Options

What's the point of UNESCO World Heritage designation?

OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...If they aren't afforded protection by the UN?

It is sickening to see ancient sites that have survived millennia being destroyed.

Looks like Palmyra is next :(

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/14/isis-syria-palmyra-iraq

Comments

• Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be hard to do without thousands of soldiers there.
    Maybe they should be?
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I think the designation is to stop the lawful government of a country ( or landowners if the site is owned privately) from being developed into a theme park or knocked down to make room for a housing estate.
    Syria and Iraq would probably argue that they have enough on their hands trying to stop the slaughter of their people to save sites like those from the monsters in IS - I wish we could protect them, but that will need more military involvement than other countries have been willing to give.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    Be hard to do without thousands of soldiers there.
    Maybe they should be?

I do think this is one of those times we should, we dive in if oil is in question , protecting historical places should also be a concern.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I do think this is one of those times we should, we dive in if oil is in question , protecting historical places should also be a concern.

I think we should be there to protect the millions of ordinary men, women and children who are trying to get on with their lives while a war rages around them and/or they are forced to live under a medieval dictatorship. And to protect heritage. And to protect ourselves. IS, and its clones elsewhere, should be stopped, and stopped now, by the UN and the armies of the rest of the world.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Palmyra would be a priceless loss but people are more important than things. And interfering, once again, would probably do more harm than good. I think we should admit we were wrong and let /tacitly support Syria and Iran to beat back the threat and let balance be restored again.