A Thread For Anyone, Any Gigs, and A More General Discussion of Everything (Part 4)

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure it was in reference to the title Sheezua (female Jesus) and how amy not Lily would be that not her herself.

Plus they are both credited as ushering in the wave of females like Adele, Duffy, Florence, Ellie, Marina etc that went on to have international success creating a revival in British music and a semi British invasion in the states and influence WW.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Evening HM!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey CNBC how's u?
    Forum Member
    A bit tired as I was in the garden nearly all afternoon :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picking up the weeds, any Gnomes that needed sorting :p
    Forum Member
    Well I had to plant some flowers, wash out plant pots and put down beer traps for slugs :D There are some weeds in the front. Might need to get some Resolva :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that was some serious gardening. I've planted my Prism seed patch but don't think it's gonna grow it's been rained at baked and is a sodden heap so will see :p
    Forum Member
    I know :p Prism seed patch? What kind of seeds are they? I saw the rain over your way on the TV news earlier. Meanwhile here in Ireland it was warm and sunny :D I was even wearing shorts to do the gardening!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you bought the Deluxe CD it came with a Seed Patch http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/_MnUfHxSD9Q/maxresdefault.jpg (and it says on the back plant this seed and let the light in) . But you don't know what flowers until they grow they were on the net but I Can't find it :p

And yes grew a bit overcast :p
    Forum Member
    I bought mine on iTunes as usual but I would've bought the CD if I'd known about the seeds :p I hope they turn out nice though. It's a clear night here, which might mean it;s a nice day again tomorrow :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's why I buy physicals the artwork and extras that you just don't get with digital :p.
    Forum Member
    Ah right :p I buy digital mainly for the sheer convenience and because CDs are so expensive here in Ireland! Some shops charge up to €20 for new releases.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow that is expensive it's like here prices have dropped but with the trend of Deluxe Editions they can be like £3 or more extra which is annoying.
    Forum Member
    Yeah it is expensive. It's ridiculous! I don't know why they charge so much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably the price of importing it and Tax but still €20 is like what £18 :eek:
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Afternoon

:) how are you all?

Almost £18 for a new CD? Wow! That's a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm good thanks Mimi :).

And I know it wasn't even that expensive in the 90's the most I remember was £12.99 for a single disc and more for double discs.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

And I know it wasn't even that expensive in the 90's the most I remember was £12.99 for a single disc and more for double discs.

These days there is no single album release though. No one body of work, most release have a deluxe edition. I miss the standard body of work that used to be called an album.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here Mimi it is a trend I cannot abide. If it is an artist I love I will buy the deluxe editions and only usually if the extras are on a separate disc leaving the ALBUM well alone. It's not as bad as re-releases though do not get me started :D
    Forum Member
    Probably the price of importing it and Tax but still €20 is like what £18 :eek:

Yeah it probably would be about that. I think some Irish branches of UK shops don't convert their UK prices to Euros. I've noticed that in places like Debenhams.

Singles were very expensive in the 90s/early 00s though. I remember going to Woolworths and paying £3.99 for a CD single which might have only about three songs on it or even one song and a video or a couple of remixes. It ended up being cheaper to buy the album in the end. I don't miss CD singles. They're fun to collect but they were a rip off really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't looked in a while but certain shops like River Island have the conversions and I always get a sense of glee seeing we got it cheaper :p

And so true £3.99 for three songs. If you were like could be two b-sides and the video hated getting remixes. That is one thing I miss now the b-side. that said the b-sides are probably what we noe call deluxe tracks so it's all relative :D
    Forum Member
    I think M&S has the conversions as well. It's kinda annoying to be honest. Makes everything seem more expensive.

I didn't mind paying for the B-sides and video or other content, but one song and two remixes is a rip off. I can see now why CD singles became less popular in the end. I also hated the whole CD1 and CD2 business. In some ways downloads are better as you pay (here in Ireland) either 99c or €1.29 for a single song or €2.99 for an EP of 4 or 5 songs (usually the single, a B-side or a couple of remixes and a couple of recordings of live performances). It's much better value :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly as the Euro and Pound are more or less on par give or take a Pound.

I have to agree here it's 79 or 99p or £1.99 for most Ep's some are £2.99 it's better value for money and a fairer overall deal for the consumer. A big problem in the UK at the moment is later release dates resulting in Illegal DL.

Also what I think will aid album sales is song's only becoming available to buy once it is chosen as a single. Of course there is now streaming but immediately available tracks do not help.
    Forum Member
    True :p That's fairly similar pricewise. At least you don't have to worry about digital stores running out of stock! Sometimes I'd go into Woolies or wherever to buy a single and they'd be out of stock or they'd only have the tape version or something silly like that. I wonder if CD singles had been cheaper (say £1.99) would they have lasted longer?

Yeah I remember when Britney's Work Bitch was released last September it was released on iTunes all over the world at the same time (even here in Ireland - I was in a lecture with L.A. when I downloaded it :D) but it wasn't released in the UK til November, by which time a lot of fans had probably downloaded it from websites IT Law lecturers don't approve of :p Are they really planning to make songs only available for downloads when they become singles? Will that be a UK only thing I wonder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so I think as DL are 99p minimum and so convenient the Physical never really had a chance.

And it is frustrating most songs are already charting WW and we are twiddling our thumbs. But then on the flip side a big song will open big here and stick around where as else where it's still climbing.