Options

The Heath Ledger Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wasnt a massive heath ledger fan before TDK but oh my god he has literally raised the bar on acting in general, best performance i think i've ever seen and i'm not saying that loosely, if the guy don't get the oscar win let alone a nomination there isn't any justice in world! we've lost a massive, massive talent, can't praise him enough.

Thanks for that Dudley. :)

We have lost a massive talent - something that everyone on here is feeling rather keenly at the moment I think.:( Still, what a fitting tribute an Oscar nom would be (altho I still think he should've won for Brokeback). As long as it stands out there alongside all the other performances throughout this year *crosses fingers for a no-show by Daniel Day-Lewis!*;). I'll be crossing fingers, toes & eyes for that.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    i wouldn't worry too much i can't see another performance beating heath ledgers, amazing just doesn't cover it, i think a purchase of some of his other works in order now, can't believe i didn't notice this talented guy before now, but even if he doesn't win the oscar i don't think they could of been a better way to bow out of his film career then that perfomance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wouldn't worry too much i can't see another performance beating heath ledgers, amazing just doesn't cover it, i think a purchase of some of his other works in order now, can't believe i didn't notice this talented guy before now, but even if he doesn't win the oscar i don't think they could of been a better way to bow out of his film career then that perfomance.

Try Candy & Brokeback for excellent performances.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    ah cheers :D lol been wanting to see brokeback for a while actually but now have the incentive too lol but r.i.p heath you were one talented dude.
  • Options
    Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well...what can I say. Heath was beyond astounding. His portrayal of the Joker was stunning, funny, disturbing, comedic yet manic. Laughed so much at parts, had to look away at others. As Dudleymoonboi said, Heath has definitely raised the bar. It is an injustice if he doesn't get an oscar.

Recognition to Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman for their fantastic performances too and Christopher Nolan for a brilliant film with stunning special effects that take your breath away at times.

FFF - my favourite bits were the same as yours and I'm sure the toughest part was the same as mine too, my heart literally hurt at that point. I managed not to cry, I was so disappointed that everyone just got up and left as soon as the credits started to roll and I was almost stampeded while I tried to wait for the tribute. I was a bit disappointed with the 'tribute' itself to be honest, I thought, was that it? I thought he deserved more. But I 'heard something' while I watched the credits which made me chuckle and uplifted my spirits no end and I came home smiling and laughing - I'll pm you, I'd rather not say it on here because I sound like a nutter. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    Rugby Rose wrote: »
    Well...what can I say. Heath was beyond astounding. His portrayal of the Joker was stunning, funny, disturbing, comedic yet manic. Laughed so much at parts, had to look away at others. As Dudleymoonboi said, Heath has definitely raised the bar. It is an injustice if he doesn't get an oscar.

Recognition to Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart and Gary Oldman for their fantastic performances too and Christopher Nolan for a brilliant film with stunning special effects that take your breath away at times.

FFF - my favourite bits were the same as yours and I'm sure the toughest part was the same as mine too, my heart literally hurt at that point. I managed not to cry, I was so disappointed that everyone just got up and left as soon as the credits started to roll and I was almost stampeded while I tried to wait for the tribute. I was a bit disappointed with the 'tribute' itself to be honest, I thought, was that it? I thought he deserved more. But I 'heard something' while I watched the credits which made me chuckle and uplifted my spirits no end and I came home smiling and laughing - I'll pm you, I'd rather not say it on here because I sound like a nutter. :)
    I think the tribute would have been much better right at the end of the film, before the credits started.
    Was it just me ?, I could hardly hear what Bale was saying when he "growled" as Batman!!, he sounded like he had a bad lisp and a heavy cold.:eek:. I loved Gary Oldman, but then he is fabby in anything he does....i could talk about this film all day long:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the tribute would have been much better right at the end of the film, before the credits started.
    Was it just me ?, I could hardly hear what Bale was saying when he "growled" as Batman!!, he sounded like he had a bad lisp and a heavy cold.:eek:. I loved Gary Oldman, but then he is fabby in anything he does....i could talk about this film all day long:o

:eek: I thought it was me and the popcorn munchers and box rustlers behind who I was sorely tempted to make wear said boxes if they didn't shut the hell up. I did struggle hearing what he said sometimes yes. Was considering going to get my hearing tested because it's happened a few times recently, but come to think of it, when I started to get worried was when I couldn't understand much of what he said in Batman Begins last week lol. Then there was this chap Ennis Del Mar a while back, needed subtitles for that fella. ;):p

Thanks FFF, you've saved me the hassle of a hearing test. :p

I agree about the tribute, should have been right when the film ended before the credits so everyone saw it, not squashed and rushed inbetween. A picture or something would have been nice too. Mind you, that would have guaranteed a snotfest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :eek: I thought it was me and the popcorn munchers and box rustlers behind who I was sorely tempted to make wear said boxes if they didn't shut the hell up. I did struggle hearing what he said sometimes yes. Was considering going to get my hearing tested because it's happened a few times recently, but come to think of it, when I started to get worried was when I couldn't understand much of what he said in Batman Begins last week lol. Then there was this chap Ennis Del Mar a while back, needed subtitles for that fella. ;):p

Thanks FFF, you've saved me the hassle of a hearing test. :p

I agree about the tribute, should have been right when the film ended before the credits so everyone saw it, not squashed and rushed inbetween. A picture or something would have been nice too. Mind you, that would have guaranteed a snotfest.
    no, you don't need a hearing test Rose, as soon as I mentioed it to my friend she said "omg, I thought i was going deaf too", I still have no idea what he said in his opening scene....something about Hockey?!!!
    PMSL. good ole Ennis, I had to use subtitles the first time I watched that too:D:o...I think Heath as the joker totally blew Ennis out of the water ,He was amazing...which is why it was so sad, he was bulding up to being one of the greatest actors ever:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After seeing him as the Joker last night, I think he was already there FFF. :)

Waah...Dr Parsnipitus is going to be sooo difficult to watch. *gulps*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We should all go at the same time to that:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think so too. That would be nice. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think so too Rose, he took acting to a whole new level in that film.
    Oh, Dr Parsnipitybiggus.....a very tough on to see, cos that really is the end isn't it:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just flicking through the tv guide and there's a couple of Heath's films on tonight...

10 Things I Hate About You - 8.00pm - Sky Movies Comedy
    Sin Eater - 10.45pm - Film 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just flicking through the tv guide and there's a couple of Heath's films on tonight...

10 Things I Hate About You - 8.00pm - Sky Movies Comedy
    Sin Eater - 10.45pm - Film 4

I watched TTIHAY this morning on the comedy channel - even tho the sound was slightly out of sync, I just left it to run while I pottered about.:) Great film & when all the great quotes came up I had a little smile to myself & thought of all the Heathens!
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed Batman, Rose & FFF
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another great bit from last night was the joker riding along in the police car with his head out of the window, he reminded me of a great big dog, licking at the wind!! heehee:D, funny stuff
    I may watch the sin eater Rose, I actually like that film!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might watch me a Heath film too tonight, something light hearted. A Knight's Tale me thinks. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may watch the sin eater Rose, I actually like that film!!

I had no idea FFF that you liked the Sin Eater :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hayleyg wrote: »
    I had no idea FFF that you liked the Sin Eater :p
    Really, you had no idea?,:D, maybe I should tell you more often then Hay!!!

AKT is the only film I really struggle through, even now.:( It's wonderful to go on the movie forum and read the comments FM's have made about Heath, we all knew how amazing he was as an actor but its lovely to read other peoples responses to seeing him, He has certainly gained many many more fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, you had no idea?,:D, maybe I should tell you more often then Hay!!!

AKT is the only film I really struggle through, even now.:( It's wonderful to go on the movie forum and read the comments FM's have made about Heath, we all knew how amazing he was as an actor but its lovely to read other peoples responses to seeing him, He has certainly gained many many more fans.

Maybe you should :p

Rarely venture over to the Movie forum, but it'll be nice to read others comments

The only one I've not been able to watch yet since January is Brokeback
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys.

Wow, how fantastic was Heath in TDK? Worthy of all of the hype. Just a mesmerising performance.

Obviously there's a couple of difficult moments to watch. You'll know the obvious one but another part that got to me was when Joker says to Batman, "You and I are destined to do this forever," that kinda made me - :( But mostly I was just so wrapped up in his performance that I pretty much forgot everything else. I just love those scenes where he talks about his scars. And the first scene where he's on the TV and the scene with... Well, every scene he's in really. :p

I still need to see the film in IMAX. Hopefully sometime next week. It'll cost me a few quid on the train but it's worth it, no?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Wow, how fantastic was Heath in TDK? Worthy of all of the hype. Just a mesmerising performance.

Obviously there's a couple of difficult moments to watch. You'll know the obvious one but another part that got to me was when Joker says to Batman, "You and I are destined to do this forever," that kinda made me - :( But mostly I was just so wrapped up in his performance that I pretty much forgot everything else. I just love those scenes where he talks about his scars. And the first scene where he's on the TV and the scene with... Well, every scene he's in really. :p

I still need to see the film in IMAX. Hopefully sometime next week. It'll cost me a few quid on the train but it's worth it, no?
    YES steve, it's so worth it, go to the Imax.

Having a morbid day trolling thro youtube and I found this, it made me chuckle and may come in handy at Halloween...the guy on the video is as camp as christmas, bless him....hope the link works!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiuzbQoP9w&feature=related
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow, that's bloody great make up!!!!....i still would!!;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EFNzIBl6W14&feature=related
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's bloody great make up!!!!....i still would!!;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EFNzIBl6W14&feature=related
    Yeah, they did a great job with the scars. This pic shows them off well too:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Glad you enjoyed it SteveOwen - I've still not seen it yet.:o

Just appeared on my homepage:

http://www.orange.co.uk/film/pics/4288_1.htm?linkfrom=hp4&link=box_hero_pos_1_2_tab1_link_title&article=080726x1800x1heronewsfilmcharactersgoheadtohead