What would happen if the sun just stopped?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
How long would it take life on earth to cease as we descended into the darkness and gnawing freezing cold temperatures of space (already feels like it now in some parts of the UK)?

Could death be instant or would life on earth actually take some time to wear down, how would the atmosphere dissipate and how quickly would the oceans react?

Comments

• Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to say really. If you had a chance to prepare a small city underground you could have a small bunch of survivors e.g. nuclear reactors powering large scale photosynthesis operation with UV lights etc. However, you'd also have to quickly figure out something like nuclear fusion, because your fuel wouldn't last forever.

In reality though, I think you're talking a matter of days at best for normal people. Gravity would keep our atmosphere in place for a bit, but without sunlight and photosynthesis, we'd all freeze and suffocate. I'd imagine all the carbon dioxide would freeze eventually, forming an frozen layer covering the globe.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    you're talking a matter of days at best for normal people. Gravity would keep our atmosphere in place for a bit, but without sunlight and photosynthesis, we'd all freeze and suffocate. I'd imagine all the carbon dioxide would freeze eventually, forming an frozen layer covering the globe.

But don't worry though, the sun won't just stop like that - It'll explode first :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _ben wrote: »
    But don't worry though, the sun won't just stop like that - It'll explode first :D

Yes, but we're talking about it simply going out here!

Actually, looking around the internet, many people take the view that we'd last quite a long time if we adapted quickly, utilising heat from the Earth, lava vents, geothermal vents and such like.

I think it'd definitely require living underground though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scousers would be a lot happier, and Page 3 would probably move to The Independent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Life on earth would be exsant..
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member

I know, I was just trying to add a bit of levity to an otherwise rather gloomy subject.
    Actually, looking around the internet, many people take the view that we'd last quite a long time if we adapted quickly, utilising heat from the Earth, lava vents, geothermal vents and such like.

Where's Lebit Opik when you need him. When they were in opposition that's exactly the sort of thing that'd get him campaigning. Now they're in government he'd probably claim to have more important priorities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Continuing to read, Iceland might be a good place to head to, as they get something like 87% of their energy from geothermal sources, which would last a long long time. There'd have to be population restrictions though.
  • frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't explode, it just gets a lot bigger before shrinking. Whether it swallows up the Earth in the process or not (the nearer planets will be gone) is unimportant anyway. Maybe Earthlings will be out there in other galaxies by then, depending on funding becoming available
    Can't happen, won't happen
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dark Horse wrote: »
    Scousers would be a lot happier, and Page 3 would probably move to The Independent.

That made me lol:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    We'd all end up killing each other. Think of the looting, panic buying, crimes, etc.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long would it take life on earth to cease as we descended into the darkness and gnawing freezing cold temperatures of space (already feels like it now in some parts of the UK)?

Could death be instant or would life on earth actually take some time to wear down, how would the atmosphere dissipate and how quickly would the oceans react?

The Sun would expand and "swallow up" the few/multiple planets closest to it, so, you could say we'd be fried if you like. If we didn't have the Sun's vague warmth (even on a freezing day), I doubt we'd last until the next morning. It would likely be the equivalent of being in a big freezer x5 ..... maybe more. The longer you stay in freezing temperatures for (without enough clothing to keep you warm enough) the more organs in your body start shutting down, starting with those innermost. You'd eventually freeze to death and might even get frostbite on any exposed skin.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D:D with tears...
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it depends on what you mean by "stopped"

1. If it simply froze in its current state (same mass etc but no radiation output) - the earth would notice in about 8 minutes and would over the course of a few days and weeks - freeze to death.

2. If all nuclear reactions stopped suddenly, but the normal laws of physics still applied - then the suns core would no longer be able to support the outer layers due to radiation pressure and the outer layers would collapse inwards under gravity. The heat generated by the infalling material would probably cause a rebound effect blowing the sun appart and frying the earth. It would probably be something similar to a core collapse supernova.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    It'd go dark, assuming it happened during the day.
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,865
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    We'd all end up killing each other. Think of the looting, panic buying, crimes, etc.

Oh yes it's bad enough when it snows the panic buying that goes on. I remember the other week a bloke on the local news declaring in dramatic tones that if bread and milk wasn't delivered to the village shop "the children would die."
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    As Moony says in point (2)
    If it just stopped working - so to speak - It would implode pretty much straight away. Earth would be annihilated as soon as the shockwave hit us.
  • MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a short story about such a thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Pail_of_Air
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would i do with all theses tomatoe plants..:p
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's Lebit Opik when you need him. When they were in opposition that's exactly the sort of thing that'd get him campaigning. Now they're in government he'd probably claim to have more important priorities.

something along the lines of not being an MP any more..?
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "What would happen if the sun just stopped?"

Even longer delays by Amerzon?
  • dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Heathrow and Eurostar would have problems straight away.More feeble excuses from them I suppose.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I think it'd definitely require living underground though.

According to what I have read in the past, we'd last just five days, even if we had access to all of Earth's resources immediately.

If the Sun suddenly goes out, it's game over.
  • DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could umbrella ourselves in a dome of CO2 because the sun has no effect on global temperatures.
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frangipane wrote: »
    It won't explode, it just gets a lot bigger before shrinking. Whether it swallows up the Earth in the process or not (the nearer planets will be gone) is unimportant anyway. Maybe Earthlings will be out there in other galaxies by then, depending on funding becoming available
    Can't happen, won't happen

Klingons made it happen with a trilithium cobalt torpedo.