How Americanzed is The U.K?

RihannaRoyaltyRihannaRoyalty Posts: 282
Forum Member
Tbh I don't see much different apart from we don't have thanks giving and accents

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Tbh I don't see much different apart from we don't have thanks giving and accents

Some of us don't have their spelling either.
  • RihannaRoyaltyRihannaRoyalty Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Some of us don't have their spelling either.

What ??
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

You have accents -- a lot of different ones.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK is more like the US than it's people care to admit. I guess that comes with being their faithful ball licking lapdog.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I dunno why people on here care as much as they do about American things. If you mention Halloween or "proms" etc, you get an ear bashing.
  • LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really know to tell the truth. What does confuse me is why people hate Americans so much.

When there is a thread on here about a possible 'Americanisation' creeping into British speech, the vitriol that is written about it is astonishing.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK we have many different accents, from the obvious Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents (and, I can imagine that many people in those countries also have different accents) to Geordie, Yorkshire, Lancashire, West Country, London, and many many other accents here in the UK.

We don't have Thanksgiving no, America doesn't have Boxing Day or Guy Fawkes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leewich wrote: »
    I don't really know to tell the truth. What does confuse me is why people hate Americans so much.

When there is a thread on here about a possible 'Americanisation' creeping into British speech, the vitriol that is written about it is astonishing.

I think people tend to lump the whole population in with the loonies we hear about and the government which is not fair. The vast majority of Americans are decent folk.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulz no accents.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    In the UK we have many different accents, from the obvious Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents (and, I can imagine that many people in those countries also have different accents) to Geordie, Yorkshire, Lancashire, West Country, London, and many many other accents here in the UK.

We don't have Thanksgiving no, America doesn't have Boxing Day or Guy Fawkes.

In Northern Ireland, each county has it's own distinct accent. Some counties even have multiple accents.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I think people tend to lump the whole population in with the loonies we hear about and the government which is not fair. The vast majority of Americans are decent folk.

I think he means on here specifically and not the people he is talking about, more anytime American "concepts" are talked about on here you get some little Englander jumping down someone's throat saying things like "keep that over there we dont do that crap here".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he means on here specifically and not the people he is talking about, more anytime American "concepts" are talked about on here you get some little Englander jumping down someone's throat saying things like "keep that over there we dont do that crap here".

Ah right, I don't pay much attention to the little Englander types, they tend to have little of interest to say.

Give me a gun toting Yank any day :D:p
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    You have accents -- a lot of different ones.
    Absolutely!
    When I was a teenager I could distinguish a whole range of accents just within my county - a 20 mile circumference of my home.

Edit: agree entirely with posts 9 and 11 :cool:
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some real winners in this thread.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edit: agree entirely with posts 9 and 11 :cool:

In a thread about the US? It's a bloody conspiracy! That's what it is, a bloody conspiracy!
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Funny the OP started a thread like this! Me and my uncle were just discussing earlier on tonight about one of the ways in which the UK has become like the US, and he reckons the "compensation culture" is one very prominent example of "Americanization" in the UK.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spelling "Americanisation" as "Americanization" is Americanisation.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha! Yes spelling is different for some words. That should not change in the near future anyway.
  • McMahauldMcMahauld Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have many cowboys... and Indians.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their bums are tramps and our bums are fannies.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our republicans tend to be on the left.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've travelled extensively in the last 15 years and I've only ever found that the "ordinary" people of all nationalities are friendly, helpful, curious, gracious and warm.
    The authorities who govern them are another matter.
    I have a nephew who was overwhelmed by the hospitality and warmth shown to him whilst backpacking abroad. He speaks with great affection of the people who insisted on offering him shelter and food in Iran.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    Their bums are tramps and our bums are fannies.

That doesn't make any sense.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    does to me.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Spelling "Americanisation" as "Americanization" is Americanisation.

Thank goodness! I thought it was just me.