BBC Two Arthur Ashe: More Than a Champion

Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
Forum Member
Just aired on BBC Two, as Arthur will probably get a couple of programs on BBC TV and Radio.

2015 marks the 40th anniversary of tennis legend Arthur Ashe lifting the Wimbledon men's singles title. From boyhood in segregated America to becoming one of the world's opinion-formers, Ashe's story is told poignantly by his brother Johnnie, along with friends Stan Smith, Donald Dell and rivals like Ilie Nastase.

Arthur Ashe: More Than a Champion is far more than just a story of how a man conquered the world of tennis. His life spans America's Civil Rights struggle, the ending of South Africa's system of apartheid and Arthur's creating an awareness of the disease that would eventually kill him - AIDS.

Serena Williams, Martina Navratilova, John McEnroe and Andy Murray all explain Arthur's legacy and their own personal debt to the man. It is not surprising that when Nelson Mandela was finally released from prison, one of the first people he asked to meet was Arthur Ashe.

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The circumstances and cause of his death were truly tragic.
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A superb tennis player but more importantly, a fine man.

I'd recommend his autobiography, Days of Grace.

Back in 1992, when I was at the US Open, shortly before I became a tennis coach, I was on a seat at the back of the Flushing Meadow complex taking a break from the fierce heat. Ashe walked close by and it has always been a regret that I didn't go up to him, say hello and shake his hand.

However, some stars exude the impression of approachability and although Ashe was a kind and friendly man, he was also very private. At that momnet in the NY heat, he looked deep in thought and in the split second it took for me to decide whether or not to go over, I decided against it.

I thought the film was very good but way too short.

I reckon it would have been better as a 90 minute (at least) film on BBC4.

I don't think those of us who weren't living in the 60's in the South can have a clue as to what someone like Ashe went through as he tried to get established in a world of tennis which was dominated by whites only tennis clubs where people like Arthur were not welcome.

In a way, looking back at the clips of his defeat of Connors at Wimbledon in 1975, it was more than just a tennis match won as the title of the documentary suggests.

Well done Arthur and RIP.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Contemporary contribution from Connors noticeable by its complete absence.

Not used to seeing Serena almost humble. Might have to have a lie down to recover from the shock.

Has Martina had a SHITLOAD of work done on her face?

Ashe was quite a man.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Contemporary contribution from Connors noticeable by its complete absence.

Not used to seeing Serena almost humble. Might have to have a lie down to recover from the shock.

Has Martina had a SHITLOAD of work done on her face?

Ashe was quite a man.

Although he once said, 'Beware the fury of the patient man'.

Also, in the film, he made reference to the rage beneath the surface.

Don't think he was very calm or happy when he walked off the court in Stockholm when Nastase was playing up.

PS Yes, age and ageing comes to us all. Thought Chrissie looked very worn but Martina looked like she was made up for some theatrical appearance!
  • Boz_LowdownlBoz_Lowdownl Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was so happy in 1975 when Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon. But I couldn't bring myself to watch this programme as his passing was so tragic and upsetting.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Bugger, forgot the links.

BBC Two Arthur Ashe

On Radio 28th, BBC World Service Sports world: Arthur Ashe More than a Champion.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur's passing remains very vivid in my mind. His announcement in that news conference is still in my mind from when I originally watched it. He was dead less than a year later aged 49.

It was so sad, and remains so to this day.

I found the documentary quite moving, yet at the same time I also found it uplifting in parts.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Arthur's passing remains very vivid in my mind. His announcement in that news conference is still in my mind from when I originally watched it. He was dead less than a year later aged 49.

It was so sad, and remains so to this day.

I found the documentary quite moving, yet at the same time I also found it uplifting in parts.

Odd how 'you' had nothing to say on camera though.
    Bet you were asked to appear too, if only to talk about the match.

I'm not into Tennis so was only interested in the story of his life, similarly moving and uplifting response here, hence why I posted the thread after it had aired
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Life' can be so unfair sometimes....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    'Life' can be so unfair sometimes....

Indeed, but your genes decide your longevity.

Arthur might well have succumbed to his family's apalling heart disease history earlier than the fateful blood transfusion. In many respects, even for a world class athlete, he was lucky to get to 50.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Although he once said, 'Beware the fury of the patient man'.

Also, in the film, he made reference to the rage beneath the surface.

Don't think he was very calm or happy when he walked off the court in Stockholm when Nastase was playing up.

PS Yes, age and ageing comes to us all. Thought Chrissie looked very worn but Martina looked like she was made up for some theatrical appearance!
    I

I think you are being rather unfair to Chrissie, she looked what she is, a woman in her 50s/60s and not botoxed up to the nth degree. Slightly biased though as she is my all time favourite along with Martina who looks to have had a lot of work done.

As others have said amazing to see Serena almost humble, bet she had to have a lie down after!

I wish the documentary had been longer, it seemed to skim the surface somewhat, hne certainly was a brilliant player and a good person
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Odd how 'you' had nothing to say on camera though.
    Bet you were asked to appear too, if only to talk about the match.

I'm not into Tennis so was only interested in the story of his life, similarly moving and uplifting response here, hence why I posted the thread after it had aired

Yeah very surprised JC was not involved in the documentary. From what I have read, they actually despised each other. I can only assume that feeling (on way at least) remains to this day.

JC is a very angry man. I get the impression he doesn't forget either. His recent autobiography was very scathing toward his former lover (Chris Evert) so former players have no chance.
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was so happy in 1975 when Arthur Ashe won Wimbledon. But I couldn't bring myself to watch this programme as his passing was so tragic and upsetting.

You made a good call, I was blubbing and snotting a good'un. Powerful documentary.
  • The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Watched this due to this thread and very glad I did.

As others have said it was very emotional.

He was a very inspiring guy.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agreed with the interviewee who said that Ashe would have been a great politician if he hadn't died so young. The similarities to Obama are so striking in both their character and the tone and content of their speech.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat1966 wrote: »
    I

I think you are being rather unfair to Chrissie, she looked what she is, a woman in her 50s/60s and not botoxed up to the nth degree. Slightly biased though as she is my all time favourite along with Martina who looks to have had a lot of work done.

As others have said amazing to see Serena almost humble, bet she had to have a lie down after!

I wish the documentary had been longer, it seemed to skim the surface somewhat, hne certainly was a brilliant player and a good person

Agreed on all points including the comments about Chrissie.

While a tennis coach, I met both briefly (mid 2000's) and both looked great. Martina was very friendly but Chrissie seemed in a bad move as I helped her and her minder find a court where she was doing a short TV clip to camera about how to hit groundstrokes.

I was trying to qualify my comment with a touch of empathy by talking about the ageing process, a point reinforced personally when yesterday, I attended an annual school reunion where we all seemed to only discuss our ailing bodies, joints and organs as our 60th year approached!.

I'd rather talk about their tennis anyway like the 2 fantastic French Open Finals between Chrissie and Martina in 1985 and 1986 - marvellous matches from 2 great champions.

Kat, if you are a Chrissie fan, go onto Youtube and type in Lipton 1986 and some super footage will come up between her and Graf.
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tennisman wrote: »
    Agreed on all points including the comments about Chrissie.

While a tennis coach, I met both briefly (mid 2000's) and both looked great. Martina was very friendly but Chrissie seemed in a bad move as I helped her and her minder find a court where she was doing a short TV clip to camera about how to hit groundstrokes.

I was trying to qualify my comment with a touch of empathy by talking about the ageing process, a point reinforced personally when yesterday, I attended an annual school reunion where we all seemed to only discuss our ailing bodies, joints and organs as our 60th year approached!.

I'd rather talk about their tennis anyway like the 2 fantastic French Open Finals between Chrissie and Martina in 1985 and 1986 - marvellous matches from 2 great champions.

Kat, if you are a Chrissie fan, go onto Youtube and type in Lipton 1986 and some super footage will come up between her and Graf.

Thank you for that, I will do.
    I was lucky to see. Martina 0laying on Court no 1 at Wimbledon back In 1979, an incredible player. It was such a good time for tennis back then, still find it enjoyable even though I don't play now! Aches and pains of a sporty youth are catching up these days!
  • kitchenpersonkitchenperson Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    The documentary is being repeated this Friday evening on BBC2 at 11:35.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have it set to record! Whenever I hear of Arthur Ashe I always think of OFAH
    Rodney: It's Arthur's Ashes!

Del: Arthur's Ashes? That's the black bloke who won Wimbledon innit?
    Brilliant