Cheryl Cole - Target On Social Networks

occyoccy Posts: 65,136
Forum Member
✭✭
GEORDIE singer Cheryl Cole says she has been targeted by online bullies.

The 29-year-old said she had been subjected to vicious attacks, on Twitter and Facebook, for more than a year.

Cheryl spoke about the cyber bullies as she told Grazia magazine she could relate to the teenagers helped by her charity, The Cheryl Cole Foundation.

“I get what these kids have gone through because I had a tough upbringing and I understand what it feels like to get bullied, like some of them,” she said of growing up on a tough Newcastle council estate.

The former X Factor judge added: “In the last few years, I’ve been bullied on Facebook and Twitter. It’s evil and very public.

“People judge my appearance and hair, and say that I look fat.”

Speaking while meeting some of the teenagers that her Foundation has worked with, she told the magazine: “I want to help these young people because I know how it feels to come out on the other side and be someone who achieves.”

Earlier this week, TV couple Eamonn Holmes and Ruth Langsford said they have been the targets of internet trolls, while in March, former Blue Peter presenter Richard Bacon said he has been subjected to online abuse.

The Cheryl Cole Foundation helps The Prince’s Trust work with young people in the North East.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/lifestyle/entertainment/music/cheryl-cole-bullied-on-twitter-and-facebook-1-4725575

Babe if your getting abused or targeted. DON'T DO IT...Simple answer??

Comments

• Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats what I don't get.. If someone tweets you abuse BLOCK THEM .. Same for Facebook.
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She obviously does not read these forums because it happens here as well

Maybe the same people
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    my heart bleeds, she can more than dish it out but she can't take it.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »

Sadly, I think every celeb gets abuse on twitter/FB. It's not right, especially if it's so personal, but unfortunately it's the downside of being famous and being on a social network.

People (both fans and non-fans) can talk to them. I know there's a lot of positives to celebs being on twitter, but another part of me wonders why celebs bother with it.

And also, why do celebs seem to read the abuse anyway? I don't use twitter (I may be the only one :D )- can you screen the comments in some way? :confused: do people directly send celebs messages?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl so why don't you just hit them - isn't that your usual MO?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She makes it sound like she's the only celebrity to get abuse etc etc....All celebrities are going to get abuse, she chose to put herself out there, so she shouldn't really be acting so attacked, it's the nature of her job.

There are some celebrities that are subjected to far far worse such as death threats etc, and they don't act like this. People are going to judge her, so she should have been prepared for that as every celebrity should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly every celeb gets good and bad messages on social networks
    I don't see no harm I'm voicing your opinion lightly but those trolls who take it too far and go personal with death threat to the person quite pathetic really.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    its always been like this

"celebrity's" have always been targeted by the nutters

in the old days they used to send letters to there agent etc but usually had no direct access

now the technology means they now have direct access

its part of the game

i'm surprised they actually manage there own account

i would have thought they would have a public one and i private one for there

real friends etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a surprise that two of her most fervent abusers pass comment - guilty conscience?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She makes it sound like she's the only celebrity to get abuse etc etc....All celebrities are going to get abuse, she chose to put herself out there, so she shouldn't really be acting so attacked, it's the nature of her job.

There are some celebrities that are subjected to far far worse such as death threats etc, and they don't act like this. People are going to judge her, so she should have been prepared for that as every celebrity should.

No she doesn't, many celebs have spoken out about cyber bullying - someone has chosen to start a thread about Cheryl speaking out, that's all :confused:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she doesn't, many celebs have spoken out about cyber bullying - someone has chosen to start a thread about Cheryl speaking out, that's all :confused:

Sorry but the whole 'statement' she made came across as faux empathy for those who have suffered actual abuse. All she mentioned were comments about her looks, which are a direct result of a position she put herself in, that comes with the territory and her job. It would have been a different story if she was referencing death threats or remarks about her family etc, the remarks she was talking about seemed like a common occurrence any celebrity goes through.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sorry but the whole 'statement' she made came across as faux empathy for those who have suffered actual abuse. All she mentioned were comments about her looks, which are a direct result of a position she put herself in, that comes with the territory and her job. It would have been a different story if she was referencing death threats or remarks about her family etc, the remarks she was talking about seemed like a common occurrence any celebrity goes through.

Well you would see it as faux empathy, you're not one of her fans are you?

She's making a direct reference to herself to show other victims of cyber bullying that anyone can be a target - that's all.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Madeley and Eamonn Holmes have all been targeted. I saw a nasty tweet sent to Pat Sharp once and he said thanks / goodbye. They are celebrities and will get targeted, like they get their faces in the papers and magazines. Some are not all abusive, just people voicing their opinion it depends how you take it.

This has been going on for years, but lots of other ways people have to target these celebs. If they don't like just hide away, but a lot get a kick out of it. A lot of news correspondents have been recommended to sign up on Twitter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Richard Madeley and Eamonn Holmes have all been targeted. I saw a nasty tweet sent to Pat Sharp once and he said thanks / goodbye. They are celebrities and will get targeted, like they get their faces in the papers and magazines. Some are not all abusive, just people voicing their opinion it depends how you take it.

This has been going on for years, but lots of other ways people have to target these celebs. If they don't like just hide away, but a lot get a kick out of it. A lot of news correspondents have been recommended to sign up on Twitter.

I follow John Hartson on Twitter, some of the abuse he receives is evil. References to his fight with cancer, hoping he dies etc - it's disgusting.

People behind their keyboards spouting abuse and various threats are pathetic losers - they need help.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that these verbal abusers are jealous lasses who aren't as bonny as Cheryl. Jealousy can develop into pure nastiness and cruelty when safety for the abusers is guaranteed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that these verbal abusers are jealous lasses who aren't as bonny as Cheryl. Jealousy can develop into pure nastiness and cruelty when safety for the abusers is guaranteed.

Jealousy might not be the only reason and the abusers might not be all female.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't put it down to jealousy - internet trolls don't need to have a reason, they're just sick in the head.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Sadly, I think every celeb gets abuse on twitter/FB. It's not right, especially if it's so personal, but unfortunately it's the downside of being famous and being on a social network.

People (both fans and non-fans) can talk to them. I know there's a lot of positives to celebs being on twitter, but another part of me wonders why celebs bother with it.

And also, why do celebs seem to read the abuse anyway? I don't use twitter (I may be the only one :D )- can you screen the comments in some way? :confused: do people directly send celebs messages?

I agree, I hate these two abominable sites Twitter and Facebook because they are the reason for this new sinister cyber abuse and bullying and will have nothing to do with them. I

I think its absolutely crazy that celebs of all kinds whether in showbiz or sport allow any nutcase to send tweets to their mobiles . Then again I heard that some companies made it a condition when they sign them up, that they the celebs must tweet and allow anyone to tweet them. In other worlds they must sell their souls to the devil and suffer the consequences. Crazy, crazy world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    granted08 wrote: »
    Jealousy might not be the only reason and the abusers might not be all female.

They might not be, but I'd say they are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't put it down to jealousy - internet trolls don't need to have a reason, they're just sick in the head.

You're definitely right in quite a few cases, but I think it is in this case.
  • ClakerClaker Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Cheryl Cole is being bullied on Facebook and twitter, I call it feedback.
  • LilaethLilaeth Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a particular reason she's talking about this? Was it part of an interview or something? Kind of odd to just burst out with this unprompted!
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on bullies in nightclub toilets.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toy dogs, eating disorders, sex addiction, psychotherapy, cyber bullying just one in a long line of "celeb fashions"...

... quite pathetic really. :rolleyes:
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on bullies in nightclub toilets.

Nor was Cheryl