Options

Insomnia

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know.....and it really pisses me off when you get so called advise from people who pass out two minutes after their head hits the pillow.....

Oh, and this is so true! When I was working, my horrible boss used to say she understand cos she took a little longer to fall asleep on a Sunday night! THAT'S NOT INSOMIA!!!! But she was horrible anyway!!! :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record, I avoid alcohol, caffeine and exciting TV after 7pm. I relax my whole body when I lie down in bed (the usual "feet go to sleep; ankles go to sleep; knees go to sleep..." finishing with the chest, after which I breath out slowly.) Then I plug my iPod into my ears and listen to quiet speech. This can be a BBC radio drama or an audiobook, for example. If I'm lucky, I'll manage to hit the pause button before I fall asleep!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Oh, and this is so true! When I was working, my horrible boss used to say she understand cos she took a little longer to fall asleep on a Sunday night! THAT'S NOT INSOMIA!!!! But she was horrible anyway!!! :yawn:

Trust me chandlersbing you are not alone.....I use to feel so desperate...I thought I was the only person who suffered from insomnia.....but then I did a little research and discovered that there are around a million people in the UK alone, who are starring in desperation at the bedroom ceiling every night.....Posts like yours bring us all out into the open so that we can pass on to others what worked for us......even if that means going to your Doctor.....Yours does seem to be un-sympathetic....however he or she is fully aware that if used irresponsibly sleeping tablets are addictive....however if all else fails they do work.....and in my case they removed the "fear" that I would`t sleep.....and that of course meant that I was relaxed in the evening and was`t worrying about sleep.
    Best Wishes
    Tony.
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope you have a sound nice sleep tonight, OP.

I hope I do, too. :( Am watching my programmes, then gonna take a shower, then have a read in bed for half an hour. Reading makes me tired anyway. Hopefully...!

Let us know tomorrow. :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing that annoys me the most at school is when people go "I'm SO tired, I didn't go to sleep until 12 last night!"

I'm like, I'd love if I could go to sleep at 12! And when people go "Why don't you just try lying down and closing your eyes?" I'm just thinking "Do you think I haven't tried that?!"

:o

Anyway, good luck OP. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing that annoys me the most at school is when people go "I'm SO tired, I didn't go to sleep until 12 last night!"

I'm like, I'd love if I could go to sleep at 12! And when people go "Why don't you just try lying down and closing your eyes?" I'm just thinking "Do you think I haven't tried that?!"

Unbelievably true! Makes you want to throw an alarm clock hard at their heads, don't it just :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone suggested a drop or two of scotch ?? There's a man in a local nursing home who is 102 yrs olds and he swears by it. :)
  • Options
    WiddyWiddy Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not_orange wrote: »
    Has anyone suggested a drop or two of scotch ?? There's a man in a local nursing home who is 102 yrs olds and he swears by it. :)

Drink is not the answer! - You might pass out drunk after a few, but you will not have a good sleep, not to mention this could lead to far more serious problems than insomnia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how the OP got on.

Myself, I slept like a baby, but I still have time for a moan... I slept through my alarm!! - by two hours! I set my alarm for 9.30... woke up at 11.30! Sighhh. Oh well, at least I managed to get to sleep which of course, is the most important thing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did sleep! Not all the way through; I woke up a couple of times for a short while, and didn't drift off til about half 1-ish, but it was so much more than I've had in months! I had a long bath, relaxed, and 'got friendly with the other half' and it all seemed to help, as per tips.

I think that the main reason I did sleep was talking to others who were in the same boat; the reassurances. I've felt so alone for so long in this, that you guys really helped. I kept getting myself wound up about it, which obviously doesn't help, so just being assured that I wasn't alone was a huge boost. Even if it was a one-off and I don't sleep well tonight, I've had one good night.

Thank you again; you're all fab! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did sleep! Not all the way through; I woke up a couple of times for a short while, and didn't drift off til about half 1-ish, but it was so much more than I've had in months! I had a long bath, relaxed, and 'got friendly with the other half' and it all seemed to help, as per tips.

I think that the main reason I did sleep was talking to others who were in the same boat; the reassurances. I've felt so alone for so long in this, that you guys really helped. I kept getting myself wound up about it, which obviously doesn't help, so just being assured that I wasn't alone was a huge boost. Even if it was a one-off and I don't sleep well tonight, I've had one good night.

Yey!! Really pleased to hear this!

I expect you've given your body clock a much needed kick up the bum now, so things should keep improving BUT as ever, don't worry about that for now! You've got some long overdue sleep and for now you're feeling better :D Well done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yey!! Really pleased to hear this!

I expect you've given your body clock a much needed kick up the bum now, so things should keep improving BUT as ever, don't worry about that for now! You've got some long overdue sleep and for now you're feeling better :D Well done!

Thank you! Your help was fab and I really appreciated the time you took with your advice. Am off into town tomorrow too, to try the Bach Rescue Remedy. You're a star. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Your help was fab and I really appreciated the time you took with your advice. Am off into town tomorrow too, to try the Bach Rescue Remedy. You're a star. :D

You're welcome! I've tried so many things myself that I like helping people sort out solutions from old wives tales - I know how crazy lack of sleep can make a person :p

Rescue Remedy is fab, make sure you pick up the 'night' one rather than the normal one. Though normal one is ace if you get stressed in the day :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try some melatonin ,works for me ,i was really ill a couple of yrs ago and now have probably 3-4 bouts of insomnia a yr ,although not suffering from depression anymore i find the body resists trying to sleep and focusing on the lack of sleep makes it worse .

Really odd because before the depression i could sleep like a log .Even after heavy drug benders.

Good luck.
    :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

Fantastic.....as you say what really helps is advice from those that have been there themselves......Never forget...you are not alone.:)