Have you ever met a celebrity unexpectedly?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    catboy71 wrote: »
    Saw Alastair McGowan last year in London . Didn't initially realize who it was , because I just recognised his face from somewhere and thought he was probably an old work mate or something . So I walked over to him waving and grinning like an idiot trying to remember who he was and where I knew him from....then it clicked . I apologised to him and said "Sorry , wrong person" and walked away . He must have thought I was somewhat mentally challenged:o

Hahaha! I saw him too actually, on the tube at King's Cross St. Pancras. I was waiting for the metropolitan line train and his - circle or district - came first, so I was on the platform looking in. I was the same, thinking "Do I know that guy? He looks really familiar..."
  • bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fairyqueen wrote: »
    Kate Adie,BBC chief news correspondant.In a pub in Devon. Lovely friendly lady.

That must have been a rough pub :D

Over the years on my trips to London I've spotted; Roy Kinnear at Waterloo station, Michael Elphick (Boon), Jennifer Saunders, an actress I recognised from Brookside, all walking along streets, and Hugh Laurie standing on the street corner opposite the Queens Theatre, he looked very disheveled.

I also saw James Ellis who played Bert Lynch waaay back in Z Cars, he rushed into the pub, downed a couple of whiskys and nipped back across the lane into the stagedoor
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My mum met Cliff Richard in Tesco once, don't think she said anything to him though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt Willis and David Gest (post-I'm a celebrity) walked past me when I was at Thorpe Park in 2007. I'm not a fan of either but I was pretty shocked. I walked over to where they headed after my friends got off the ride they were on. There was a fairly big crowd around David Gest but Matt Willis, as I discovered a few minutes later, was playing the penalty shootout game. So when he came out I asked for a picture with him. He seemed really nice :)
  • soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met Orlando Bloom a few months' ago when he was visiting his gran in Sherborne, Dorset. Very friendly. I didn't realise it was him and commented, as I was next to him in a queue in a shop, about the bunch of girls who were following him around giggling hysterically. I actually said, "Jesus you'd think Gary Barlow was in the store". He burst out laughing and then I suddenly realised who he was. But it broke the ice and we had a nice natter. A girl in a hairdressers shop ran up to him and said that it was one of the other hairdresser's birthday so he went into the salon, wished her Happy Birthday, gave her a kiss and posed for a pic with her. Lovely chap.

You will often see Valerie Singleton doing her shopping up and down Cheap Street, as she is a Sherborne resident.

My most random encounter has to be bumping into Jeremy Beadle in 2005, on Alcatraz Island of all places!

I used to run a TV rental shop in central London in the 90's, and you would be amazed at some of the people who rented TV's:
    Dicky Attenborough, Tommy Steele, Michael Ball, John Altman(always behind with his rent!!) Peter Sallis(lovely bloke, set up ITV Digital for him, very chatty about Summer Wine and Wallace & Gromit) Hayley Mills.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said hello to David Essex a few years ago when he stood beside me as I was buying a lottery ticket and he was buying 500 cigarettes in my supermarket. I also was beside Peter Barlow of Corrie another day in the checkout queue!

Another person I met and chatted to was the lush Bryan Ferry when we were staying at The Blossoms Hotel in Chester and he was at the front desk at the same time as us and I signed my name in the book underneath his!!! :D
  • Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I met Don King. What an eye opener that was.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Bruce Jones ( Les Battersby) on a train to Leicester. There lots of footie fans on the train who recognised him . He was very pleased to talk and give autographs , and he was in second class.

George Best, well I don't need to say where he was, but the pub was in Paddington.. He was surrounded by a group of drooling girls, and he later went round the pub selling raffle tickets. His language was , to put it mildly very industrial, " A pound an effing ticket"

A few weeks later I found out that he had had a fight in that pub and had not been back since. This would be about 20 years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped into Louis Walsh in heathrow! and also Didier Drogba in HMW in heathrow, I got a pic with him, was pretty chuffed with myself :D
  • CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped (literally) into Chris Tarrant on Marylebone High Street and gave him a glare (can't stand the chap).

Passed Una Stubbs coming out of a shop on Bond Street and we exchanged smiles...
  • DrPepperDrPepper Posts: 2,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best is Dannii Minogue in Abercrombie and Fitch in Boston, USA (Fanuil Hall store - not there now). We chatted for five mins or so, she was very friendly and relaxed about it.

Worked in London shops and theatre so have served loads - also Peter Barlow (Corrie), Joan Collins (bought two jumbo pencils), Elton John - I was ill and grumpy cooling my feet by a fan, Ant & Dec (together), Peter Purves, Heidi Klum, Shirley Bassey, Emma Forbes. Didn't acknowledge any of them in my coolness - things would be different now though, I'd take my chances (although chance of working in a shop again is slim to none).
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walking between Glasgow Central and Queen Street stations a couple of years back, me and my mum saw Princess Anne get out of a posh car and go into a posh shop. She had a few bodyguards with her of course, who stopped people from going past until she was in the shop :D
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vernon Kay looming over me in the pickles aisle in Waitrose :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vernon Kay looming over me in the pickles aisle in Waitrose :D

That's not a euphamism is it?! You never know with Vernon's recent past!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I met Abi Titmus in Liverpool airport, she was lovely.

My Dad went to Poland and hung round with Tom O'Connor!

When we were younger my family stayed in Blackpool, and I went to bed, mum and dad having a drink, and cast from Emmerdale, Corrie and Hollyoaks came in to the bar
  • Shinny04Shinny04 Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Man, you lot have met some really interesting celebs, all I've ever seen are ex-Eastenders! I've seen (and I apologise for not knowing their names) Danny Moon in King's Cross Station, one of the Ferrera brothers in Leicester Square, and Ruth Fowler walking a bunch of kids to a birthday party. She stopped to let my mum take a picture of her and the kids, but she wasn't the most pleasant person to meet.

My brother met Jimmy Carr in Euston Station a couple of years ago, and even though he was in a hurry he stopped to speak to them, something about "be careful about girls" or thereabouts.
  • shuddupfluffyshuddupfluffy Posts: 3,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to babysit for a cricketer who played for Nottinghamshire. It was a regular thing and the next time would be fixed up before I left the previous time.

One night I got there and his wife opened the door andasked me if I minded that there would be two more children, as they'd forgotton to tell me they had friends to stay. I didn't mind and walked in the house.

As I walked in the living room, I was introduced to 'Richard', his wife and two kids, just before I was jumped on by my two usual babysitees.
    I got into a conversation with them about where they were going out to eat and remarked that Richard and his wife were from Australia. I was told it was New Zealand instead, and Richard said it was really nice to be able to get a bit of privacy and normality. I asked him what he did for a living and he told me he had just finished his career as a cricketer. Then the penny dropped (fortunately my brothers were into cricket) - it was Sir Richard Hadley - international cricketer who had just been knighted a few months ago!

I was a bit embarrassed because I hadn't known, but he said it was lovely to have normal conversations!

His kids, however, were horrible and really badly behaved. But after a long evening thinking I'd earned my money (about £20 for a usual 7.30 - 1.30 stint) they got back and Richard paid me because he thought I'd have earned my cash with his two. When I got home I opened the envelope he'd given me and it had £60 in it!

The next day I was at work at the restaurant I used to work in (I was a student at the time) and they all came in for dinner. I impressed all the men by knowing him and getting them all his autograph!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    I've met loads of celebs as I have a friend in the business but the ones I've bumped into accidentally are:

Turk from Scrubs while bowling with my kids in LA. He was with friends in the lane next to us and I was randomly chatting to him having no clue who he was. It wasn't until my daughter started nudging me that I actually looked properly at who I was talking to. Really nice guy and happily had his picture taken with my kids.

John Voight - Same trip to LA. He was having lunch at the same place as us in Beverly Hills. He came over to chat with us as he knows my friend. Nice guy. He was working on 24 at the time

Brian Wilson from the Beach Boys - Again same trip to LA. Sadly the years (and the drugs) haven't been kind to him. The only thing he said to me was 'Does Mayonnaise have sugar in it?'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,400
    Forum Member
    I was sat next to the actor who played George Roper in George & Mildred on the train to Lytham a little while ago.

Been sat next to Frank Carson on the train.

:)
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Years ago was crossing Kentish Town High Road during my lunch break, sharing the crossing with a man I thought I recognised, double took, thinking he was my local butcher and was about to say hello, got a very pained, 'oh please don't look at me' glare from him, then the penny dropped it Steve McFadden. Coincidentally, on the same day, was wandering back to the office and again saw someone I thought I knew, double took, got pretty much the same look before I realised it was Mick Jones (The Clash, BAD).

Quiet a few years ago, again sat in a pub mid afternoon and suddenly realised the extremely drunk man who the bar manager was helping put on his coat and guide out the door was in fact John Hurt. Mr Hurt was very wasted (but a happy smilely drunk), seem to remember he just wandered across the road and went to sit in a shop doorway.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    you're being way too blase about meeting the swooney that is clooney :D

I've already posted about it on another thread but clooney and pitt asked me for directions near berkley square and robbie got out of his car and entered the building where I work and smiled and winked. Forgot another notable though and that is Jude Law (and Sadie F) a few years back in a hotel in one of the most obscure spots in the world! Very strange.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I used to work I served Pam St Clement (Pat from Eastenders), who seemed okay. I've met Gaz from Supergrass who is a nice guy.

I actually met and spoke with Corey Feldman a couple of years back, I think he said he was doing some sort of convention signing. He seemed pretty pleasant, although I was trying not to gawp at his wife/gf who was beside him.....she was stunning, i hear she is/was a playboy model.

The nicest guy who i met is 'George A Romero' a real gentlemen. If you're a fan of horror movies this guy is an icon......although i think most people don't really know who he is. So he is famous in certain areas.

My friend blows me out of the water though he met Tilda Swinton and Martin Scorsese in Cannes last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I saw Leo Sayer once years ago in WH Smiths in Durham with a burly bodyguard.Not that he needed one because know one
    else realised who he was!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I literally bumped into Nigel Benn in Ayia Napa in 1998. He was doing a dj set at a local club.

I also saw Gordon Brown & Neil Kinnock at London Zoo in 2007. GB was particularly friendly and made the effort to speak to my son.
  • MirelaMirela Posts: 1,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I should mention that a few years ago I was in the Royal Mile in Edinburgh with my mum, sister and niece. It was during the Festival and we walked past Paul Daniels who was talking to some other members of the public - he was a lot shorter than I am, and I'm 5' 6" (which isn't that tall!) :D