Options

So why is it that so many people are not quite getting Alex?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,774
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She's a gorgeous girl with a great voice, seems like a really nice person from what we have seen, and she sings with real emotion and great technique.

What's missing? Something seems to be, because so many people on here are saying that, good as she is, she is not their favourite.

Why? Can we put it into words? I'm asking because I'm not sure I can at the moment.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. She's a fantastic singer but it doesn't hit the spot somehow. Hard to explain really. She was far and away the best tonight but I've still voted for someone else.
  • Options
    jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's great and nothing is wrong it's just she is not unique in anyway and that will be her downfall. Unfortunately. People have seen it all before a hundred times over.
  • Options
    I <3 TweetyI <3 Tweety Posts: 8,286
    Forum Member
    Her performances are faultless, but she doesn't blow me away. I don't know why. Sorry.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,298
    Forum Member
    Her performances are too clean cut, too 'perfect', and I think they lack some emotion, and she does not imo connect with the audience. In fact, I think despite having a very good voice, she is very forgettable. Not a single performance of hers sticks in my mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean i like Alex but agree something is missing maybe that special ingrediant which makes someone have the x factor

Thought her performance was great tonight though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dunkan wrote: »
    Her performances are too clean cut, too 'perfect', and I think they lack some emotion, and she does not imo connect with the audience.

That could be it Dunkan. It's almost as if she is singing in a bubble.
  • Options
    Al Murray fanAl Murray fan Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her performance tonight was very good! She hasn't hit the heights yet, but if she wants to win the competition then she's got to produce week on week!
  • Options
    Official DivaOfficial Diva Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's people not getting her I think it's her not making an impact the way she should.

I'm worrying for her tonight. I have a bad feeling she maybe bottom two with Ruth. :(
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are, she's never been in the bottom 2 once. Louis doesn't know what the hell he is talking about!
  • Options
    roth30roth30 Posts: 3,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her performances are great. If you watch them on youtube,she would be great in concert. I think the main problem is that the producers have made so much of diana,laura,rachel that alex as been left in the shade. But think know as the other girls are going she will come through to the front.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,298
    Forum Member
    froglet wrote: »
    That could be it Dunkan. It's almost as if she is singing in a bubble.

Yup, good image. She could actually be singing in her bedroom on her own and through the use of technology she 'appears' on stage.
  • Options
    Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno.Like with a lot of singers some will get her and some won't. Fortunately, a lot of people do get her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they are, she's never been in the bottom 2 once. Louis doesn't know what the hell he is talking about!

I hope that you are right because she does deserve to still be there.
  • Options
    Imogen MImogen M Posts: 4,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jules1000 wrote: »
    She's great and nothing is wrong it's just she is not unique in anyway and that will be her downfall. Unfortunately. People have seen it all before a hundred times over.

You've nailed it. She is very good but there is just nothing new or interesting about her.
  • Options
    rated_2000rated_2000 Posts: 2,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shes not original, shes like so many before her and like so many others out ther
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her songs are usually so boring, but I can never fault them much. She may be missing that unquantifiable X-Factor.
  • Options
    roth30roth30 Posts: 3,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when people say others before her who do you mean.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    She has a great voice, one of the best on X factor. But there's something oddly 2 dimensional about her. I never get a sense of a personality - or connection to the listener- behind the voice. It's a strange thing.
  • Options
    bananasplitbananasplit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I <3 Tweety wrote: »
    Her performances are faultless, but she doesn't blow me away. I don't know why. Sorry.
    :eek: I read the thread title, and came in to post exactly that

she's a great performer, but, hmm, I sort of read a magazine when she's on
  • Options
    Sudoku-JoSudoku-Jo Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's one of my favourites.

Funnily enough, she's one of my favourites despite her not having a new baby sister / dead wife / children in care / a sore throat / the "likeability factor" (one of Louis' criteria, apparently)....I just love her voice! (Yes, very strange of me, I know.)

As for not connecting with the audience - yes, I know exactly what you all mean - I feel that, too - but it doesn't annoy me with Alex, whereas it did with Leona. I'm not sure why......
  • Options
    werdna67werdna67 Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I've nothing against her, but every week apart from Candyman, I find myself trying to remember what she sang. I can't remember what she sang tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sudoku-Jo wrote: »
    despite her not having a new baby sister / dead wife / children in care / a sore throat / the "likeability factor" (one of Louis' criteria, apparently)....

She does keep mentioning sharing a bed with her sister though.
  • Options
    Sudoku-JoSudoku-Jo Posts: 2,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    werdna67 wrote: »
    She does keep mentioning sharing a bed with her sister though.

Oh dear - I can't remember her saying that - perhaps I was reading a magazine at the time....? (hangs head in shame).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sudoku-Jo wrote: »
    Oh dear - I can't remember her saying that - perhaps I was reading a magazine at the time....? (hangs head in shame).

She's mentioned it a few times over the weeks. Said it tonight when she went home.
  • Options
    XadXad Posts: 1,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that too about the bed -- did she mean she shares a bedroom? Or did she literally mean she shares a bed?

If it's a latter, there's no excuse - she's old enough to make money and buy a frikkin' bed.

She's a good singer, but her performances never excite me. I guess she just doesn't have the x-factor. She's somewhat generic rather than different like Diana, Rachel etc.