Options

The Official Christmas Radio Times 2014 Countdown Thread

Comments

• Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our decorations will go up sometime the weekend starting Friday the 12th. We will take them down on Friday the 2nd.

That moment, when they are down, packed away and you look around a house that now looks empty and bare, is probably the most depressing moment of the year. And then there is a the hellish month of January to get through.:(

Buts lets not think about that, just yet.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smokeycat wrote: »
    I was wondering when do the people on this thread put up their Christmas decorations?
    Do you put them up on around December 1st (or maybe earlier)?
    A week before Christmas? On Christmas eve?

I'm curious to know what is the earliest and latest date someone puts them up.

We put ours up the first/second weekend of December (the exact weekend is determined by the calendar) and bring them down the first weekend after New Year's Day.

So we'll be putting them up the weekend of 6/7 December and bring them down on 3/4 January. (And I'll probably be the one sorting them out, as I've got the week of the 1st off work.)
  • Options
    BatfinkBatfink Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Very true. :D

Totally agree with having the tree up when the Radio times is out. As sad as it may sound I like to read it with a glass of port :)
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit over excited with regards to the decs! I always put the tree up on Advent Sunday. It feels right to me! After all, people light candles for advent, so why not imitate candles with twinkling fairy lights? My decorations and Christmas ornaments go up around 5-8 December. So it'll likely be Saturday 6th for the Decs!

But, my own created tradition always has them down on New Year's Day. To me New Year is a New Start! So by lunchtime New Year's Day, the flat is all lovely and clean. It's also a great way to get rid of a hangover!
  • Options
    livia123livia123 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to resetting my password, just so I could post in my favourite thread on DS. Missed the competition but have been lurking all the way through.
    I would strongly expect the film "Merry Christmas" (Joyeau Noel) to get a showing this year. It's shown most years, usually in a poor mid morning slot but think, given the 100th anniversary, that it deserves something better.
    For any who haven't seen it - it's a film about the Christmas Day truce focusing a little more on the French and Germans, as well as the British. If I recall, Diane Kruger from Troy was in it.
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Ours go up the week before Christmas and stay up until January 6th

Mine go up around December the 13th and stay up until January the 6th.
  • Options
    Anthony_RyanAnthony_Ryan Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 2 will be having a Christmas edition of Friday Night Is Music Night on December the 17th at the Mermaid Theatre. It will be presented by Jeremy Vine.
    To get tickets for this and to find out more details then please visit the Radio 2 page at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Bennett and Lady GaGa cheek to cheek 11.55pm Friday 19 December BBC One
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an eager beaver and put my decorations up today. Went to the shops and bought new decorations and myself and my mother had a big sort out of all the old, tatty and broken baubles and things. Felt a bit pointless putting everything away just to get them out again next weekend. Currently watching a Christmas episode of the Vicar of Dibley, feeling very festive
  • Options
    smokeycatsmokeycat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm an eager beaver and put my decorations up today. Went to the shops and bought new decorations and myself and my mother had a big sort out of all the old, tatty and broken baubles and things. Felt a bit pointless putting everything away just to get them out again next weekend. Currently watching a Christmas episode of the Vicar of Dibley, feeling very festive

Sod It! I might put mine up tonight as well. :blush:
    I wIll probably put them up and then sit down with a beer and watch Bad Santa ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sod It! I might put mine up tonight as well. :blush:
    I wIll probably put them up and then sit down with a beer and watch Bad Santa ;-)

Do it, I won't judge you ;-)

I have an urge to start mulling some wine
  • Options
    adw2007adw2007 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    Our lights will be going up next Sunday and the tree on Monday. Not putting the lights on til Monday night though.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adw2007 wrote: »
    Our lights will be going up next Sunday and the tree on Monday. Not putting the lights on til Monday night though.

Be a devil! Do it all, including turning on the lights, next Sunday. It is Advent!
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    Tony Bennett and Lady GaGa cheek to cheek 11.55pm Friday 19 December BBC One

I went to see Lady Gaga in Newcastle last night-great show. I remember her Thanksgiving special she did with the Muppets last year, shown as a Christmas special in the UK by Channel 5. I enjoyed watching that, so I'll be watching.
  • Options
    adw2007adw2007 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Be a devil! Do it all, including turning on the lights, next Sunday. It is Advent!

Maybe, however I live with my parents and i'll have to convince them first!
  • Options
    FishyFishFishyFish Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Anyone know where the "Next Week" section has gone in the new layout? They've removed it from the last page and replaced it with a useless section telling you what's in the issue you've just got to the end of...

It's that time of year when the release dates bunch up in readiness for the Christma issue, and I want to know what they'll be.

Thanks.
  • Options
    BurnaldoBurnaldo Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    There is that horrible bare look to our front room when the decs come down, but as you say that's not for a few weeks yet..
  • Options
    livia123livia123 Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to be in Berlin for work for the first few days of December, so that's my excuse for putting them up next Saturday :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FishyFish wrote: »
    Anyone know where the "Next Week" section has gone in the new layout? They've removed it from the last page and replaced it with a useless section telling you what's in the issue you've just got to the end of...

It's that time of year when the release dates bunch up in readiness for the Christma issue, and I want to know what they'll be.

Thanks.
    The next week column has gone since September how many people read a magazine from the back page so why they have that bit I don't know and its annoying when they keep saying rt just got bigger its been ten flaming weeks now so its not just happened!

Next weeks edition should have the dates in them but for your info they are November 29 December 4 and then the Christmas issue from 6th
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV2 confirm a celebrity release the hounds for Christmas starring the cheeky girls
  • Options
    Paul_HayesPaul_Hayes Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    ITV2 confirm a celebrity release the hounds for Christmas starring the cheeky girls

Merry Christmas, everyone.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    I can never remember how far in advance the RT Christmas cover is revealed. Is it just a couple of days before it goes on sale?
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thats my Christmas sorted
  • Options
    FishyFishFishyFish Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    FishyFish wrote: »

Thanks.
    The next week column has gone since September how many people read a magazine from the back page so why they have that bit I don't know and its annoying when they keep saying rt just got bigger its been ten flaming weeks now so its not just happened!

Next weeks edition should have the dates in them but for your info they are November 29 December 4 and then the Christmas issue from 6th

Thanks.
  • Options
    BoyontbridgeBoyontbridge Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I was wondering when do the people on this thread put up their Christmas decorations?
    Do you put them up on around December 1st (or maybe earlier)?
    A week before Christmas? On Christmas eve?

I'm curious to know what is the earliest and latest date someone puts them up.

Ours usually go up around a week before.I don't likke them up too early as they become familiar and lose their magic. Also, we always have a fresh tree and I love that wonderful pine smell that fills the living room. Down on 5th Jan