Will you be wearing a poppy?

miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed PM's and such have started wearing their poppies already. I thought you started wearing them generally in November, or is this year special because it is the WW1 Centenary?

I've also noticed poppy displays have been popping up in shops and such, so I have put on my Royal Legion poppy wrist band as a show of support. I'll also be wearing my paper poppy as and when I can, and may even purchase a poppy brooch to show my support. My family is very "into" the armed forces, and quite a lot of them have served (not me, though) so I am happy to show my support for soldiers, both alive and fallen.

Will you be donning a poppy or poppy related item this year? If not, why not?

Will you be wearing a poppy/poppy related item this year? 376 votes

Yes
58% 220 votes
No
35% 132 votes
Don't care/don't know
6% 24 votes

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    No I won't. I don't want to.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'd rather just donate. I don't need a red poppy to remember those that sacrificed their lives so that we could have freedom.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    No I won't. I don't want to.
    That's fair enough, no judgement here. I don't care if people don't wear them or do, just as I said, my family has military background. :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I wear a poppy lanyard at work.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lest anyone not realise, poppies and the general period of 'Rememberance' is not about 'celebrating' WW2, and in fact is not just about WW2 at all. (Those points usually get cited as reasons why someone isn't going to wear one or even give a damn about it.) It is, as the name suggests, about remembering those who have fought and died in all conflicts and on all sides.

I wear one in a professional capacity, but I don't on personal time.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    Yes I will. but it is a personal choice and it is wrong for people to feel they have to wear one , or even not wear them, as some communities disaprove.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do not wear one, but I do make a donation.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes.

I wear my metal lapel poppy all year round.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy and wear a poppy every year, this year will be no different.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I will. but it is a personal choice and it is wrong for people to feel they have to, or not wear them as some communities disaprove.

Exactly. People shouldn't be forced into wearing one. It should be up to each person if they want to wear one or not.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I'll be wearing two - the usual red poppy plus a purple one to commemorate the animal victims of war.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I give a donation to British Legion as it supports veterans and people damaged by war.

But I wear a white poppy for peace, not a red one.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I used to buy poppies for me and the kids every year but they always fell off within 24 hours, so that's when I started buying wee things from the website each year. We have enamel pin badges and a jute shopper and the lanyard. I usually buy a wee something from Help for Heroes too.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I will, an enamel one on my coat/jacket. I have a direct debit set-up with the Royal British Legion, but if I see a collection box I'll also drop a few notes in.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Most definitely.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. But if I did it would be a white one.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Yes I'll be wearing two - the usual red poppy plus a purple one to commemorate the animal victims of war.
    Aw. I didn't know purple poppies existed for the animal victims of war. Do the British Royal Legion sell them, or do you get them from elsewhere? I'd like to wear one of them, too. :)
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    Lest anyone not realise, poppies and the general period of 'Rememberance' is not about 'celebrating' WW2, and in fact is not just about WW2 at all. (Those points usually get cited as reasons why someone isn't going to wear one or even give a damn about it.) It is, as the name suggests, about remembering those who have fought and died in all conflicts and on all sides.

I wear one in a professional capacity, but I don't on personal time.

Well this is the problem with the poppy. It doesn't have one fixed meaning, it has evolved a multiplicity of meanings, some of which are actively contradictory.

Personally I wear it in large measure in remembrance of my German grandfather who actively served in Flanders over a period of several years during WW1. But others would claim that's a 'misuse' of the emblem.:(
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's the option for "white poppy"?
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Well this is the problem with the poppy. It doesn't have one fixed meaning, it has evolved a multiplicity of meanings, some of which are actively contradictory.

Personally I wear it in large measure in remembrance of my German grandfather who actively fought in Flanders over a period of several years during WW1. But others would claim that's a 'misuse' of the emblem.:(
    I'd say the problem is with people who don't understand the symbolism of the poppy - in the UK, at least - and don't take the time to find out, rather than the poppy itself.

When you say it has contradictory meanings, do you mean across the world? What does it represent in other countries?
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Well this is the problem with the poppy. It doesn't have one fixed meaning, it has a multiplicity of meanings some of which are actively contradictory.

Personally I wear it in large measure in remembrance of my German grandfather who actively fought in Flanders over a period of several years during WW1. But others would claim that's a 'misuse' of the emblem.:(

I don't think that, nor should any sensible person.

I could say I wear it in remembrance of my Great Uncle who died at Passchendaele, or my two Grandfathers who were both injured fighting for their country.

But really, I wear the poppy to remember all who suffered and died in our uniform.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the Royal British Legion will be bringing out their 'Future Soldier' T-shirts this year?

https://twitter.com/PoppyLegion/status/396308596461273088

If that's the way it is going to evolve then count me out.
  • Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    I don't think that, nor should any sensible person.

I could say I wear it in remembrance of my Great Uncle who died at Passchendaele, or my two Grandfathers who were both injured fighting for their country.

But really, I wear the poppy to remember all who suffered and died in our uniform.

Me too ...............I know it gets done to death this time of year but - I do find it moving.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Yes.

I wear my metal lapel poppy all year round.

This, two lanyards to. Other poppy pins as well. Just got another enamel one. Also get the normal paper one.