So with winter cooling in the northern hemisphere should the UK be better prepared

2»

Comments

• BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a bloody heat wave in October last year!
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update: the severe frost overnight has cooled my little robins ardour! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    It must have been bad last night got up this morning the house was bloody freezing temp 15 degrees C lowest it's ever been before today is 18 C.

Where's global warming when you need it.:(
  • TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the UK is more than prepared for snowy weather. It seems to be just London and the South that can't get its act together when a few cms of snow comes down.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think it has been less cold this winter :eek: It's cold now (about -3). Hardly abnormal for January.

Back in my school days, it was unusual if we didn't get a load of snow before Christmas. Now it's abnormal the second it gets a bit nippy. Makes me laugh!

People seem to freak out over everything these days and have to blame something. It's called "winter", it gets colder in winter, end of.
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the third cold winter on the trot in the northern hemisphere.....

I dont think this winter has been particularly cold.

If you take station data for say January from one of the stations on this site and plot it out - you can see there is very much an upward trend in minimum temperature.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/stationdata/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not even Spring yet, if you meant last year, they weren't.

Yes I mean last year, it was the coldest summer I can ever remember in the north east, never had to wear a winter jumper in august before. Also friends in the south said they had not know nothing like as cold and wet as it was through summer 2012. We went from spring to winter in 2012, summer and autum were totally missed.

It does make me laugh when peole go on about global warming, problem is finding anyone now who still believes it, those who do keep it to themselves as they dont want to look stupid going on about it when the last few years have been so cold. Its getting harder and harder for the global warmng loons to make a case anymore.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Halfway through January and still no significant snow round here.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I mean last year, it was the coldest summer I can ever remember in the north east, never had to wear a winter jumper in august before. Also friends in the south said they had not know nothing like as cold and wet as it was through summer 2012. We went from spring to winter in 2012, summer and autum were totally missed.

It does make me laugh when peole go on about global warming, problem is finding anyone now who still believes it, those who do keep it to themselves as they dont want to look stupid going on about it when the last few years have been so cold. Its getting harder and harder for the global warmng loons to make a case anymore.

The clue is in the word global. It is quite possible to have overall global warming whilst some places actually get colder due to shifting weather patterns. The British Isles have always been milder than other locations at a similar latitude because of the influence of weather systems coming in from the Atlantic and the gulf stream. If the effect of these weakens, the British Isles could very easily get colder whilst the globe as a whole becomes warmer.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

everybody sane still believes it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    The clue is in the word global. It is quite possible to have overall global warming whilst some places actually get colder due to shifting weather patterns. The British Isles have always been milder than other locations at a similar latitude because of the influence of weather systems coming in from the Atlantic and the gulf stream. If the effect of these weakens, the British Isles could very easily get colder whilst the globe as a whole becomes warmer.

But the last 3 colder than average winters have been put down to solar activity, its not weather patterns so much. Its the increasing larger area of cold air sitting over the northen hempishere that is having an inpact on the UK by blocking the milder wilder moving up from the gulf stream.
    However you look at it the country needs to be bettter prepared for these colder winters we are getting. As a college said, the government cant go on saying things about measures for colder winters whilst it is trying to feed the public with the climate change fairytale.
  • AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it must depend on where in the country you are. We have snow every year, even if its not much. I'd say we're fairly prepared, there's constantly gritters/snowploughs out clearing roads, little ones clearing the pavements and not much disruption on the roads. But I guess if it doesn't snow often then there's no point in councils wasting money on machines, grit etc they'll rarely use.
  • HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the last 3 colder than average winters have been put down to solar activity, its not weather patterns so much. Its the increasing larger area of cold air sitting over the northen hempishere that is having an inpact on the UK by blocking the milder wilder moving up from the gulf stream.
    However you look at it the country needs to be bettter prepared for these colder winters we are getting. As a college said, the government cant go on saying things about measures for colder winters whilst it is trying to feed the public with the climate change fairytale.

According to whom?