New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Why on earth would you choose a iPad 2 over a retina mini...
    $100 price difference.

Someone please convince me not to buy an iPad Air (WiFi for home) and iPad Mini (cellular for travel) :o
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Educational discount on the iPad Air but not the Mini, strange.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Why on earth would you choose a iPad 2 over a retina mini...

It's very popular in schools
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I predict the iPad Mini will be very short supply, from the rather vague 'later in November' availability. Also will be popular Thanksgiving/Christmas gifts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    It's very popular in schools

The iPad Air is a great buy, the weight reduction to 469g makes it very appealing.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    so is the ipad air really ipad 5
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    so is the ipad air really ipad 5

Yeah just a name change.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    UK prices now up on the Apple UK Store.
    Forum Member
    well its the same price as ipad 4 i was gonna get...is it worth getting the 64 rather than the 32 gb one or doesnt it matter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised about the absence of Touch ID.
    Forum Member
    i have a logitech keyboard so would it fit the ipad air
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No pre-orders this year... You have to wait for the 1st of November before ordering online :confused:

No Touch ID... shame.

Also a pity that they still have 16GB as the base model, instead of shifting from 16/32/64/128 to 32/64/128(/256).

I think the iPad 2 and iPad mini should have been killed, and the iPad mini Retina brought in at a lower price.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is interesting is the iPad Mini Retina is exactly the same resolution as the iPad Air. 326PPI vs. 264PPI respectively.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised about the absence of Touch ID.

Yeah :(

I did read something recently though that said the Touch ID parts were in short supply for the 5S, so perhaps that's why Apple didn't add it to the new iPad as well?

OK, a tablet may not need that kind of security as much as a phone, as you may not have it out with you as much, but there's still justification for having it.

If it's a Bluetooth keyboard, it will work with any iPad.

If not, it won't.
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yeah :(

I did read something recently though that said the Touch ID parts were in short supply for the 5S, so perhaps that's why Apple didn't add it to the new iPad as well?

OK, a tablet may not need that kind of security as much as a phone, but there's still justification for having it.

If it's a Bluetooth keyboard, it will work with any iPad.

If not, it won't.

yes its bluetooth. thanks..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    What is interesting is the iPad Mini Retina is exactly the same resolution as the iPad Air. 326PPI vs. 264PPI respectively.

Yup. I guess it was easier than having yet another resolution to cater for.
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to get the iPad Air 16gb version. Cannot wait :D

I'm going from an iPad 2 so the difference, I suspect, will be huge.

Also fascinating that the iPad Mini is literally now the same iPad Air but smaller. It has everything the Air has.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you mean a keyboard cover then no, it won't fit as the iPad Air is smaller. As said above it will still work if it's a bluetooth keyboard though.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »

I think the iPad 2 and iPad mini should have been killed, and the iPad mini Retina brought in at a lower price.

No no no, £249 for an ipad mini opens apple up to more people after a tablet , it gives them entry models. I think it's a good line up now 4 models to pick from.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another price increase then.

£20 cut on the mini, new mini £50 more than previous mini.
    Forum Member
    so really the ipad 4 should come down in price now .. i notice on apples site they are selling a wi fi version and wi fi + cellular that costs more..does cellular mean the phone network :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I'm going to get the iPad Air 16gb version. Cannot wait :D

I'm going from an iPad 2 so the difference, I suspect, will be huge.

Also fascinating that the iPad Mini is literally now the same iPad Air but smaller. It has everything the Air has.

Only 16GB?

Going from a 2 to an Air will be a huge jump, not just because of the resolution :)
    Roush wrote: »
    If you mean a keyboard cover then no, it won't fit as the iPad Air is smaller. As said above it will still work if it's a bluetooth keyboard though.

Good point! I didn't realise the poster may have meant "fit" as in literally physically fit.
    Quackers wrote: »
    No no no, £249 for an ipad mini opens apple up to more people after a tablet , it gives them entry models. I think it's a good line up now 4 models to pick from.

I see your point, but I think it would have been better if the new one had a lower price instead and the old one didn't exist.
    chopoff wrote: »
    Another price increase then.

£20 cut on the mini, new mini £50 more than previous mini.

Not all have been increased. The iPad Air is at the same price points as the previous full-size iPads.
    so really the ipad 4 should come down in price now

The iPad 4 will cease to exist, just like the iPad 3 did when the iPad 4 came out.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    64GB with 3G/4G for me I think. Been after an iPad since the summer. Glad I waited :)
    Forum Member
    basically what would having 64 gb over 32 mean in user terms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so really the ipad 4 should come down in price now .. i notice on apples site they are selling a wi fi version and wi fi + cellular that costs more..what does cellular mean :confused:

WiFi + Cellular = WiFi + 3G/4G.

The "Cellular" models require a contract or PAYG data plan with a mobile phone network. This adds even more cost on top of the increased cost of the tablet itself. It is of course very handy for when you don't have WiFi, but it costs more...

Do you have a smartphone at all? If I want to use my WiFi-only iPad online in an area where there is no WiFi available I just "tether" it to my iPhone so that it can use my iPhone's 3G connection.