Options

David Attenborough

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
He's on The One Show tonight but there was also a show on EDEN today called Ask Attenborough.
Ben Fogle hosts a special event to mark Sir David Attenborough's 85th birthday. The legendary broadcaster answers questions from members of the public at London's Science Museum.
It repeated several times.
http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide#/programme/detail/2302/550

Comments

• Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    They have just asked him about the Jimmy Savile situation. :eek:

As if he would want to comment!!

Good for him he decided to make no comment, and said as he was no longer in a leadership role at the BBC he would leave it to the present BBC heirarchy .... or wtte.

What a daft question to ask him anyway. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    It really says a lot about the greatness of Sir David that he can lower himself to the level of the One Show and Alex Jones.

What a gent. :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact that this Jones woman is even near a BBC1 presenting job is almost as big a scandal as the Savile story itself. Compare and contrast Attenborough to her, and weep.
  • Options
    Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »

Good for him he decided to make no comment, and said as he was no longer in a leadership role at the BBC he would leave it to the present BBC heirarchy .... or wtte.

Not so daft as you think.

Between 1969 and 1973, Sir David was Director of Programmes at the BBC, which meant he was in overall charge of BBC One and BBC Two. That's the kind of time period a lot of these offences date back to.

Sir David was very wise to keep quiet about this at the moment. He may be asked to give testimony to the BBC's inquiry into the culture and practices of the BBC that has been launched. Let's face it, there aren't too many people still alive who know as much as David Attenborough must do about what the BBC was like back then.
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think the fact that this Jones woman is even near a BBC1 presenting job is almost as big a scandal as the Savile story itself. Compare and contrast Attenborough to her, and weep.

she's got better knockers though. You'll have to concede that. :)
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    she's got better knockers though. You'll have to concede that. :)

She certainly has plenty of knockers, so to speak! :p
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is Sir David Attenborough but surely he should be Lord Attenborough as he really deserves the distinction for his 60years to Wildlife presenting after all he is a legend.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a shame this thread is half taken over by AJ comments.
    There's a thread for that here - alex jones cant stand her

Leave this one for discussion of Attenborough :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He is Sir David Attenborough but surely he should be Lord Attenborough as he really deserves the distinction for his 60years to Wildlife presenting after all he is a legend.:)
    Perhaps he doesn't want to be a boring old fart in the House of Lords.

It doesn't matter to me that he is a Sir (although to be honest thinking of all those who get the honour he is well deserving).
    He just seems to be a great guy and has a great career and life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His older brother is Lord Attenborough.

Have you considered David may not have wanted a peerage? I expect he probably didn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Perhaps he doesn't want to be a boring old fart in the House of Lords.

It doesn't matter to me that he is a Sir (although to be honest thinking of all those who get the honour he is well deserving).
    He just seems to be a great guy and has a great career and life.

Well it is'nt up to me its up to the Queen i guess. I just think he derserves it. I would also love to see Michael Palin knighted but that does't look like its happening.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    His older brother is Lord Attenborough.

Have you considered David may not have wanted a peerage? I expect he probably didn't.

Fair enough i suppose it would be a bit confusing having two Lords in the family.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is'nt up to me its up to the Queen i guess.

I've got some bad news for you. It's the politicians who decide who gets a knighthood/peerage, not the Queen. She just does as she's told.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got some bad news for you. It's the politicians who decide who gets a knighthood/peerage, not the Queen. She just does as she's told.

Hell what do i know i'm Irish this knighthood/ peerage stuff is confusing to me as to who deserves what the most. But i wonder was a peerage ever offered to him? And if he rejected it then i say that is a man who is not to interested in status symbols. So good on him.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i say that is a man who is not to interested in status symbols. So good on him.:)
    You mean that "Sir" David Attenborough. If he wasn't interested surely he would have respecfully declined the Knighthood. :D

I don't really know much about it either but I assumed that most Lords via a peerage these days have duties at the House of Lords.
    I don't know if he's interested enough in politics to be arsed have to go to those votes and debates.

Alternatively there maybe just Lord "titles" that they hand out. But to me the title of a Lord given by the Queen/PM means they goto the House of Lords.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

That's The One Show for you :yawn:
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

I thought the Queen ruled over all :confused:
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so daft as you think.

Between 1969 and 1973, Sir David was Director of Programmes at the BBC, which meant he was in overall charge of BBC One and BBC Two. That's the kind of time period a lot of these offences date back to.

Sir David was very wise to keep quiet about this at the moment. He may be asked to give testimony to the BBC's inquiry into the culture and practices of the BBC that has been launched. Let's face it, there aren't too many people still alive who know as much as David Attenborough must do about what the BBC was like back then.
    Exactly. It was actually a completely pertinent question.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But it had to be asked, probably spoken beforehand about it. If they had said nothing then there would be people asking why they did not ask him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps he does not want to be Lord Attenborough and has turned it down, you tend now to have to be prepared to work in the House of Lords if given a peerage and he has plenty to keep him busy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is'nt up to me its up to the Queen i guess. I just think he derserves it. I would also love to see Michael Palin knighted but that does't look like its happening.:)

It's up to two parties. The Queen (actually a committee that decides to offer the honour) and the recipient.

Michael Palin is up to CBE so KBE is the next step.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't bandy about the words "national treasure" often but he truly is one.
  • Options
    ugley_mattugley_matt Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    I'm dreading the day when it comes ;(

You know what i am refering to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Attenborough: 60 Years in the Wild
    - 1. Life on Camera
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00zsqsz/Attenborough_60_Years_in_the_Wild_Life_on_Camera/

I watched this last night and it was a great recap of his shows over the last 60 years. This one concentrated on camera technology and had some classic shots.

Nice way to spend an hour :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ugley_matt wrote: »
    I'm dreading the day when it comes ;(

You know what i am refering to.
    I watched the programme with him & Obama last night and in that they said he has another doc lined up for next year.

Still going strong at 90 I would hope.