trying to give 'support' to Adam Lambert over his sexuality because he "allegedly" convinced Kelly Clarkson to leave the 19.

Nicky and Nigel took up senior roles at 19, so while in Nigels case it was partly to use his knowledge from popstars, it was also just about getting someone who had the experience in the industry to oversee a new indie. Nicky had had a long history with 19 so Brilliant, her PR co. with Nik Godwyn was effectively just bought to bring them in-house. Brilliant 19 which Godwyn continued to run with Nic Shymansky went on to discover a singer called Amy Winehouse (and as an aside it's Chapman, Godwyn and Shymansky who are the 'They' in "They tried to make me go to Rehab") and manage Darius Danesh/Campbell/hitmebabyonemoretime and Tyler James. It should also be noted that it was only after Nigel stopped showrunning AI that it started to ramp up the 'Journeys'/crying/pantomime nonsense that Cowell's shows are known for.:eek:

I wondered if this was the case. I much preferred Idol when Nigel was still running it. It's all very interesting anyway DJ. To stay on topic, I agree with whoever said Louis is just trying for a bit of controversy to end in the papers.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow. This is all really interesting stuff! And yes I had noticed the sudden increase in sob stories on American Idol in the past two series, which they'd always resisted using before. I didn't realise it was because Nigel Lythgoe had stopped producing the show.. Its' a shame as Idol was always more about talent than anything else and thats why I liked it over the X Factor. It's also become more manipulated as well with that silly "save" thing where the judges can choose to save one contestant voted off each season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    I wondered if this was the case. I much preferred Idol when Nigel was still running it. It's all very interesting anyway DJ. To stay on topic, I agree with whoever said Louis is just trying for a bit of controversy to end in the papers.

Sorry, I was just trying to avoid giving any more discussion time to the creepy old Miss World lover and a man who is generally known as a laughing stock in the industry and who couldn't find his way out of a door, cupboard or closet if there his life depended on it.;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I was just trying to avoid giving any more discussion time to the creepy old Miss World lover and a man who is generally known as a laughing stock in the industry and who couldn't find his way out of a door, cupboard or closet if there his life depended on it.;):p

Oh no, I meant me when I mentioned staying on topic :). And if Louis is a laughing stock, what do people think of his boss SC?

(I will admit to enjoying Brucie on Strictly though, bad jokes and all :o)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed. I think the "journey" has always been a part of it (Gareth's stutter being the first) whether Pete knew it or not. It's a reality TV show staple whether it's Cowell/Fuller/Endemol/Mark Burnett. The difference was that Gareth was an infinitely better singer than Michelle (and living proof that no good can come from sleeping with Jordan!).

Clay Aiken's transformation from geek to geek-chic was another one. The problem is where it is overdone (X Factor series 4 and the current Idol) and they lack the talent. There's also a difference between a "journey" and a "sob story", often they go too far to the second.

Speaking of Michelle, she seems to have recovered. She is now on Scottish TV every day at 5pm! Terrible show, terrible host, but credit to her. She was also pretty dignified when it all went wrong. I don't think anyone from these shows ever got dropped by management and record label so quickly?!

Though you think Fuller could have pushed it further if there was something so explicit? (I'm not saying you're wrong, just pondering) I'm sure I read that there was a non compete clause for Ronagold although X Factor was through a new company.

I've never actually seen or heard anything about what Fremantle had to give up? They were named and all their staff worked on PI & XF. It was "one third of Syco's share" from 2005-2009 rather than one third of the overall share, so Fremantle didn't seem to lose out there (unless there's something else).

So I take it we won't be seeing Clay Aiken on American Idol anytime soon?!
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce is supposed to be an unpleasant man-- and Louis has a right to his opinions, just as Bruce had to his, about the X factor.
    I never liked Bruce as an entertainer, he is talentless and always was, unfunny and a pain in the butt.He is too old and looks doddery; when you think Arlene was let go because of age and he is still there ,its ludicrous.He will be carried off the show in a box.
    All his women were ridiculously too young for him and he comes across as an egotist.What did you see in millionaire Brucie then? darlin.Love Sharon, at least she has a personality and is not a weeping, whiney clothes horse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. I think the "journey" has always been a part of it
    Of course, and i have never had a problem with the idea. When you look at someone like Gareth Gates both during the show, and from his audition till now, has gone on a huge J--- No, I can't say it!, it's just how it has become the generic thing now. Kellie Pickler is another. Someone who has had some REAL hardship in her life and should be celebrated as having 'come good'

Watch XF though and its:

Husband left you... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance...

crashed a car in 1976... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance...

Simply being a minority or in any way different... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance...

Under 21... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance... ;)

stubbed your toe on the way to the studio... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance...

had a bit of stale toast for breakfast... sobbing, journey talk, shots of your kids every chance...

Though you think Fuller could have pushed it further if there was something so explicit? (I'm not saying you're wrong, just pondering) I'm sure I read that there was a non compete clause for Ronagold although X Factor was through a new company.

I've never actually seen or heard anything about what Fremantle had to give up? They were named and all their staff worked on PI & XF. It was "one third of Syco's share" from 2005-2009 rather than one third of the overall share, so Fremantle didn't seem to lose out there (unless there's something else).

This is getting to a place where i have to think about every word before I type it:D Most of what you're wondering is the same stuff everyone was wondering at the time because it was in the stuff that the SEC withheld:eek: Can't remember the exact percentages of what after all this time, you're more likely to know than me, i just know Fuller was happy with, if you excuse the phrase, the final solution.

So I take it we won't be seeing Clay Aiken on American Idol anytime soon?!

With what's happening at 19 at the moment, anything's possible, although, they're still holding Ruben Studdard's recording contract and have allowed him to tour with Aiken so perhaps Clay Aiken Week is just around the corner;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^

Very interesting, I'll leave you alone now! :D It's 1.20am and nobody should have to think too much about what they are typing at this time!
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    skhwoody wrote: »
    Is it just me or has this angered anyone, totally disrespectful, and to coin a phrase totally ageist, just because Bruce Forsyth does not like reality shows, he is apparently out of touch and quote

"Walsh, 57, told the Evening Standard: "Brucie is too old. He's from a different era. He shouldn't even be alive at his age."

I think that is totally out of order. At least bruce has some talent.

Does Walsh think people should all be put down at 65?
  • Options
    Indigo_19Indigo_19 Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree Louis Walsh is an idiot, who constantly makes ridiculous and sometimes (in this case) hurtful remarks without thinking. Although this certainly is the case I do think Bruce should retire now while he still has some credibility. He is really past it now and thats just my opinion don't shoot me :o