Options

Well done Scotland over drink drive limit.

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
Great move. If it stops 1 selfish idiot having that extra pint that would have increased their reaction time enough to cause an accident then it's a good job done well. England next, please. It's about time we realised that the choice is drink OR drive. Not both.

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I agree. The idea of a 'limit' is, and always has been, absurd.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There has to be a limit just above zero because most people will have traces of alcohol in their system due to the food they eat or many hours after consuming a small amount of alcohol. Also, doesn't the human body produce a small amount of alcohol by itself?

Personally, I have not needed the limit to stop me drinking and driving. All I needed was to watch some of the graphic ad campaigns and a smidgen of common sense.
  • Options
    jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There will still be a limit.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    No drink and drive, is what it should be and should have always been.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    What a duff idea. Something that's not been a problem since we had a limit in 1967 and has worked, now needs to change so that something that's been quite legal for 47 years is now illegal and will result in hardship and more.

Catch the drunks, not those who find that a sensible limit works for all parties. That's the reason the current is low enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    What a duff idea. Something that's not been a problem since we had a limit in 1967 and has worked, now needs to change so that something that's been quite legal for 47 years is now illegal and will result in hardship and more.

Catch the drunks, not those who find that a sensible limit works for all parties. That's the reason the current is low enough.

What hardship? Wtf are you on about?
  • Options
    Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    What hardship? Wtf are you on about?

The increase in banned the next day cases.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keith_13 wrote: »
    The increase in banned the next day cases.

Well they are over the limit and therefore not safe to drive. Tough.
  • Options
    Forum Member

What hardship are you on about. What hardship is caused by this, unless you mean people not be allowed to drink and drive which i dont count or see as any hardship. And saying there is a problem with people still being over the limit the next morning and driving i would say there is a problem. The number of ‘morning-after’ motorists caught over the drink-drive limit the day after a night out on the tiles is increasing.

Arrests between 6am and 8am for drink-driving following a heavy night rose by nearly 4 per cent last year, according to police figures.

Many motorists do not realise they are still at risk of being over the limit even after hours of sleeping it off.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2514724/Jump-drink-drivers-caught-limit-morning-after.html#ixzz3H47wAcKj
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem probably got worse when opening hours were extended, meaning many drinking till the early hours. Well no sympathy here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To those struggling to grasp hardship, it's being banned and potentially losing your job etc for doing something that's been perfectly legal for 47 years but now due to the sanctimonious preaching manner that seems to so prevalent these days that same action now warrants severe punishment.

Like I said, catch the drunk drivers, not those who've had a little bit but are now deemed to be too dangerous.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so 2 sniffs of a winegum and its hand over your license time north of the border? if we wanted to save lives it would be better to ensure people had a good nights sleep more than if someone had a single glass of wine 5 hours ago as i'm sure tiredness pays much more in the causes of accidents than someone who's had a nice meal washed down with a glass of wine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To those struggling to grasp hardship, it's being banned and potentially losing your job etc for doing something that's been perfectly legal for 47 years but now due to the sanctimonious preaching manner that seems to so prevalent these days that same action now warrants severe punishment.

Like I said, catch the drunk drivers, not those who've had a little bit but are now deemed to be too dangerous.

Everything changes over time, and if this safes just one life it will be worth it. How can you get banned if you DONT have a drink and then drive. I would not say that its hardship not be able to have a drink, Dont forget when mobile phones came out it was leagal to use them and drive now it is not. And if you go back 47 years health and safety laws and rules in the work place did not excit and cost thousands of lives and millions of injuries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know how many accidents are caused by people with between 50mg to 80 mg of alcohol in their bloodstream at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how many accidents are caused by people with between 50mg to 80 mg of alcohol in their bloodstream at the moment.

Less than people going between 50 and 80 mph I would wager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jclock66 wrote: »

Drink-drive deaths show 26% rise
    Police officer monitoring traffic The number of drink-drive deaths had shown a general trend of declining since 1979

The number of deaths in drink-drive accidents on Britain's roads soared by 26% in 2012, provisional figures show.

A total of 290 people were killed last year, compared with 230 in 2011, the Department for Transport (DfT) said.

It also said 6,680 accidents in 2012 were linked to alcohol consumption.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Idiots will drink and drive no matter what the limit is. There has to be better ways to deal with the problem.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No drinking is the only safe measure. I don't believe in this pint and a half is safe rubbish. Only way to be sure you're legal is to not drink at all if you're gonna be getting behind the wheel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Police officer monitoring traffic The number of drink-drive deaths had shown a general trend of declining since 1979

The number of deaths in drink-drive accidents on Britain's roads soared by 26% in 2012, provisional figures show.

A total of 290 people were killed last year, compared with 230 in 2011, the Department for Transport (DfT) said.

Those were by people over the legal limit, not under it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That doesn't answer the question of how many were caused by drivers above the new limit but below the current limit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...if this safes just one life it will be worth it.
    Sorry. This is where the argument gets silly.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why have i always thought the legal limit was 35 (or there abouts)???
    i'm sure when i watched all those traffic cops programs they always banged on about the limit being in the 30's?
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Everything changes over time, and if this safes just one life it will be worth it. How can you get banned if you DONT have a drink and then drive. I would not say that its hardship not be able to have a drink, Dont forget when mobile phones came out it was leagal to use them and drive now it is not. And if you go back 47 years health and safety laws and rules in the work place did not excit and cost thousands of lives and millions of injuries.

BIB - anyone using this argument for anything deserves to be slapped in the face with a rotting fish.
    Rules and laws should never be altered of made to prevent something happening with the odds of 60000000 to 1.
    Its just ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    why have i always thought the legal limit was 35 (or there abouts)???
    i'm sure when i watched all those traffic cops programs they always banged on about the limit being in the 30's?
    There's alcohol in the blood and alcohol in breath. Different levels that equate to the same thing.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's alcohol in the blood and alcohol in breath. Different levels that equate to the same thing.

ah so 30's for breath test
    and this new limit is being reported as blood test figure.