Police to investigate Trolls.

2»

Comments

• HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I didn;t make my point clear above, reading that back. As what I was on about was - defining 'troll' seems fairly straightforward to most of us here, assuming a few years' worth of interweb savvy and being around various forums.

But the wider world's definition of 'troll' may be a bit shaky as the thing I was thinking of was a person who came here and accused (and named on an external website) a whole slew of DS's most established and fairly standard posters as 'bullies' and 'trolls'. Simply because they expressed an outrageously non sane idea that we happened to disagree with and maybe sensibly but not too cruelly, deride. Someone who would even want to - or just threaten - going to the police due to 'trolls' probably has a rather naive/unweb-savvy definition of 'troll' in their head.

As Flickety says, online harrassment that strays into IRL is a different matter, but that's already a criminal issue. But there are some naive people/silver surfers/nutjobs out there who'd define 'troll' as 'anyone who disagrees with me' - as we saw on here. And they'd waste police time and threaten innocent FMs, across the interwebz. It's a stupid idea. If someone is committing real life harrassment, there are already laws to cover that. But can we trust the legal system to define 'troll' when it is made up of the same old farts who'd accuse anyone they disapprove of, of trollery?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course they have, but this probably relates to this story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-14239702

Many cowardly individuals think it is okay to do what they like online, thinking they cant be traced. Some of the comments reported about this story are disgusting, and if a person were to make such comments in any other way, they'd be in trouble, so why not online?

Here's another one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-14162669

Actually I'm not sure I'd call these cases "trolling". Seems to be a bit of an understatement when you think of the distress caused.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Of course they have, but this probably relates to this story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-14239702

Many cowardly individuals think it is okay to do what they like online, thinking they cant be traced. Some of the comments reported about this story are disgusting, and if a person were to make such comments in any other way, they'd be in trouble, so why not online?

...in using online forums one has options....this girl chose not to put those options into practise...you can't take the heat then stay the fook away from the fire
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...in using online forums one has options....this girl chose not to put those options into practise...you can't take the heat then stay the fook away from the fire

One has options in all aspects of life. Forums etc do not give an exemption to the laws that apply elsewhere, although many believe they do, and behave in ways they would not dare to normally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's another one:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-14162669

Actually I'm not sure I'd call these cases "trolling". Seems to be a bit of an understatement when you think of the distress caused.

I agree. The media are using the term, but in reality, it is not the right one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    One has options in all aspects of life. Forums etc do not give an exemption to the laws that apply elsewhere, although many believe they do, and behave in ways they would not dare to normally.

....it does,however,have one convenience not afforded actuality....an on off/log out button...shite will always float to the top...doesn't mean you're compelled to bathe in it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ....it does,however,have one convenience not afforded actuality....an on off/log out button...shite will always float to the top...doesn't mean you're compelled to bathe in it

The options to not do something are there in the real world too.

The internet makes it easy to be a disgusting cowardly yob without getting off the backside, and with the chance no one will do anything about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,664
    Forum Member
    trolling is part of the net, its part and parcel of being online, you will always get trolls, some forums pay people to troll to get more traffic (i cant remember which now) all forums have them, twitter has them, news sites have them, blogs have them.
    you get rid of trolls only one way and shutting down the internet, just aint gonna happen.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about the trolling aspect, I think I wouldn't recognise a troll if it bit me on the arse. Still not sure what trolling is because when I've seen people accused of being a troll it doesn't make sense.

As for the nasty comments posted in the linked news stories.
    Well what do people expect?
    All the social network sites are used as if people are having conversations in real life. And in real life people have arguments and call each other horrible names and wish horrible things on each other. Especially teenagers.
    Now we are going to start saying that "yeah facebook ect. are a substitute for face to face interaction but not really".
    The only difference as far as I can see is that because it's recorded online there's a huge fuss made about it.

Since when did teeenagers not bitch about each other and argue and gang up and bully and fall out and call each other slags ect.?
    It's a part of life, a part of growing up, some can't cope.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Have anyone mentioned that there's an 'off' button on PCs, yet?
    Really ?
    I have only been able to find the 'Start' button ever since W98
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Confusing wrote: »
    There are way too many new members recently which join and straight away start baiting people.

Something definitely needs to be done before the place becomes overrun with them, and eventually declines until its no longer popular enough to stay open.

Maybe its because they removed the 5 pound fee.

Oi, I'm a new member and I most certainly dont have a bridge!:p
  • SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trolls be afraid.... be very afraid.... the boys in blue are coming for you.:D

Bad trolls Bad Trolls what you gonna do, what you gonna do when they come for you? :eek::D:p

I am sure they are on about those who break the law.

Do you break the law?:D:)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    The troll quality on DS has seriously taken a nosedive over the last couple of years..

Well done. Crikey, some people on here are such delicate flowers. I love a good windup merchant who can rile without being offensive to anyone with moderately robust social skills.

Note: A troll is not the equivalent of someone 'who gave you evils' at skool.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    radio 5 live, from about 24.25 minutes in
    When I joined teh interweb trolling was a noble activity. These people are besmirching its good name! We only did a bit of good old-fashioned wind-up back in the day. When did its name get taken over by this nasty weirdo stuff like telling suicidal people to "jump" and setting up stalking websites?