Should obesity be stigmatised?

Comments

• .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    No it's not. I know someone who eats quite a bit and they don't put any weight on. By not putting any weight on, I mean very noticeably.

People like that are very rare though. Most people who seem to eat a lot or badly, don't actually. For example my friend is tiny, but she eats junk until it's coming out her ears, but when you look at how much she actually eats, it's maybe a third of a burger and half the chips for example, so she's actually not consuming anywhere near the calories you'd think.. People think I eat a lot all the time because when we go out for a meal, I'll have a pig out, but at home I eat normally, but they don't really see me eat at home.

Age comes into it as well, in general the older you get the less calories you need. When I was a teenager, I really did eat like a horse, then I hit my 20's and BAM!, I can't do that anymore and I always have to watch what I eat.

People who genuinely eat a lot and badly and don't gain weight are very rare. Indeed many studies have shown it's more than likely, just perception. Having a slow or fast metabolism is pretty rare, most people are within a normal range. In fact the more overweight you are up to a point, the faster your metabolism is (faster side of normal) to try and burn it off.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think you should stigmatise the obese...they've got enough on their plate already.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    People like that are very rare though. Most people who seem to eat a lot or badly, don't actually. For example my friend is tiny, but she eats junk until it's coming out her ears, but when you look at how much she actually eats, it's maybe a third of a burger and half the chips for example, so she's actually not consuming anywhere near the calories you'd think.. People think I eat a lot all the time because when we go out for a meal, I'll have a pig out, but at home I eat normally, but they don't really see me eat at home.

Age comes into it as well, in general the older you get the less calories you need. When I was a teenager, I really did eat like a horse, then I hit my 20's and BAM!, I can't do that anymore and I always have to watch what I eat.

People who genuinely eat a lot and badly and don't gain weight are very rare. Indeed many studies have shown it's more than likely, just perception.

That's probably true but isn't it all kinda beside the point anyway?

I mean, just cos one of your mates can "eat burgers all day" and not put on weight, if you are putting on weight then clearly your diet is not correct for you.

It's not like we're battery chickens who are forced to eat an arbitrary amount of food each day.
    If you're putting weight on, it's time to consider that you need to eat differently, regardless of what other people are doing.

*EDIT*

I should say, if a person likes their food and they're overweight and okay with that, good luck to them.
    The dodgy part is when people start trying to make excuses to justify it.
  • Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to echo the sentiment that obesity shouldn't be stigmatised but at the same time it shouldn't be seen as being encouraged or 'normalised' either. Everyone deserves a right to feel comfortable in their own skin, but we shouldn't be afraid to discuss how for the majority of overweight people it is more down to the amount of calories they put in compared to the amount of calories they burn off as opposed to any genetic or medical issue.

I appreciate that for some people there may be a genuine medical reason why they put on a lot of weight, or indeed have difficulty shifting it but this is surely only for a minority of people, as opposed to the number of people that appear to claim this as a reason.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomore wrote: »
    The majority of the population exists in a range of 200-300kcal from each other and do not possess hugely different metabolic rates.

I'm a medical writer by the way...
    Splendid. Then you can provide a reputable link- say from the BMJ - for your suggestion that metabolic rates are pretty similar for everyone.
    nomore wrote: »
    and I think zx50 is one of them:D

Are you now engaging in a lively dialogue with yourself? And is that the standard of your professional writing?
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That's probably true but isn't it all kinda beside the point anyway?

I mean, just cos one of your mates can "eat burgers all day" and not put on weight, if you are putting on weight then clearly your diet is not correct for you.

It's not like we're battery chickens who are forced to eat an arbitrary amount of food each day.
    If you're putting weight on, it's time to consider that you need to eat differently, regardless of what other people are doing.

*EDIT*

I should say, if a person likes their food and they're overweight and okay with that, good luck to them.
    The dodgy part is when people start trying to make excuses to justify it.

Well yes, I'm not disagreeing with you, I was simply challenging ZX's idea about people being able to eat loads and not put on weight. I'm not about to use how people I know eat as any kind of direction for myself, I'd get in a lot of trouble that way!
    Forum Member
    Splendid. Then you can provide a reputable link- say from the BMJ - for your suggestion that metabolic rates are pretty similar for everyone.

Sorry for answering for noone, I can't link on my phone, but there's plenty on it from various reputable sources if you just Google. there's also a very informative Horizon programme on the matter.

You can deny it all you like, but it doesn't change that it is fact.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well yes, I'm not disagreeing with you, I was simply challenging ZX's idea about people being able to eat loads and not put on weight. I'm not about to use how people I know eat as any kind of direction for myself, I'd get in a lot of trouble that way!

Eating a lot of fat and carbohydrates every day.
    Forum Member

S'okay, I was just using your post as a springboard for something that I wanted to say. :)

Does DS really have a "feel" about it that leads people to assume that posts are likely to be intended as confrontational?
    I really never feel like that so it's not something that occurs to me when posting.
    Again, the above is merely a question for idle consideration and not intended to be confrontational either. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for answering for noone, I can't link on my phone, but there's plenty on it from various reputable sources if you just Google. there's also a very informative Horizon programme on the matter.

You can deny it all you like, but it doesn't change that it is fact.

And yet there's plenty of people out there who are different sizes and don't eat a lot more than the average person.
    Forum Member
    S'okay, I was just using your post as a springboard for something that I wanted to say. :)

Does DS really have a "feel" about it that leads people to assume that posts are likely to be intended as confrontational?
    I really never feel like that so it's not something that occurs to me when posting.
    Again, the above is merely a question for idle consideration and not intended to be confrontational either. :blush:

It seemed a little bit confrontational to me, but if it wasn't, then no problem, just my perception is all:)

I'd like to think that I'm not too much of an easily offended type.
  • SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is wrong with people in this country ? Just because somebody is fat they shouldn't be looked down on, it's pathetic and actually quite evil.

If you were in school and made fun of somebody's weight you would be seen as a bully, is that what this country wants to become, a bunch of bullies ?

There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to lose weight, that is a good thing, but to stigmatise them is just wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    What is wrong with people in this country ? Just because somebody is fat they shouldn't be looked down on, it's pathetic and actually quite evil.

If you were in school and made fun of somebody's weight you would be seen as a bully, is that what this country wants to become, a bunch of bullies ?

There is nothing wrong with encouraging people to lose weight, that is a good thing, but to stigmatise them is just wrong.

Yeah, there seems to be a demonise all obese and disabled people since this government got formed in 2010, or more precisely, the Conservatives.
  • EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member

No, people have the right to look how they want, not e dry one wants to be thin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, there seems to be a demonise all obese and disabled people since this government got formed in 2010, or more precisely, the Conservatives.

I know they can be blamed for a lot of things but come on now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, people have the right to look how they want, not e dry one wants to be thin

What about someone pigging out on food every day that results in them eventually needing an operation on the NHS that could have been avoided?
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like Europe has an obesity problem that will reach epidemic proportions in 2030, with Ireland predicted to have the most obese people in Europe. This was reported on extensively this week.

With regard to UK, this is going to have serious implications for the NHS and other services too, equipment will need super sizing too. Although I don't think people should be ridiculed for being obese, we do have to stop the softly softly approach and tell it like it is. Only a few % of people are overweight due to medical issues, the rest is down to simple bad eating choices and a lack of exercise. Personal responsibility is key and this needs to kick in at an early age. Parent who allow their children to become obese should have assistance by social services to parent correctly, and in the worse cases the children should be removed from the household. I

There needs to be a concerted effort on tackling this. Education is key - nutrition, health and cookery lessons should be compulsory for both sexes. Algebra is all very well and good to learn but having a healthy body is far better for everybody and for society too.

But our long hours work culture doesn't help people to live a healthy lifestyle. I am lucky, although I work I have time to exercise. People who commute long distances don't have time to do much in the way of exercise and calling for a takeaway or slinging a ready meal into a microwave is the easiest option after a long day. We live life too soft too - jump in the car when a 15 min walk will get you there; our clothes and dishes are washed by machines; we watch a lot of TV and kids don't climb trees anymore (health and safety) but they play a lot of XBox. All these modern day conveniences give us more time, but what do we do with that time - we scoff and slump. So, stigmatise no, but don't tiptoe round the subject either.
    Forum Member
    What about someone pigging out on food every day that results in them eventually needing an operation on the NHS that could have been avoided?

It's their choice
    Forum Member

Seems, to me, that the only way you can really force a political angle into this is due to the way the current lot seem to go with the whole "If there's a problem, tax it until it goes away" thing quite often.

Even so, they're not actually responsible for the problem. They're just greedy bastards for trying to make a few quid out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So Osbourne hasn't made sly digs towards the disabled during Conservative conferences? Cameron's made slight digs towards the very overweight people on benefits.
    Forum Member
    So Osbourne hasn't made sly digs towards the disabled during Conservative conferences? Cameron's made slight digs towards the very overweight people on benefits.

Dunno about the disabled but, let's face it, if somebody's ate so many pies that they can't get a job (and that's the only reason they are in that state) then I think it's fairly justifiable to be critical of such a person.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do people think they have the right to comment on how other people live their lives, make personal remarks and make judgements? I just don't understand why society has become so judgemental and intolerant.

I don't think anyone should be 'stigmatised' what a nasty idea.
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »
    Why do people think they have the right to comment on how other people live their lives, make personal remarks and make judgements? I just don't understand why society has become so judgemental and intolerant.

I don't think anyone should be 'stigmatised' what a nasty idea.

Completely agree with this

It's the reason I prefer animals to humans!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure that this qualifies your earlier post if I'm honest and your date of 2010 and it being the tories fault seems somewhat arbitrary.

Not trying to be rude here, just my view on it.
    Seems, to me, that the only way you can really force a political angle into this is due to the way the current lot seem to go with the whole "If there's a problem, tax it until it goes away" thing quite often.

Even so, they're not actually responsible for the problem. They're just greedy bastards for trying to make a few quid out of it.

I can pretty much agree with this though.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Do people really see obesity and being overweight as normal and acceptable though? I don't know anyone (myself included) who is happy being overweight and see it as being normal. I would love to be my 10 stone slim self again(I have 4st to lose) but it's going to take time and patience because it didn't go on over a few months. I don't need to be shamed by people, the NHS or doctors whilst trying to lose weight though.

Well yes I do. Fat people have always existed, so what's not normal?