Applying for student grants

x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going to uni in September & I've just got my final assessment thing through saying what loans I'm entitled to but nothing about grants.

I was under the impression that these came through the same way as loans did, through Student Finance England but there appears to be nothing about them.

I know I'm entitled to them so where do I apply? :confused:

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best thing to do is to ring up your local council who deal with all the funding. They will be able to supply you with the correct forms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Hi there,

What course will you be studying? Grants don't exist anymore for certain courses, merely Maintenance Loans unfortunately. The difference obviously being that loans are re-paid and grants aren't. The Student Finance Centre at the University you will be attending should be able to tell you what funding is available to you (depending on what course you're doing).

Hope this helps :)
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm doing a course called BA Writing Fashion & Culture. The loans calculator for 2009/10 starters said I'd get just over £1k in Maintenance grant as well as my course fees and Maintenance loan.

I'm getting full loan so does this mean if I did get the grant too, that my loan would be reduced? I think its -50p for every pound or something? :confused:

I understand bursaries come from the university itself, do grants too or not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Hmm, I would call the Student Finance Centre or, alternatively, if you want me to have a look at the loan calculator for the Uni concerned (I work in Student Finance) PM me the Uni and I'll have a wee look :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I'm getting full loan so does this mean if I did get the grant too, that my loan would be reduced? I think its -50p for every pound or something? :confused:

I understand bursaries come from the university itself, do grants too or not?

No, your loan will not get reduced. Bursaries come from university but grants come from student finance I think. I get the loan, grants and bursaries.

When I filled out my student finance forms it asked me if I wanted to share the information with the university so they could give me a bursary, so I ticked the box. I'm pretty sure I filled something in for a grant as well...ring up student finance and ask them :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I heard that student finance were not sorting out the grants at the moment as they have a big backlog and just doing the loans for the timebeing
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies earlier, I spoke to student finance earlier and they said for now everyone's been non-income assessed 'cause of the backlog and when they get around to income assessing it then they'll sort out grants then. :D
    Hmm, I would call the Student Finance Centre or, alternatively, if you want me to have a look at the loan calculator for the Uni concerned (I work in Student Finance) PM me the Uni and I'll have a wee look :)

Thanks, I'm presuming you're in the minority of SF employees who actually help people! Every one I've spoken to is completely useless :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies earlier, I spoke to student finance earlier and they said for now everyone's been non-income assessed 'cause of the backlog and when they get around to income assessing it then they'll sort out grants then. :D

Thought I would re open this thread instead of starting a new one. I was told the above today but I have been having problems and can't seem to get a straight answer from them.

They have said they have a backlog so do not know whether my evidence (birth certificate, declaration form and income stuff) has arrived which I understand. However they also couldnt tell me why I have been given 2 customer reference numbers.

So I was wondering if anyone who has applied has a different number on the letters sent them than the one they use to sign online with. I have used the one on my declaration form that it said to after i had applied online i filled it out and sent it off. This number is also on the letters asking for income evidence. However looking on my finance account it says that I should use my sign in number as my customer reference which has confused me. Why give me the other number at all??

The person I spoke to today was no help at all a simple yes or no would do but they just said they didnt know!!