Which one is the best Talk Talk or Plusnet?

Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Time to upgrade!

Which one would you recommend talk talk or plusnet?

They both offer free evening & weekend calls & unlimited Broadband and the cost wise;

Plusnet
£4.99 BB for 12 months
£13.99 line rental
£18.98 total (or £15.48 if line rental paid in advance)

Talk Talk (essential)
£3.25
£14.50
£17.75 total (or only £12.75 if line rental paid in advance)

The only problem with plusnet is that they say the customer must obtain & chase the MAC code but with talk talk my understanding is that they do the complete switch without the need of me contacting my ISP.

The only problem with talk talk is their small print that they still traffice manage & slow down peak hours but I have a friend who, whenever I visit her, seems to get constant 15mps out of 16mps she was quoted!

I don't think she does P2p so I guess this helps but how slow is their traffice management for those who use P2P?

It seems to be that today is the last day before half price broadband offer ends with plusnet so I must decide today! please help and convince me one way or other :D

Note: I have other option which is Sky but they don't seem to offer free evening calls as others, so I can't justify paying for something the others offer free.

Comments

• rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you feel lucky go with talk talk. If you think you may have issues and want your ISP to sort them out go with plusnet
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »
    If you feel lucky go with talk talk. If you think you may have issues and want your ISP to sort them out go with plusnet

So far Plusnet have been great with CS.

I've heard so many horror stories about Talk Talk CS.

They are the 'fingers in ears, computer says 'No'' types.
  • darren221980darren221980 Posts: 498
    Forum Member
    I'm with TalkTalk and haven't had any major issues, but the customer care is pretty dire.

However if you do choose TalkTalk then make sure you register on the TalkTalk Members forums as they are good for getting help fromother TalkTalk users and TalkTalk staff.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Talk Talk last time i phoned them had awful accents which made it very difficult to understand a word they said.
  • wearyweary Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I'm with Talk-talk and I would advise you that the 'customer service' is awful to the point of being obstructive.
    In my experience if you have any difficulties and need to contact them their whole attitude is 'the customer is scum, let's find reasons not to assist and really wind up this person who stupidly thinks they are the customer'.
  • Mr DangerousMr Dangerous Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My experience with Talk Talk was okay but in the last 12 months my max speed dropped from 14MB down to 5MB if I was lucky. I even had the phone line checked out and new microfilters but my speed never got better.

Plusnet would be a great choice because they have won awards from WHICH? magazine..
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    The only problem with plusnet is that they say the customer must obtain & chase the MAC code

Correct. And that has been the cause of the only "problem" I have had so far.
    Placed my order with Plusnet, and was given a choice of two activation dates subject to me getting my MAC code from Sky. One was the 11th Feb, the other was the 18th.
    Sky were a little reluctant giving me my code, saying that they would post it out within two days. After five it hadn't arrived so I rang them. They then gave me my code over the phone!
    I immediately rang Plusnet to update them, but unfortunately the five day delay resulted in my activation date being put back nearly four weeks to the 6th March!
    Ho hum! Never mind. I still have Sky clanking and whirring away until the change over so no big issue at the end of the day but still can't understand why a 5 day delay pushed me back nearly 4 weeks!
    What was ironic was the fact that the very next day I received a welcome letter from Plusnet informing me that once I had given them my MAC code, I could expect a seamless changover and be up and running within 5-7 days!
    :D:D:D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Smiffy wrote: »
    Correct. And that has been the cause of the only "problem" I have had so far.
    Placed my order with Plusnet, and was given a choice of two activation dates subject to me getting my MAC code from Sky. One was the 11th Feb, the other was the 18th.
    Sky were a little reluctant giving me my code, saying that they would post it out within two days. After five it hadn't arrived so I rang them. They then gave me my code over the phone!
    I immediately rang Plusnet to update them, but unfortunately the five day delay resulted in my activation date being put back nearly four weeks to the 6th March!
    Ho hum! Never mind. I still have Sky clanking and whirring away until the change over so no big issue at the end of the day but still can't understand why a 5 day delay pushed me back nearly 4 weeks!
    What was ironic was the fact that the very next day I received a welcome letter from Plusnet informing me that once I had given them my MAC code, I could expect a seamless changover and be up and running within 5-7 days!
    :D:D:D

They might have had a cancellation when you first phoned up, and then the 2nd time the cancellation was filled by someone else.

When I signed up with Plus net they gave me the 13th Feb as a date, but my card didn't go through and I had to ring up again, but this time they had had a cancellation and I got my date 2 week earlier.
  • SmiffySmiffy Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    They might have had a cancellation when you first phoned up, and then the 2nd time the cancellation was filled by someone else..

Appreciate what you are saying and I could understand that if it was just the 11th that I had lost, but I had also lost both my AM and PM appointments on the 18th as well!
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problems for me, family and friends on talktalk but I'm told the TT support forum offers very good help if need and will trouble shoot any issues you may have.

I moved from BT, phoned up TT and they did the lot, I never had to contact BT, nor did my daughter and several friends who've migrated over to TT.

If you go to TT look at the 'boosts' options, I pay a few quid more a month for international calls (very useful for me as I've a lot of friends and family scattered world wide) and I have IIRC 1000 minutes a month from my landline to any mobile network, (very useful if you have teenagers in the house), I think that costs £5, you don't pay for local or national calls of up to an hour its inclusive in your contract, so ring off after 59minutes and redial.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I think I can comment here as I have been with both providers, first TalkTalk and now Plusnet. I have never had any real problems with Plusnet because when anything arises they have customer service available on a free phone number. Or you can raise a ticket online if your question is not urgent (billing and such) also is very useful. When you get to customers services which is very quickly you will find a person to take ownership of your query and deal with it immediately.
    TalkTalk was excellent when it worked but heaven help you if you need to go to customer services. All their operatives were polite when i finally got to them but they never seemed to understand what the problem was, or if they did would tell you that unfortunately they were not the ones to deal with it and transfer you. I finally left them when my phone went out and I had to call them on my mobile to the 0870 number they had (2 years ago so maybe better now) I spent £20 getting through to them although they were willing to call back when I finally did get through. But as there were about 10 occasions I had to call I eventually gave up. I transferred to Plusnet with a non working phone and they got it fixed in a few days.
    Plusnet cost a little more than TalkTalk but not much and it is worth it.
    I actually thought to go to them again to get the TV but I am not brave enough..
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I can comment here as I have been with both providers, first TalkTalk and now Plusnet. I have never had any real problems with Plusnet because when anything arises they have customer service available on a free phone number. Or you can raise a ticket online if your question is not urgent (billing and such) also is very useful. When you get to customers services which is very quickly you will find a person to take ownership of your query and deal with it immediately.
    TalkTalk was excellent when it worked but heaven help you if you need to go to customer services. All their operatives were polite when i finally got to them but they never seemed to understand what the problem was, or if they did would tell you that unfortunately they were not the ones to deal with it and transfer you. I finally left them when my phone went out and I had to call them on my mobile to the 0870 number they had (2 years ago so maybe better now) I spent £20 getting through to them although they were willing to call back when I finally did get through. But as there were about 10 occasions I had to call I eventually gave up. I transferred to Plusnet with a non working phone and they got it fixed in a few days.
    Plusnet cost a little more than TalkTalk but not much and it is worth it.

You should have used the Talk Talk forums, that is what I keep hearing around here. the fact that you may have wanted a answer right away or that you may have had no broadband at alll is not a problem, you should have still used the Talk Talk forums. :rolleyes:

TBH, Talk Talk forums are certainly better than phoning them up, i have no idea why mind you.

A mate is on Talk Talk and he been trying to explain to them for weeks about a problem over the phone, so I said to him to try their forums, he came here to use my broadband as his would not stay stable long enough.
    Used the forums, by the time we got back to his place it was sorted. In fact it is better now than it ever been and it is the first time in this city that I have even seen a Talk Talk connection that is pretty decent. They are now getting around the 8Mb/s. It may not sound a lot, but it is flipping good from where they are. I think they only got 3-4 before.

So if they can do that via forums, why not over the phone?

i don't really know about plusnet, another mate of mine using plusnet FTTC is also having problems with very low speeds, he raised a ticket, but I have no idea if they done anything yet as I have not spoken to my mate for the last week.

I actually thought to go to them again to get the TV but I am not brave enough..

Depends if you are interested in what they offer. Talk Talk is one of two ISPs I will stay clear of. Saying that it is now one of three. The others being BT and Sky.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, if you are a bit shy of asking an ISP for the MAC code, it is actually easy enough to find it out for yourself. Use a search engine to find out how to do it.
  • robertcrowtherrobertcrowther Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP, if you are a bit shy of asking an ISP for the MAC code, it is actually easy enough to find it out for yourself. Use a search engine to find out how to do it.

Only the ISP can give you the MAC code. Don't get confused between MAC address and MAC code.