Options

Gender stereotypes and you.

November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
Forum Member
Are you an epitome of a traditional, stereotypical blokey-bloke/girly girl, or is that the complete opposite to you? Maybe you fall somewhere in-between?

For instance; men, are you mad about football? Do you like explosive action films with car chases and your steaks rare? And women, are you mad about shoes? Do you like chick flicks or rom coms and wearing dresses?

As a man I have no interest in football, I wear pink and I have cried at plenty of films (albeit in private). OTOH I spend hardly any money on clothes, I've never worn makeup in my life (apart from the one time my mate's missus at the time thought it would be a laugh to paint my nails) and I find most rom coms boring.

I guess I'm a fairly middle-of-the-road bloke. How about you?

Comments

• Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate going shopping. Can't see why anyone would do it for any longer than the absolute minimum required to buy the first thing you see. Whenever I am forced into going shopping I get hungry and want to eat instead.

Does that count?
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Im a contradiction sometimes.i can be girly, love shopping, clothes, shoes etc.But I hate soppiness, cheesy movies etc.Im a bit of a tomboy in my head and would rather go boozing in an old holt's boozer with the lads than to a nice wine bar with my girls, im a mans woman.Im not one for female solidarity either,I have never been a loyal friend and
    growing up I was always a Daddys girl and would defend him to the death.When I hear a couple row I automatically side with the man.Dont know what is going on in my head to be honest
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like most people - I have traits that are stereotypical to both genders.

I like my steak rare, I like football/rugby, I don't like war films but otherwise have a broad taste in cinema (including the occasional chick-flick/romcom). I like shoes and baking and do all the DIY.

There are no 'girl jobs' in my house :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all man. During my breaks I like tea and cakes, I like the colour pink, and I'm good at sewing. :D
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not into football, but would be far more at home with blokes at Upton Park than with girls on a shopping trip. I am car mad. Non-romantic. RomComs bore the pants off me. Happiest in a pub. Try to wear clothes as trendy as poss for my age (and pear shape!) but will not spend hours looking for them. Never have and never would wear make-up. I like my steaks rare and my curries HOT!

I think I'm pretty stereotypical blokey for a gay one.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most women I know get far more drunk than men, if that's any help.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate football and most mainstream sports. I watch soaps, big brother and love cheesy music, especially boybands. I had the best night ever at the Big Reunion gig. I own 3 pussy cats. I don't like drinking down the pubs and dislike most stereotypical 'lad culture'. I don't do any DIY, nor am I into cars. I am an absolute nature geek.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate football and most mainstream sports. I watch soaps, big brother and love cheesy music, especially boybands. I had the best night ever at the Big Reunion gig. I own 3 pussy cats. I don't like drinking down the pubs and dislike most stereotypical 'lad culture'. I don't do any DIY, nor am I into cars. I am an absolute nature geek.

And consequently a complete babe magnet then, I should think :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    And consequently a complete babe magnet then, I should think :D

I've been with women who wanted a badboy, but were generally disappointed.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do i cry at films? No, they're not real. Never understood that.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Somewhere between George and Zippy with occasional lapses into Bungle.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you an epitome of a traditional, stereotypical blokey-bloke/girly girl, or is that the complete opposite to you? Maybe you fall somewhere in-between?
    For instance; men, are you mad about football? Do you like explosive action films with car chases and your steaks rare? And women, are you mad about shoes? Do you like chick flicks or rom coms and wearing dresses?
    As a man I have no interest in football, I wear pink and I have cried at plenty of films (albeit in private). OTOH I spend hardly any money on clothes, I've never worn makeup in my life (apart from the one time my mate's missus at the time thought it would be a laugh to paint my nails) and I find most rom coms boring.
    I guess I'm a fairly middle-of-the-road bloke. How about you?

From your user name I thought you were a girl/lady :)

I am not a stereotypical type of woman possibly.
    I do not like chick flicks as such but will watch them with my man who does like them.
    I prefer a good thriller.

I love sport, lots of sport, contact sport..
    I like a drink or six, usually a good wine but a nice bottle of lager will do me just as well.

I love to dress to impress, but do not enjoy the shopping side to that.
    High heels a must on the right occasion.
    I have my nails and hair done a lot

I feel I am feminine enough, but can man up to any situation if I want/need to.
    After typing all that, I do not know what I am now, maybe a inbetweeny!
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate football and most mainstream sports. I watch soaps, big brother

I am not cross with you, just disappointed.
  • Options
    ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say stereotypically speaking my traits are more female I suppose, but then some traits aren't. I hate shopping (it's a chore, not a hobby. Liking shopping is like liking the dusting imo), and I'm not into men's clothes or fashion at all (I am most probably the worst dressed at any given moment, I have no style when it comes to men's fashion). I do know more about women's fashion, though, and would probably prefer to wear it :blush: At least I'd look better (not good, but better).

I do like rom-coms and chick-flicks, two of my favourite films are 'How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days' and 'Mean Girls', but I like action movies too (there are good and bad films in every genre). I have cried at films and TV too (discretely, of course). I don't eat meat (rare or otherwise) but I do eat fish and seafood. I am an animal lover, but that's neither male nor female imo, just standard compassion. I hate sport, I find no entertainment in watching football (I find it's popularity as bewildering as that of shopping) and I'm not a big drinker. I don't like the taste of alcohol so when I drink I tend to stick to strawberry cider :blush: I watch reality TV and Home and Away, but no other soaps. I do watch dramas and comedies too (I'm not sure that's gender specific though).

All in all, a bit mixed, leaning more toward female traits I suppose. I'm quite feminine in my mannerisms and behaviours too. Which goes some way to explain my single status and few friends, all of whom are female. I have no male friends, I don't get on that well with other guys. I just don't know how to connect with guys; since primary school my friends have been girls.

Oh well, I am what I am *refrains from belting out Gloria Gaynor* :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not cross with you, just disappointed.

Oi! :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I guess I'm more of a tomboy than a girlie girl. I love jewellery, nail polish, pink and pop music (stuff like Britney and Katy Perry) but I never wear make up and I can barely walk in high heels. I have no interest in weddings, babies, celebrity gossip, reality TV, soaps, chick flicks, make up and other girlie things. I hate the idea of girlie days or spa days and would rather go to a theme park or play sport. I'm a geek and love computers and the latest technology and would rather spend time in the Apple Store than in a clothes shop. In fact I'm the one who gets called on to fix computers for family and friends :D I live in jeans nearly all the time and only wear a dress when I absolutely have to. Sometimes I wear skirts but I mostly wear them in the summer when it's very hot. I watch a lot of sport on TV and play computer games. I'd rather go to a pub than a fancy restaurant as you don't have to dress up.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I do, I'm quite mixed and all over the place I think.

I dislike football, like motorsport, have a respect for Rugby (a tough sport), like baseball.

I don't skimp on clothes and take care of my appearance

I don't drink much, but when I do, I don't drink lager or beer. I drink "man's drinks" and "womens drinks" quite comfortably.

I like action movies and rom-coms and have cried at movies

I appreciate art and creative stuff

I work out a fair bit and take fitness seriously, but that's mainly because my job involves sitting on my ass a lot and I don't want to spread/get fat.

I've been told numerous times that I can hold conversations like a woman would, my OH thought I was gay because of this when she first met me. That's a flipping gender stereotype right there.

I eat steak medium/rare

I allowed my OH to put makeup on me for a portfolio (she was a makeup artist and photographer at the time). Although she got carried away and make me look like a lunatic so it never made the cut.

I like gadgets and technology
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been told I have a male outlook.

I've never used fake tan, had my nails done, I can count on one hand how many times I shave legs/ underarms per year, don't like rom-coms, reality tv, celebrity culture, girly nights out or gossiping in girly cliques, I'm not squeamish or phobic about anything, I'm not gushy or sentimental about relationships, I'd rather walk through a forest or sit on a windswept beach in December than sunbathe in the Med in July ( I've always thought sunworshipping is a girly thing).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I always wear dresses, shorts or skirts. I very rarely wear jeans, I usually have my hair down (it's very long) and make up on. I love shopping and chatting to my friends. I love getting girly things like my eyebrows done. I love a lot of different music and enjoy a sing along to 'girly' songs as much as I do listening to other styles of any music.

I also love PS3 games, I'm big on football, no one's ever beaten me on fifa, Ilike some typical 'blokey' tv shows. I love sports cars although I unfortunately can't even drive. I'm more into action or drama than romantic style movies and I don't often wear heels...mostly because I'm small and clumsy. I've had a fake tan about four times and it was pretty pointless as I'm tan anyhow, I've never worn fake nails really.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have of late become acquainted with Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bit of both for me. I'm male.

On the one hand...

I don't like football, F1 or any sports particularly.
    I don't drink often and don't particularly like beer.
    I don't eat steak, or any meat for that matter.
    I have no interest in having to own the fastest car, or tinkering with mine to make it faster or look better.

On the other hand...

I do have a job which I would say is 99% done by males (Why having no interest in football can be difficult)
    I don't like to talk about 'feelings'.
    I don't like to bother the doctor with trivial issues.
    I don't like romcoms.
    Every single woman I ever see is judged on how attractive she is.
    I will let an attractive woman pull out in front of me at a junction. Anyone else can forget it! :D
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say I an the epitome of the stereotypical 'bloke', although there a lot of bloke-ish things that I do, but there are also many ways in which I go against the trend, for example I take a keen interest in the arts.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fulfil a lot of gender stereotypes. I dress girly, spend hours in the bathroom every morning, like to gossip, love Baileys on the rocks, wear a lot of pink, watch Eastenders religiously.

The only thing I can think of right now that contradicts my 'girliness' is that my favourite tv shows are Spartacus and Sopranos.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    It's interesting reading the responses here. I guess the majority of us fall somewhere in-between, possessing both masculine and feminine qualities. Just goes to show that you can't pigeon hole people into black and white boxes. :)
  • Options
    Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're going on gender stereotypes, I'm a rather 'male' woman. I love F1, follow football (not as much as F1) and most of my leisure time is spent PC gaming. My steaks are rare/medium rare depending on mood. I hate shopping, and due to dodgy ankles, very rarely wear heels, though I do like to dress up girly when I get the chance to.

So, a mix of both, really!