Kefalonia

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, anyone know what the public transport is like on the Greek Island of Kefalonia? We are staying in the south of the island but don't fancy hiring a car. What about coach or boat trips? Thanks.

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buses were infrequent when I was over there. I stayed in Svoronata, didn't originally plan on hiring a car but after a few days I just hired one. Glad I did, too. Lovely place, btw.
  • Eagle9aEagle9a Posts: 20,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A great way to see the island is to hire a moped/scooter...can be a bit hairy but great fun if you like that sort of thing.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which resort are you staying in?

I've stayed in Loudas several times and I'd say a car is essential there. Not sure about the rest of the island but Greek Island public transport is never the best from my experience.

Also, Kefalonia is a big island with good roads and an awful lot of see and do. It takes a couple of hours to drive from South to North and so public transport, if there is any, would take forever
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hire a car so that you can explore. I stayed in Fiskardo at the top of the island. You def need a car there. But we used it to explore further afield too.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was in Kefalonia about six years ago, the rep told us the island buses ran to GMT; Greek Maybe Time. :D As others have said, hiring a car's the only feasible option if you have any inclination to see more of the island. Make sure you do extensive research on hiring one before you go, to hopefully avoid some of the scams, uh, I mean, perfectly legal T's & C's they impose. Persuading you to take out excess insurance is a very common one, but you can do that in the UK far, far cheaper than you can from the hire company.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing a single bus?? (just back from Skala)

I guess you could use taxi's but it might be expensive.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best way to see the island is hire a car. As others have suggested you may wish to hire a scooter/moped while this is a good way/fun way to see the Island it is never recommended, if you do intend to hire one of these you will probably need to check with your travel insurance to make sure you are covered for this.