Options

Does the green party have better morals than the other parties?

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Caroline Lucas was on the BBC not even agreeing with her own party policy on legalising brothels and she wanted government legislation to ban a nipple on page 3. I can't even imagine the mess they would turn this country into, they are completely deluded. They can stay in Brighton messing things up and far away from any real power.

As has been pointed out a few times, they're not messing things up in Brighton. They're not likely to form the next government, but a little Green input into govt policies wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Caroline Lucas was on the BBC not even agreeing with her own party policy on legalising brothels and she wanted government legislation to ban a nipple on page 3. I can't even imagine the mess they would turn this country into, they are completely deluded. They can stay in Brighton messing things up and far away from any real power.

She can disagree with the main party if she wants. Unlike what some people think, it isn't a dictatorship.

Personally I don't agree with legalising brothels, nor do I agree with supporting Palestine or the legalisation of cannabis. But on the whole I support the majority of their policies.

I suspect it is the same for most supporters of most parties. There are policies you support and some you don't.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Green policies being analysed and questioned. It's the unjustified smears I object to.

I haven't seen you moan about some of the unjustified smears about Tory policies that have been posted on here. Lets face it, politics is very tribal, and this forum just reflects that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    I haven't seen you moan about some of the unjustified smears about Tory policies that have been posted on here. Lets face it, politics is very tribal, and this forum just reflects that.

I don't agree with any unjustified smears, but I can't be everywhere. So I generally just respond to posts where I have a particular interest.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    iMatt_101 wrote: »
    'Building a fairer society

The Green Party would:

Enforce a cap on bankers’ bonuses and reduce the pay gap between those at the top and those at the bottom.'

I've never really understood the focus on a single groups bonus scheme.

Surely if there is a specific tax on bonuses it should cover *every* industry whether they be estate agents, accountants, lawyers, mobile phone salesmen, train drivers or bankers?

As to Greens. From what I've seen there is a considerable ongoing debate in the comments columns in the local press about the Greens in Oxford.

The local Green management team all seem to be highly paid professionals living in desirable areas who do their utmost to make sure the lower classes are kept firmly in their place.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As has been pointed out a few times, they're not messing things up in Brighton. They're not likely to form the next government, but a little Green input into govt policies wouldn't hurt.

It sure sounds like it is a mess. Why all the reports about ridiculous meat free days and votes of no confidence? I don't read much about them doing well unless it is in the fawning Guardian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can disagree with the main party if she wants. Unlike what some people think, it isn't a dictatorship.

Personally I don't agree with legalising brothels, nor do I agree with supporting Palestine or the legalisation of cannabis. But on the whole I support the majority of their policies.

I suspect it is the same for most supporters of most parties. There are policies you support and some you don't.

It sounds like a load of unworkable nonsense. £72 pound guaranteed income and the whole IS, Al-Qaeda membership being made legal? If anyone thought the Islington Labour politicians were out of touch these Greens seem to be from another planet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like a load of unworkable nonsense. £72 pound guaranteed income and the whole IS, Al-Qaeda membership being made legal? If anyone thought the Islington Labour politicians were out of touch these Greens seem to be from another planet!

It is like people who thought slavery was wrong. At first there were not many of them, then the movement grew.

The Green movement is just the same. It WILL grow because it is the right way to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sure sounds like it is a mess. Why all the reports about ridiculous meat free days and votes of no confidence? I don't read much about them doing well unless it is in the fawning Guardian.

ALL the reports?

As I said it is the same article repeated again and again.

Meat Free Monday was an election pledge. They tried it and it didn't work out, so they stopped it. Surely we want politicians who keep their pledges, yet don't carry on with things that don't work out?

The vote of no confidence was contrived by the Tories and Labour as a poor attempt to oust the Greens. They really don't like it when other parties break their 2 party monopoly of politics.

Oh and only 293 people signed this ePetition on the vote of no confidence.

LOL

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=360
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem like middle class idealists that have no grounding in reality. The UKIP of the left is how I've seen them described. Shambolic, kooky, an embarrassment and naive are words that come up often when you read reports of the council performance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    They seem like middle class idealists that have no grounding in reality. The UKIP of the left is how I've seen them described. Shambolic, kooky, an embarrassment and naive are words that come up often when you read reports of the council performance.

Forget what the establishment media tells you. You need to read the Green's own reports. They are positively glowing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Well that's the sort of thing said by people who don't support them anyway.

It is their first time in control of a council, they've done a good job considering.

I still haven't seen anything bad they've done that justifies them not being in control of the council.

The bin strike was a minor inconvenience and our bins are being emptied.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I still haven't seen anything bad they've done that justifies them not being in control of the council.

I posted this earlier, but you seemed to overlook it in favour of a report from the Green themselves. I guess the vote of no confidence challenge that has been passed as good to go is just a blip?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I posted this earlier, but you seemed to overlook it in favour of a report from the Green themselves. I guess the vote of no confidence challenge that has been passed as good to go is just a blip?

I didn't over look it I replied that it was convened by the Tories and Labour.

Not exactly self interest on their part, and their criticisms of the Greens are weak.

Your attempts at dissing the Greens are poor as well.

Brighton is doing well under the Greens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't need to diss them, I just let their policies speak for themselves.

Their plans to hike council tax to that level require a referendum under law, but let's keep pretending that it's the establishment conniving with the biased BBC to make you feel better. I'm sure that many people would have no problem with their council tax rising at triple the rate of inflation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't need to diss them, I just let their policies speak for themselves.

Their plans to hike council tax to that level require a referendum under law, but let's keep pretending that it's the establishment conniving with the biased BBC to make you feel better. I'm sure that many people would have no problem with their council tax rising at triple the rate of inflation.

You do seem to need to diss them, as evidence by you continually dissing them even though your disses are misses.

What is wrong with them asking for an increase in council tax?

They are not being cowards like Labour who just happen to be asking for a raise that doesn't trigger a referendum. Or uncaring like the Tories who want a freeze and don't care if they can't pay for things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Increase for what exactly? You dipping your hand in your pocket? I didn't think money was needed in this Green wonderland anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Increase for what exactly? You dipping your hand in your pocket? I didn't think money was needed in this Green wonderland anyway?

Adult social services for one thing. Incase you didn't know the Tories are giving less money to councils.

Higher wages for the Greedy binmen who as you know went on strike.
    And yes I pay council tax which will increase too.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Greens are the most vicious and immoral people in politics

"Climate of Hate: His children are urged to kill him, he's compared to Adolf Hitler and labelled a 'denier' – even though he's Jewish. Disturbing article reveals what happens if you dare to doubt the Green prophets of doom"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2934540/What-happens-dare-doubt-Green-prophets-doom.html#ixzz3QUzzAi6G
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • Options
    Forum Member
    warlord wrote: »
    The Greens are the most vicious and immoral people in politics

"Climate of Hate: His children are urged to kill him, he's compared to Adolf Hitler and labelled a 'denier' – even though he's Jewish. Disturbing article reveals what happens if you dare to doubt the Green prophets of doom"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2934540/What-happens-dare-doubt-Green-prophets-doom.html#ixzz3QUzzAi6G
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

This has to be a joke, right? The linked article mentions a few online trolls/fanatics. Nothing to do with the Green Party.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    This has to be a joke, right? The linked article mentions a few online trolls/fanatics. Nothing to do with the Green Party.

I skimread the article, but as far as I could tell they meant "green" as in someone who supports the environment, rather than specifically the Green Party. Although, why they capitalised "green" in the headband/summary is beyond me.

One would assume they were being deliberately misleading to try and spite the party, which is odd because quite frankly the Green Party stand no real chance of getting anywhere, and ignoring them would probably achieve more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I skimread the article, but as far as I could tell they meant "green" as in someone who supports the environment, rather than specifically the Green Party.
    True, but this thread is specifically about the Green Party and its morals.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member

What about the world of trillions created out of thin air electronically?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about the world of trillions created out of thin air electronically?

That's only OK if it makes the rich, richer.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is like people who thought slavery was wrong. At first there were not many of them, then the movement grew.

The Green movement is just the same. It WILL grow because it is the right way to be.

A good example of someone with a polical viewpoint who can't comprehend that there are always shades of grey. This belief that they're oh so right so often results in small minorities going too far, simply because they "know" theirs is the one true way (See greenpeace and the Nazcar lines for instance).