Options

Text very small..........

evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi hope someone can help. For some reason the text on websites has gone very small, making sites such as this one almost impossible to read. Any ideas on how to get the font/text back to normal ?

I had the opposite problem a few weeks ago with the text appearing huge. can't make out why this keeps happening.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks
eve

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Press: CTRL + Zero
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evie71 wrote: »
    I had the opposite problem a few weeks ago with the text appearing huge. can't make out why this keeps happening.
    Do you by any chance have a laptop? If so it could be the touchpad. I get it randomly happening on my HP laptop.

The touchpad has a multi-finger mode where depending on how many fingers it thinks you are using and what you do with them (:eek:) it does various things. For example using two fingers scrolls the page rather than move the mouse pointer about.

But I do get some gesture that operates the "zoom" feature so randomly the text gets bigger or smaller when all I was trying to do was move the pointer. Not quite sure what finger combination it is as I only seem to be able to make it happen by accident!

Anyway as said above a quick Ctrl-0 puts it back to normal.
  • Options
    evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you by any chance have a laptop? If so it could be the touchpad. I get it randomly happening on my HP laptop.

The touchpad has a multi-finger mode where depending on how many fingers it thinks you are using and what you do with them (:eek:) it does various things. For example using two fingers scrolls the page rather than move the mouse pointer about.

But I do get some gesture that operates the "zoom" feature so randomly the text gets bigger or smaller when all I was trying to do was move the pointer. Not quite sure what finger combination it is as I only seem to be able to make it happen

by accident!

Thanks so much for both replies. Yes I am using a laptop and it happens exactly as you have said. Very frustrating! This is a new laptop but it did not happen with my previous. Anyway, ive done what you both advised and its all back to normal Thanks so much for the help
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is some PCs trying to emulate the way the touchpad works on Macbooks. In the case of my HP failing miserably to come even remotely close.

The touchpad on my work Macbook is faultless but on my own HP laptop it is next to useless. Basic moving the pointer round is no problem but scrolling is a nightmare. More often then not it fails to work.

One of these days I will disable the thing. But look in Control Panel for the Mouse driver section. On my HP it uses a Synaptics driver for the "clever" bits. It has a control app that you can run to configure all the various multi-finger gestures. Might be worth checking if yours has something similar and try turning off various bits to see if that solves the problem.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anniebrion wrote: »
    Press: CTRL + Zero

If you want to decrease the size, press Ctrl and minus key at same time. To increase it, press Ctrl and plus key. Ctrl and zero gives 100%.

I don't know whether it's a Windows or IE function, but just above the time in the bottom right of the screen there's a 'magnify' symbol and a number. Use the drop down menu to set the percentage zoom.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    If you want to decrease the size, press Ctrl and minus key at same time. To increase it, press Ctrl and plus key. Ctrl and zero gives 100%.

I don't know whether it's a Windows or IE function, but just above the time in the bottom right of the screen there's a 'magnify' symbol and a number. Use the drop down menu to set the percentage zoom.

It a browser function. To change text size in windows you need to change it in display properties