Options

Burglar left bruised and bleeding by retired boxer, 72

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/5698062/Burglar-left-bruised-and-bleeding-by-retired-boxer-72.html

Looks like the old boy did a right number on the scumbag. Good for him and three cheers for the judge for supporting his actions.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the ambulance chasers will get involved at some point, but it's only right you can confidently exercise your rights to protect yourself and your family if some nobber comes through the window at 3am.

Comments

• Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do too, well done to the old lad.
    I'm not often a supporter of violence but I think his actions were appropriate and quite brave.

I think we have to be cautious though, and in before the obligatory Tony Martin argument starts.
  • Options
    Grabid RanniesGrabid Rannies Posts: 4,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an odd time of day to do a burglary!! Mr Burglar obviously had 'issues'.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The action was clearly justified in this case and the guy did what was needed so well done.

This does not mean an open season with home owners doing what they want but does show that the law worked in this case as it usually does in such cases.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I saw this on FB last night was going to post about it here I even wrote a thread out but then noticed the date before I hit post

I thought I read it before
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Yeah, that's where I got it from but didn't notice the date. How weird this has gone viral after all this time. :o

Hopefully he's out now and will go round again and get another beating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good for him.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I do too, well done to the old lad.
    I'm not often a supporter of violence but I think his actions were appropriate and quite brave.

I think we have to be cautious though, and in before the obligatory Tony Martin argument starts.

Indeed, this was clearly self defence and I think the law worked as it is supposed to here.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to this chap. His actions were reasonable, and justified.

The law supported him, as it always does in such situations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The action was clearly justified in this case and the guy did what was needed so well done.

This does not mean an open season with home owners doing what they want but does show that the law worked in this case as it usually does in such cases.

So then it presumably does mean home owners doing clearly justified actions that are needed. Good to have cleared that one up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So then it presumably does means home owners doing clearly justified actions that are needed. Good to have cleared that one up!

To be honest, it has always been clear. The law allows for reasonable force in the circumstances, which covers every eventuality.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good man!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, it has always been clear. The law allows for reasonable force in the circumstances, which covers every eventuality.

Combined with which, a trespasser is always de facto in the wrong. Start from there and work backwards seems a reasonable basis for a law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Combined with which, a trespasser is always de facto in the wrong. Start from there and work backwards seems a reasonable basis for a law.

Trespassers are not always there with malice though, which is why any force used has to be reasonable in those circumstances.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,531
    Forum Member
    Well done - congratulations to the old guy, and the judge :D
  • Options
    Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Well done that man.
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..Shame on that retired boxer for hurting an intruder and injuring him, the offender was simply taking out his aggression on a society that is increasingly marginalised, I hope this is taken to the European court of human rights and.......oops sorry.... was possessed by the spirit of a Guardian reader just then.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When he pleaded not guilty due to not remembering what happened, I'd have loved the judge to have said "Would you like Mr Corti to help you remember with another right hook?" :)
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..Shame on that retired boxer for hurting an intruder and injuring him, the offender was simply taking out his aggression on a society that is increasingly marginalised, I hope this is taken to the European court of human rights and.......oops sorry there, was possessed by the spirit of a Guardian reader just then.

bullseye! or shall I say Knockout punch!
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »

Yes, I agree. I don't know what some people find so hard to understand about it. When I've become involved in Tony Martin type threads, it's clear that revenge fantasies play a part.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I agree. I don't know what some people find so hard to understand about it. When I've become involved in Tony Martin type threads, it's clear that revenge fantasies play a part.

Big time. As if movies on such themes weren't enough, they actually want to exercise it out in reality. Surprised there aren't any "real life game" type experience where you can do this sort of thing in a safe environment!
  • Options
    CitizenofPhobosCitizenofPhobos Posts: 1,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..I just realised the story is from 2009 lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Big time. As if movies on such themes weren't enough, they actually want to exercise it out in reality. Surprised there aren't any "real life game" type experience where you can do this sort of thing in a safe environment!
    I think you've got a business plan there! Pretend burglars could be illegal immigrants doing workfare before deportation.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I think you've got a business plan there! Pretend burglars could be illegal immigrants doing workfare before deportation.

Oh god! Imagine how many DS members would love to go on such experiences! They'd probably spend all their time at them getting their...issues out...if you get my meaning.

Well I called it here first, I'd better copyright it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Oh god! Imagine how many DS members would love to go on such experiences! They'd probably spend all their time at them getting their...issues out...if you get my meaning.

Well I called it here first, I'd better copyright it :D
    Yes, you need to contact the government for funding right now!
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The burglar had what was coming to him & is probably a better form of rehabilitation than a lousy cut short jail sentence or community service.