So basically the secret of Lost was...

Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
... that is was all just a very very long episode of Ghost Whisperer?

:(

(Just finished watching this afternoon, hence why I am the last person on Earth to know just how naff and dissapointing it all was)

Comments

• AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. 5.5 of the seasons were not about dead people, only half of the final season was.
  • Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    No. 5.5 of the seasons were not about dead people, only half of the final season was.

Well.... up to a point that is so.

BUT since the ending as it was had been written along with the opening episode, basically it was just a series about how some people would (eventually) die and then not know they were dead until they could be guided into the light a la Ghost Whisperer.
  • AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every story is about people who will eventually die. The ending is just an epilogue to the main story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Sigh - another one who didn't get it.
    Forum Member
    Since the main beef seems to be the resolution of each characters personal arcs - I notice there is not much discussion about the climax to the Island story - in where Jack defeats MIB, stops him from getting off the island and the saves the island from destruction, then dying - having passed on the baton to Hurley as protector - is everybody ok wih that bit? Or has the purgatory angle completely overshadowed it.

If you are happy - I suggest you just enjoy that side of the story as in many eyes it had nothing to do with the flashes (it does really but people don't seem to make the "connection" [see what I did there] :)
  • Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BUT since the ending as it was had been written along with the opening episode, basically it was just a series about how some people would (eventually) die and then not know they were dead until they could be guided into the light a la Ghost Whisperer.
    If you believe that, I have some magic beans available for a very reasonable price...
  • lostantlostant Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    I am very happy to belong to the band of brothers that loved lost. It doesnt matter to me that others didnt get it, in fact if they were unmoved by the ending after following these characters for 6 years then I feel a bit sorry for them. Lost for me is by far the best ever tv drama and it will take something amazing to surpass. I will be watching every episode again with new eyes, and cant wait to do so.
  • Reiver97Reiver97 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh I got it. I just think it was a huge cop out. I loved Lost, probably my fave "genre" show of the last decade but I loved the sci-fi of it. And none of that was explained - in the end we got some naff B-movie style Indiana Jones scenes in a cave with polystyrene rocks and a fairy tale Christian ending.

Maybe I will learn to love the ending. I was gutted with The Soprano's ending on the night but after reflection I think it was perfect. I hope when I look back on Lost I can feel the same. But right now I just feel hugely let down.
    Forum Member
    Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean its not true. Why be so dismissive of something you have no idea about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you believe that, I have some magic beans available for a very reasonable price...

It seems perfectly believable to me- it would explain the significance of Desmond's catchphrase 'See you in another life, brother.'

I know Desmond ended up being given a much more important part than was originally written for him, but I think the catchphrase was surely intentional.
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Since the main beef seems to be the resolution of each characters personal arcs - I notice there is not much discussion about the climax to the Island story - in where Jack defeats MIB, stops him from getting off the island and the saves the island from destruction, then dying - having passed on the baton to Hurley as protector - is everybody ok wih that bit?

To be honest I think a lot of people completely missed this. Who knows, perhaps they'll pick up on it in a rewatch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reiver97 wrote: »
    Oh I got it. I just think it was a huge cop out. I loved Lost, probably my fave show of the last decade but I loved the sci-fi of it. And none of that was explained - in the end we got some naff B-movie style Indiana Jones scenes in a cave with polystyrene rocks and a fairy tale Christian ending.

Maybe I will learn to love the ending. I was gutted with The Soprano's ending on the night but after reflection I think it was perfect. I hope when I look back on Lost I can feel the same. But right now I just feel hugely let down.

It was far more Hindu/Buddhist than Christian, given the imagery (Dharma- the path to enlightenment) and the fact that they were all a bunch of heathen sinners. :D
    Forum Member
    It wasn't just christian - it encompassed a number of religions and also atheism and agnosticism. As well as faith and science. Quite a feat.

Christian, Islam, Sikh, Shinto and Taoist symbols were all present in the coffin scene. Dhama is the teaching of Buddha and the frozen donkey wheel being alligned is akin to turning the wheel of dharma - so if anything those are rich in Buddhism.

There also Polynesian myths and even Hawaiian ones.

The mythology of Lost is therefore made up of many belief systems as well as various Mythology's
  • craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lostant wrote: »
    I am very happy to belong to the band of brothers that loved lost. It doesnt matter to me that others didnt get it, in fact if they were unmoved by the ending after following these characters for 6 years then I feel a bit sorry for them. Lost for me is by far the best ever tv drama and it will take something amazing to surpass. I will be watching every episode again with new eyes, and cant wait to do so.

I honestly dont think it would be like watching it through new eyes because so much of it was irrelevant. I think if I were to watch it again I would just feel even more let down
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    craigy132 wrote: »
    I honestly dont think it would be like watching it through new eyes because so much of it was irrelevant. I think if I were to watch it again I would just feel even more let down

It's all relevant, cause everything had an impact on the characters.

Let me ask you this; in your life, what makes something relevant? Learning new stuff? Having new experiences? Accomplishing great feats? Reaching your goals?

So what about the days you dont do any of that stuff? Are all those days irrelevant? If so how much of your life is irrelevant? I'm sure (and quite rightly) that you dont consider any part of your life irrelevant. :)

If you visited Stonehenge, you wouldnt learn its secrets, but I bet you'd have a great time. Would your visist have been an irrelevant waste of time?
    Forum Member
    There was very little that was irrelevant. Even some of the flashbacks in the first three seasons that seemed to be going nowhere showed how the characters were before the island and their eventual redemption. (yes, even the Jack tattoo one)

Even in the Pilot - Locke shows Walt how to play Backgammon. He says "Two sides," holds up the pieces - "one is light, the other dark" - there are a lot those kind of "A-ha" moments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sigh, indeed. I've had to explain this several times to work colleagues and friends over the past few days.

As for your comment about the religions... I think the banner in the church speaks volumes: http://i.iimmgg.com/images/th/f2f05d60c92400143a7d5edca9e59efc.jpg

EDIT - Hmmm... there is a HD version of that image kicking about somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I had to watch the Finale twice, the 1st time there were distractions (getting child ready for school etc) so it didnt have my full attention and I was angry at the resolution.
    But after watching it a 2nd time - i was in bits - utterly brilliant!
    have now started watching season 6 from the beginning - its amazing what you catch when you know the outcome. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got it.

I liked it generally.

I wish they had answered more.

But they didnt.

Moving on....into the light I go.....:D
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    craigy132 wrote: »

I don't think I could watch it again either because then i'd realise just what a gigantic mountain of unanswered questions there are. And let's get one thing straight, leaving so many unanswered questions IS an almighty cop out. Why did people watch the show and keep watching? Because of the mystery and because of the unanswered questions!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So basically the secret of Lost was...

It was a show designed to drag you in, keep you hooked, then drop you off a giant cliff at the end!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    I don't think I could watch it again either because then i'd realise just what a gigantic mountain of unanswered questions there are. And let's get one thing straight, leaving so many unanswered questions IS an almighty cop out. Why did people watch the show and keep watching? Because of the mystery and because of the unanswered questions!!

Just out of interest - I assume these questions you are referring to are like: "What is the Island?" .... Any other specific ones?
  • craigy132craigy132 Posts: 1,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It's all relevant, cause everything had an impact on the characters.

Let me ask you this; in your life, what makes something relevant? Learning new stuff? Having new experiences? Accomplishing great feats? Reaching your goals?

So what about the days you dont do any of that stuff? Are all those days irrelevant? If so how much of your life is irrelevant? I'm sure (and quite rightly) that you dont consider any part of your life irrelevant. :)

If you visited Stonehenge, you wouldnt learn its secrets, but I bet you'd have a great time. Would your visist have been an irrelevant waste of time?

Its not real life though - its TV! Im sure brushing their teeth and other mundane stuff had an impact on their characters but it doesnt mean it makes for satisfying TV
    I think my problem is that I never saw it as a 'character based drama' ( the phrase which everyone seems to use to describe lost ) i thought of it as sci-fi which I suppose is why I was ultimately let down
    Forum Member
    Ok which answers would you like? I'm genuinely interested.
  • QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Ok which answers would you like? I'm genuinely interested.

http://lostfanfic.blogspot.com/2010/05/ultimate-list-of-lost-unanswered.html

Off you go mate... :D