Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    deedee1962deedee1962 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Andy :( what a sad way to end the match.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Murray needs to toughen up mentally, as Djokovic has proved he will go to any lengths to win a slam final, even resorting to feigning injury.
    Murray has been well and truly duped
    I wonder if players should be penalised for feigning injury. How can you beat a fully fit Murray with a wobbly ankle and sore thumb?
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deedee1962 wrote: »
    They are a lot more boring than Rafa, Andy or Novak to me, I don't like Nick at all all his aces bore me to death and Raonic the robot is as boring as hell.

Raonic is dull, but we're talking match-ups, a good server against a good base-liner makes for better matches IMHO.

Two big servers is the dullest thing in the world admittedly.

It's all about personal preference, I know many love the slug-fests.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this Mauresmo's fault ?
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Regardless of whatever happens this has been a brilliant tournament from Murray. People were saying he was finished in the majors, his career will go like the way of Hewitt etc.

I bet Murray fans would have taken this at the time of his WTF performance. I'm not a Murray supporter here but his fans should be proud and I hope they don't give him too much of a hard time after this, the British press put huge expectations upon him.
    Most of the press don't like himnow( I would say that a large mimorty of England as whole hate him now after the ref so maybe the press is showing public felling)
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amazing how many bagels there have been in this slam tournament, especially in the matches between the top players

nadal, berdych, wawrinka all getting bagelled in their defeats with murray likely to join them now
  • Options
    Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagel it Nole!
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Lost a lot of respect for Djokovic after today

Why? He always does his injury histrionics, as do many other players, including Murray (maybe not in the same capacity)

He always raises his arms to the crowd/box after he won a tense point.

The only thing he has been quite rude at when he shouted at the umpire "challenge" despite the umpire already knowing he wanted to

Djoko's psychological warfare has destroyed murray today.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

No, it's Beckers Triumph.
    :D
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murray well and truely thrown the towel in now, embarrasing.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I wonder if players should be penalised for feigning injury. How can you beat a fully fit Murray with a wobbly ankle and sore thumb?

I think if players get the trainer on falsely that's taking it too far. But to stumble about on the court and lose a few games easily.. if your opponent is going to take that as an indication the final is as good as won and then crumble when it turns out it isn't.. then that's not just a feigned injury.. that's a weak opponent.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

It is the fault of whoever in his box was worried about dear Novak cause he shouted up to them "don't eorry he always does this" and that was that.
  • Options
    itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    It leaves a bad taste in the mouth watching Novak win like he has today, the antics etc
    Thought he was better than that
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    doe_a_deer wrote: »
    Sorry, their Wimbledon coverage IS good. You are correct. There are four Grand Slams however. The BBC seem to forget that. Covering one to death does not justify ignoring the other three's existence.

Each channel has paid handsomly for the tv rights ......

Eurosport have the rights to the Aussie Open.

Sky have the rights to the US Open and World Tour Finals.

Channel 4 have the rights to the French Open.

BBC have the rights to Wimbledon.

Even getting and paying for this Aussie semifinal/final rights is a bonus ........ I couldn't see the BBC letting Sky have live coverage or the Wimbledon semi final and finals! The BBC cannot just hijack the rights just as and when they feel like it, the other channels would not allow it as they have paid huge amounts for them.
  • Options
    yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its as much her fault as it was lendl's when andy lost in 2013
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Oh well. The wait goes on for andy in Melbourne
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    Well done Nole he should cut out the theatrics though, he's too good a player for that.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a very friendly handshake. Not surprised really.
  • Options
    shadowassassinshadowassassin Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor from Murray, if he ever wants to win another GS he has to do better, that was a pathetic showing from him.
  • Options
    CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humph! I've got a husband and a 3 year old that expect lunch now. :(
    Sorry about the result Andy, better luck next time.
  • Options
    doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really not that quantifiable though, The Superbowl will get around 200 million watching it. Cricket has over a billion fans in the sub-continent alone, and golfers earn shedloads. Basketball, Baseball have a say too.

Yes, I was taking all that into consideration. Cricket/American football for example are big sports because despite being played in relatively few countries, the countries they are played in have big or huge populations. Whereas the likes of rugby league or darts aren't big sports (big in the UK, I know) because they are only played in a few countries with small populations.

The likes of football, tennis, golf and formula 1 are some of the biggest sports around because they reach a truly global audience.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    It leaves a bad taste in the mouth watching Novak win like he has today, the antics etc
    Thought he was better than that

Have to agree with you ....... my opinion of him has changed, and not in a good way. He should let his tennis do the talking.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good in for Novak considering that he was up against a superior player?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bizza wrote: »
    Murray well and truely thrown the towel in now, embarrasing.

Could you do better? I think not. Easy to say being an armchair warrior.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Oh well. The wait goes on for andy in Melbourne
    I thinks he had his last final here and certainly any chance of winning. All these begals in matches do make me fear betting scandals through
This discussion has been closed.