Options

Amazon books selling for one pence?

phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was looking at Buddhism for Dummies on Amazon and quite a few are selling for one pence in good condition, can you really buy a book for that much or is it a con?

Comments

• Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Probably a fiver or so in postage and packing.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought books for £0.01 and they have mostly been fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2,80 packaging which I think is good.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Go for it then, I've downloaded free kindle books, some of which have been fine, others self-published, badly written, poorly edited claptrap. But a proper published book for less than £3 is excellent.
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought many books from Amazon sellers for 1p. Check for sellers stating 'very good condition'. There is just the standard £2.80 postage on top and there you have a book for £2.81! Never have been disappointed yet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought dozens of books from Amazon for a penny and they are no different from buying from shops, I look for the good as new information and also if they are in hardback and I tend to buy hardback as the condition stays very well, better than a paperback, it depends what you are looking or using it for- good luck:D
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought "Veronica decides to die" by Paulo Cuelo for 1p
    was slightly more including postage and packing
  • Options
    *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I have loads of books, all in excellent condition - most don't even look read, and I was hoping to sell some on Amazon - I did list a few but it was hopeless, so much stuff going for 1p you really stand no hope in hell of getting enough to make it worthwhile. Very annoying.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for it then, I've downloaded free kindle books, some of which have been fine, others self-published, badly written, poorly edited claptrap. But a proper published book for less than £3 is excellent.

Unless I really like the author, my limit for a Kindle book is £3-4, which isn't bad for a few days entertainment.

Many new authors will give away their first book for free, or a few pence, on Kindle in the hope of building a loyal readership so that they can then charge more for subsequent books.

I tried selling some old books on Amazon for 1p but it really wasn't worth the hassle of regular trips to the Post Office just to make a few pence profit per book on the postage. You really need to be selling lots with a regular turnover to make it worthwhile. It's a lot easier just to donate them to a charity shop.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking at Buddhism for Dummies on Amazon and quite a few are selling for one pence

I just looked and the cheapest I can see is £4.48 plus p&p. Purely out of curiosity, have the cheap ones all gone or am I looking in the wrong place?
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    I have bought many books from Amazon sellers for 1p. Check for sellers stating 'very good condition'. There is just the standard £2.80 postage on top and there you have a book for £2.81! Never have been disappointed yet.

Snap! Go for it OP!
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy second hand paperbacks, for £2.81 incl postage, thru Amazon all the time and they've always been fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I just looked and the cheapest I can see is £4.48 plus p&p. Purely out of curiosity, have the cheap ones all gone or am I looking in the wrong place?

You was looking at the book at the top of the page, see the second one down, its a later version of the book but still good a 1p.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Probably a fiver or so in postage and packing.

This .1p for the hardback, 4.94 p & p(I live in Spain).
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have bought hundreds of CDs and books for a penny plus postage, CDs tend to be in better condition for obvious reasons and books vary but are in one piece and perfectly readable
  • Options
    Nattie01Nattie01 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I have loads of books, all in excellent condition - most don't even look read, and I was hoping to sell some on Amazon - I did list a few but it was hopeless, so much stuff going for 1p you really stand no hope in hell of getting enough to make it worthwhile. Very annoying.

I've actually found that I have lost money on a couple of occasions when you factor in postage and packing - some books cost a lot more than £2.80 to post. I can't understand how people can possibly make a profit. :confused:
  • Options
    justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nattie01 wrote: »
    I've actually found that I have lost money on a couple of occasions when you factor in postage and packing - some books cost a lot more than £2.80 to post. I can't understand how people can possibly make a profit. :confused:

It's important to check the postage and decide how you are going to pack the book before you list it. That way you don't get caught out. You also need to factor in Amazon's fees as well.