Options

What Is It With The Ridiculously Stupid Backround Voice Over? Channel 5+1 Anyone??

LilSoapyFangirlLilSoapyFangirl Posts: 155
Forum Member
I don't know of any other place appropriate enough to post this, so here goes.

I have been watching Neighbours and Home & Away on channel 5 +1 for a while now.
(the timing for them on the original channel 5 is bit awkward for me)
But in the last couple of days now, for some stupid reason, these 2 soaps now have some random voice over person in the backround telling me what is happening in nearly every scene, from one..... to the next. It's very disheartening, not to mention so irritating and down right annoying!! >:(

It's like I'm listening to someone telling me a story which I DO NOT need to know, because everything is there on the screen..... right in front of me!
This is so damned annoying for me, and I see absolutely no point to it
whatsoever! >:(

I don't know whether or not this happens with these 2 soaps on the original channel 5 since I don't really watch that channel. I wouldn't be surprised if it was though!
(considering these 2 channels are the same, just an hour later with +1)

And why on earth do they have to do it with channel 5 +1 alone?
I'm an avid Eastenders watcher with BBC1, and there is no stupid voice over in the backround there. I just don't understand why it has to happen, only with
channel 5 +1! >:(

Is there anyone else out there experiencing this silly voice over with these 2 soaps on this channel, or just me? (heaven forbid it's just me!) :-/

I'd really like to know how long this silly crap is going to last for too!
I really hope it's not forever! :(:(

Comments

• Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like audio description
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    I'd agree with the poster above - definitely sounds like you've somehow turned on audio description (which is designed for people who are blind/partially sighted but not available for all programmes). There's probably some way you can turn it off on your tv/remote control - perhaps from the function/settings menu.
  • Options
    wiggles247wiggles247 Posts: 48,088
    Forum Member
    Have just checked and on my remote control you get at it through the 'options' button, where it's got a separate tab which is either set to 'Off' or 'Automatic'

Hope you manage to find out how to switch it off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG! Thank you very much guys! That was very helpful indeed! :)

After reading your replies, I was able to fix this. Phew! What a great relief that was!
    I would have been tearing my hair out over this if I had left it too long to find
    any help.

I don't know about you guys, but I am connected to Virgin Media. (popular digital company) My remote control sounds a bit different to yours, obviously.
    So I don't have an "Options" button, but instead, certain T.V. settings are found through my "Home" button where I can set the general T.V. settings and interactive stuff e.t.c.

I sometimes play around with these settings through the "Home" button to see what's available, and obviously it has this audio description thing, (which I gussed was designed for blind people) which at some point I completely forgot all about, the last time I was playing with these settings.

Thanks to you guys, I am able to, and have now just turned this feature off for myself since I'm not blind, and therefore I do not need to use such a feature whilst watching my favourite programmes.

Thanks again guys! :)*puts 2 thumbs up!*
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you press 'info' on the remote it will tell you if AD is on and you can switch it off by selecting it and pressing OK.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to you guys, I am able to, and have now just turned this feature off for myself since I'm not blind, and therefore I do not need to use such a feature whilst watching [/i]

Glad you have got it sorted...
    AD can be a great help when you cannot see the programme ... E,g in the kitchen ..
    Just like subtitles are useful In the gym.

The major channels have over 30% of programmes with AD ....
    And some film channel are 100% AD ..

AD can also help people who may find it difficult to follow the programme .

DTT has AD where you can vary the AD voice versus the programme sound
    Sky has the inferior broadcasters mix.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the extra replies. I appreciate them, and they were rather helpful. :)
    I understand that such features are very helpful for people who are blind, or are partially sighted, so they would need to use this.

I also have an option on mine that includes sub-titles for people who are deaf. (hard of hearing)
    Again, I understand this would be a very handy feature for them, and they can use it as they wish to.

In the beginning, when I noticed this issue for myself, I was a bit worried that the company who work for Channel 5 had suddenly put this audio description for Neighbours and Home & Away, and obviously it was bugging me.
    So I'm glad the forums are here, which was very helpful to me. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you press 'info' on the remote it will tell you if AD is on and you can switch it off by selecting it and pressing OK.

Yeah.... my remote control works slightly differently when I press the "I" (for information).
    Instead, it just brings up an info box telling me what the current programme I'm watching is all about.
    Obviously I can press it again to make it disappear.
    Though I think I understand what you mean.

There are slightly different types of hand controllers I think, depending on what your set top box looks like, which again, mine will be slightly dfferent too.
    It's one I've had for a while, so it may not be one that is completely new and up to date.