Options

Do you ever listen to albums all the way through?

zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
Forum Member
Or do you usually just listen to certain tracks whether it be singles or album tracks that you like?

I hardly every listen to an album in full usually due to not having the time but usually I just can't be bothered.

Comments

• Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never skip a track on a cd
  • Options
    zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    chrisqc wrote: »

Really so whenever you play a CD you have to listen to it from track 1 until the end? every single time?
  • Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    When i buy an album i listen to all the songs.... to see which are my favourite songs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zummigummi wrote: »
    Really so whenever you play a CD you have to listen to it from track 1 until the end? every single time?

I do this too - not every single time, but more often than not. I much prefer albums to individual songs.

It depends on the type of music too. Some genres are better suited to the album format, whereas others work better in smaller doses. And when it comes to things like mainstream pop, often it's only the singles and/or a few select album tracks that are worth the time.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to whole albums because, an album is a whole body of work, not just a few songs. All songs fit in together (although in some cases...dont) and i enjoy listening to all the songs.
  • Options
    TR252TR252 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Most of the time I do. I like the journey an album can take you on and how it flows.

I don't know many people who do it though? Loads of my friends just listen to all of their songs on shuffle.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    A lot of the time when I listen to music it's in my car, and I will usually just stick a CD in and listen to it all the way through because it's a good way to pass the time on longish journeys. So because of that I do frequently listen to albums all the way through

My music listening habits at home are completely different, because when I listen at home it tends to be more based around listening to new tracks/bands and searching stuff out on youtube etc rather than listening to albums I already own, so I will tend to just play specific tracks (and then end up buying more CDs to be played in the car. :D)
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I listen to whole albums because, an album is a whole body of work, not just a few songs. All songs fit in together (although in some cases...dont) and i enjoy listening to all the songs.

Yes, this ^
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll always listen to an album in full the first time and then if some tracks really connect with me, I might play them more regularly or put them in a playlist, or I might end up skipping some tracks that did nothing for me.

But, I just love when you finally get hold of an album you've been waiting for, for so long, and turning the lights off and just lying there and listening to it from start to finish.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Sometimes I do. It depends on the album I'm listening to. If it's a concept album then the only way to listen to it would be from start to finish. Most of the time I cherry pick the song(s) I want to listen to.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes always i'll usually listen to a whole album and then tracks from others :)
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Yes I do.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Most albums have weak tracks, but they form part and parcel of the album, and are meant to be heard in a particular sequence in order to fully appreciate the album.

Back in the days of vinyl, it was a bit of a faff to lift the needle to find your favourite tracks, but that meant that you listened to the weaker tracks and you grew to appreciate them more over time.

I suppose those weaker tracks will probably not be downloaded by the iTunes generation, but it'll just lead to music collections that look like "Now ..." albums.

I wonder how long artists will bother to release albums other than greatest hits albums?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I generally always listen to an album from start to finish. Most albums are designed to tell a story through the tracks. An example is Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'. The singles are good but the album is so much better if listened to in full, at least in my opinon anyway.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Albums are like films, so I make sure I only own ones I can listen to all the way through. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Yes I listen to albums straight through ( listening to kelly clarkson stronger right now). I drive for a living and listen to CDs in the car. Also I take walk and listen to full albums most of time
  • Options
    farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first buy 'em I listen a few times all the way through unless there's a track that is really unlistenable and even then I try and soldier on in hopes it'll be a grower.

After that I tend to skip tracks I don't care for or prefer my own tracklist order. After recently biting the bullet and going digital over physical cds I tend to go through that phase a lot faster.

I still every so often get the urge to listen to an album all the way through but it is rare. While I'm not of the iTunes generation I think it suits me.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a pet hate of mine on anyone who never listens to a whole album
    I like to get inside the album and artist's mind to listen to the story they are sharing with us

Why bother paying up to 10 quid just to listen to the singles, when even then it only represents quarter of the album. I normally find myself listening to the album tracks more than the singles.
  • Options
    manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »

Same here. Listen all the way through.
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    I generally always listen to an album from start to finish. Most albums are designed to tell a story through the tracks. An example is Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'. The singles are good but the album is so much better if listened to in full, at least in my opinon anyway.

I agree, if you only listen to the LAP singles you would miss the little beauty that is (Pray For) Spanish Eyes. I mean people say M can't sing but her voice on that chorus is just something else!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, if you only listen to the LAP singles you would miss the little beauty that is (Pray For) Spanish Eyes. I mean people say M can't sing but her voice on that chorus is just something else!

Very underrated vocalist Miss M is. The new songs from Something to remember, Evita and Ray of light just prove what a great vocalist she was back then.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends, if I'm out and about with my headphones in then ill pick and choose. If I'm at home however, that's when I tend to listen to a whole album
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    Albums are like films, so I make sure I only own ones I can listen to all the way through. :)

This is true... a lot of albums - many of McCartney's for instance, and prog rock ones like Renaissance, have tracks that blend into each other, so even to listen to them on shuffle would be wrong. Classical music fans dismiss pop music, but some of the greatest pop and rock albums are like symphonies, each with individual 'movements' but still all part of the same work.

God I sound pretentious today, better look in the mirror to make sure I've not turned into Paul Morley. :o:p