Options

Non football fans liking the World Cup.

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can see how it's a good thing how major tournaments can bring communities and countries together. However what annoys me is the people that can't stand football normally suddenly become interested. Fine but be honest about it not all pretentious and sounding like you are an expert. It's like as it's teams around the world its okay and classy but English football that's just trashy. I've noticed this already at a work training day where 2 middle class guys were discussing the football and various countries. Ordinary they hate football.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are disliking something and having an informed opinion on something mutually exclusive then?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike football and I don't support any team. I do have to watch it occasionally though as my husband enjoys it.

BUT - when it comes to the world cup I love it. I support England all the way, shout at the ref and pretend to understand the rules when I don't have a clue.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just what we need, another thread with a twist on hating or liking football. Seriously OP it really doesn't bloody matter.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Just what we need, another thread with a twist on hating or liking football. Seriously OP it really doesn't bloody matter.

It's not about liking or not. It's suddenly becoming an expert because it's a world cup which is seen as having an intellectual side by some so it's okay to show an interest.
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    It's not about liking or not. It's suddenly becoming an expert because it's a world cup which is seen as having an intellectual side by some so it's okay to show an interest.

I know what you mean. My missus doesn't give a toss during the season. Actively avoids it even, but come WC time she's always telling me the bloody rules and isn't such and such a good player! :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hate football, however i do enjoy watching the world cup .. I havent decided who to support yet, most probably whoever wins :p
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The deepest circle of hell is reserved for these people. :p
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    middle classes watching football - how dare they >:(
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some people think this isn't a world tournament but one reserved only for those people who watch club football all year round. Do Wimbledon and the Grand National get this much hassle?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    You get "annoyed" with non football supporters watching the World Cup? Youre easily annoyed
  • Options
    SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a football fan but I LOVE the world cup. Maybe I'm the only one but I think Britain's got an amazing chance as well. It's a game of three halves but we'll win on penalties :)
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they forget to do a certain secret handshake? Tsk. Shame on them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I dislike football and I don't support any team.

BUT - when it comes to the world cup I love it. I support England all the way, shout at the ref and pretend to understand the rules when I don't have a clue.

Same here. There's just something about the spectacle of the World Cup that draws me, a non-football fan most of the time, into a whirlwind of patriotic fervour. And I'm not normally that patriotic either. It's weird the effect it has on me. :p

I can't wait to join my mates down the pub on Saturday to cheer England on in their first game. :D
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll admit freely to not giving one toss about football. The world cup I feel slightly different, I suppose it's because it's only mildly more interesting when it's countries playing against each other as opposed to clubs.

It only happens every four years. If it happened every year I'd hate it just as much as regular football.

That being said I probably won't even watch it... :D
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    I'll watch it if/when England (or other UK team) gets through to the quarter finals, but not all the group stuff.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a football fan but I LOVE the world cup. Maybe I'm the only one but I think Britain's got an amazing chance as well. It's a game of three halves but we'll win on penalties :)

Britain?! There is no Britain in the World Cup - it's not the Olympics you know! ;-)
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather be with the people who suddenly enjoy than the ones who go on about how much they hate it.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makes up for the football fans who couldn't care less about it
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Britain?! There is no Britain in the World Cup - it's not the Olympics you know! ;-)
    Shame as I'm sure they would've liked to have fielded Ryan Giggs (a Welsh player) in his heyday.

Check out the British values thread for more people confusing English with British BTW.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the football equivalent of that dreadful hipster elitism which plagues music?

"Oh, I support this team, you've probably never heard of them..."
  • Options
    kevraffkevraff Posts: 3,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh God, here we go again ..

Regular football fans talk about 'part-time fans' as though there were such a thing as a professional full-time fan - as though skill and dedication was needed to support football.

They feel contempt for part-timers posing as experts - but they fail to realise that they themselves are only posing as experts. Talking about something endlessly doesn't make you an expert.

The "middle-class prawn sandwich brigade" are particularly despised - as though things were better in the good old days when only young working class men with a penchant for violence went to matches.

Edit: nearly forgot - never bother with football normally, but supporting England all the way.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even LIKE football, but I find it hard to resent people who do. I imagine I'd find it even harder were I a fan myself. What's wrong with just letting people enjoy stuff, whether they do it once every four years or the whole time? It's not like there's only a certain amount of fun to be had and they're hogging some of yours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love football, but obviously don't resent those who hate it. I know a large number on GD in particular seem to dislike football, but a small minority, who hate not only football but also football fans and generally make negative stereotypes about us all, are just ridiculous IMO.

With regards to the OP, I have an aunt who hates football in general, and can't stand it when my uncle sits in the living room, watching a match and completely ignoring her (her words, but then again he ignores everyone when Arsenal are playing!). Yet when the World Cup rolls around, she tries to watch every England match and gets upset when they inevitably lose.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    No interest in football or the world cup, but it's no big deal. It gives me a chance to catch up on all the DVD's that I have been meaning to watch for months. :)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every major sporting event attracts "part timers". You don't have to watch a sport all year around to get interested in the big championships.

I don't follow rugby but I always watch the rugby world cup..

I don't follow water polo, cycling or volleyball (and many other sports) but I got interested in them during the Olympics.

Many people don't watch tennis for 50 weeks of the year but then become addicted to it during Wimbledon.